Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Custom Trek FX (video)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Custom Trek FX (video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 10:54 AM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Custom Trek FX (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pBbpXmrYs

It has taken a while, but this is an awesome bike to ride.
Old 06-16-13, 02:43 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...stomer-service

Still curious to see that video. You mention it shifts much faster in the front now than it did before;before you were doing a 16t jump,now you're only doing a 10-12t jump.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-16-13, 03:03 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by dynaryder

Still curious to see that video. You mention it shifts much faster in the front now than it did before;before you were doing a 16t jump,now you're only doing a 10-12t jump.
Another "Trek" dealer & Trek customer service, offered to replace the shifters to the correct ones. " I " and I alone decided that I wanted the triple crank, with the smaller chain rings. Even if I had changed the shifter to the correct one, ":yes" it never would have shifted this fast. I had been looking at gearing etc.. & this works waayyyy better than I even expected. If your doubting me, ( I will in box you the extension number to Brain at Trek, & give you the Telephone number of the shop who verified they were the wrong shifter ).. But I had let it go already..
Old 06-16-13, 03:16 PM
martinus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
Another "Trek" dealer & Trek customer service, offered to replace the shifters to the correct ones. " I " and I alone decided that I wanted the triple crank, with the smaller chain rings. Even if I had changed the shifter to the correct one, ":yes" it never would have shifted this fast. I had been looking at gearing etc.. & this works waayyyy better than I even expected. If your doubting me, ( I will in box you the extension number to Brain at Trek, & give you the Telephone number of the shop who verified they were the wrong shifter ).. But I had let it go already..

Wait, your bike out of the box had a triple triger shifters,with a double crank and FD ?

Wow!

I heard stuff like that happening @ performance, but a "high-end" Trek ...
Old 06-16-13, 03:21 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by martinus
Wait, your bike out of the box had a triple triger shifters,with a double crank and FD ?

Wow!

I heard stuff like that happening @ performance, but a "high-end" Trek ...
Yes, that's what happened.. look at any other YouTube video on the 2013 7.6 FX.. They all have the same triple shifter..
Old 06-16-13, 03:22 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Check your inbox..
Old 06-16-13, 07:15 PM
Bravin Neff

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac, 2008 Cannondale Quick 4, 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perusing this and the other thread, am I understanding this correctly that Trek is the one responsible for the parts mismatch? Not the LBS, not your choice in hardware, but that the bike 7.6 FX comes "from the factory" with incorrectly spec'ed components?
Old 06-16-13, 07:29 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by Bravin Neff
Perusing this and the other thread, am I understanding this correctly that Trek is the one responsible for the parts mismatch? Not the LBS, not your choice in hardware, but that the bike 7.6 FX comes "from the factory" with incorrectly spec'ed components?
That is 100% correct.. The 2013 7.6 FX has the wrong Front "left" shifter.... It needed to be a Flat Bar Shifter " for a double road crank " Not a triple MTB ... It shifted worse than a Wal-Mart bike. It would drop out in between the 2 chain rings, or just constantly grab at the large one. You could only make it shift one direction correctly.. or fine that fine line, and then you never knew when it would drop out between the 2 chain rings.. ( dangerous )
Old 06-16-13, 07:42 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
That is 100% correct.. The 2013 7.6 FX has the wrong Front "left" shifter.... It needed to be a Flat Bar Shifter " for a double road crank " Not a triple MTB ... It shifted worse than a Wal-Mart bike. It would drop out in between the 2 chain rings, or just constantly grab at the large one. You could only make it shift one direction correctly.. or fine that fine line, and then you never knew when it would drop out between the 2 chain rings.. ( dangerous )
Trek should do a recall on this, before someone gets hurt.. They offered to fix mine right, " I " choose to change it to a triple etc..
Old 06-16-13, 08:23 PM
Bravin Neff

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac, 2008 Cannondale Quick 4, 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's insane. Trek's quality reputation, as far as I can tell, is stellar. I'm not personally a huge fan of their aesthetics choices, but one thing I have never questioned was their quality record. Hmmm.
Old 06-16-13, 08:41 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Originally Posted by Bravin Neff
That's insane. Trek's quality reputation, as far as I can tell, is stellar. I'm not personally a huge fan of their aesthetics choices, but one thing I have never questioned was their quality record. Hmmm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHJkQYi5s0 not my video, but notice the shifters... Everyone can make mistakes, its just how we handle them..
Old 06-16-13, 09:06 PM
addictedhealer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sweet! I'm gonna powder coat my trek white!
Old 06-17-13, 03:45 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a Google,and couldn't find anything about this being a wide-ranging issue. Can't see why the shifter wouldn't work for a front;I've had mixed road and MTB parts on bikes,some from the factory,and never had any issues. I'm thinking either this was a one-off case where they spec'd your specific bike wrong,or you just got a bad shifter. I'm also thinking that shop was more of an issue than Trek the company.

(shrug) I'd have to actually see the issue first hand.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-17-13, 04:20 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the opposite experience. I went from a triple to a double. There is nothing wrong with a left triple shifter with a double crankset--however, I guess the Shimano is finicky about "road" vs. "mtb". In any case, my new Shimano Ultegra compact double crankset drivetrain is smoother and shifts better the the stock FSA SLK carbon triple that came with my bike. Way lighter and the chainline is much straighter too. Like a totally different bike.
Old 06-17-13, 05:42 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

I did a Google,and couldn't find anything about this being a wide-ranging issue. Can't see why the shifter wouldn't work for a front;I've had mixed road and MTB parts on bikes,some from the factory,and never had any issues. I'm thinking either this was a one-off case where they spec'd your specific bike wrong,or you just got a bad shifter. I'm also thinking that shop was more of an issue than Trek the company.

(shrug) I'd have to actually see the issue first hand.
I just typed in google " flat bar shifters " & was page after page on this issue.. Here is one from bike forums. https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-774557.html & this is a quote from that link : What you need is a front derailleur that will work with the longer cable pull of the flat-bar/mountain left shifter and be contoured to work with the larger chainrings on your bike. That's the Shimano FD-R453 derailleur, available through knowledgeable bike shops anywhere: https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers-front.html#352 (is this case the guy was chaining the dr "not the shifter" these are the shifters : https://www.bikewagon.com/shimano-r44...Fazm7AodWRYA_A or these : https://madnclawbikes.info/product/0/...at-Bar-Shifter You know, I was just thinking, YOUR RIGHT, it never happened... & there all compatible.. Just a bunch of Dumb ass Jacksonville mechanics, don't know as much as you.. If this statement doesn't get be banned, I'm asking to banned myself... Have a great day bud..
Old 06-18-13, 02:46 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry I ruined your day.

I had a Buell S2(motorcycle). When I was coming down the Interstate,the sub-frame that attaches the fairing gave out on both sides. I found out other folks had the same issue. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA,and because I wasn't the only one having the issue,they forced Buell to do a recall.

I Googled the issue you're having. I didn't see anyone else with a 7.6 that had the issue. If all,or even a decent number,of the 7.6's had shifting issues,you'd think there would be people complaining about it. So it's possible the issue was with your specific bike. I'm not saying you didn't have an issue,I'm saying I don't see any evidence of it being widespread. If it was so bad,contact the CPSC and file a complaint. If it's a big issue,they'll make Trek do something.