Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First Fixie - Start Simple or Save Up

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 11:20 AM
jayem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before. I tried to search as best I could.

I'm looking at getting my first fixed gear bike. I'm not sure if it's best to start simple and cheaper or save up and get something better. For example:
  • I could find a bike around $200. From what I've read, don't expect much and plan on upgrades soon after the purchase.
  • I could pickup a Kilo TT (or Kilo TT Pro). A bit more cash up front but some have still said plan on upgrades.
  • Lastly, I could use the "upgrade money" from the Kilo TT and put it towards something like the Wabi Classic.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-31-15, 11:22 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Buy once, cry once. Don't throw a bunch of money at a $200 fixed gear in upgrades hoping it will be something better than it is. Save your money, get the bike you want and that doesn't need a bunch of upgrades.
Old 08-31-15, 11:24 AM
Night_shift

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The slow burn is far more expensive than the flash in the pan but it hurts less.
Old 08-31-15, 11:27 AM
rreahard

Bikes: Are awesome!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#KiloTT
Old 08-31-15, 11:32 AM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Save up, figure out what you really want.
Old 08-31-15, 11:38 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Get a Capitol One card, then spend like there's no tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-31-15, 11:53 AM
Andersper

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I see it, the only real upside to starting out with something dirt cheap and upgrading it is the opportunity to learn some mechanical skills. If you plan to have someone else replace your components, I can't see the why you would want to ride something you weren't happy with in the first place.

It's also hard to tell what you will like and dislike in advance. I'm replacing the handlebars on my Wabi Classic after riding the hell out of it for a month, not because they're broken, but because they're not comfortable for my particular hands on longer rides.
Old 08-31-15, 11:57 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
If you don't need a bike right now, save up for a nice one.
Old 08-31-15, 12:16 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by cDiff Notorious
Save up, figure out what you really want.
^^^^^^^^^This.

Be really honest about what sort of riding you'll actually do, then look for the bike/frame that fits that criteria.
Old 08-31-15, 12:22 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jayem
  • I could pickup a Kilo TT (or Kilo TT Pro). A bit more cash up front but some have still said plan on upgrades.
  • Lastly, I could use the "upgrade money" from the Kilo TT and put it towards something like the Wabi Classic.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!
Do you have perfectly smooth roads where you live?

The geometry on these frames is extremely harsh and they probably won't fit wide tires either.
It's a track frame. It's gonna ride like a track frame on the road.
Hope you have a dental plan, you're fillings are going to be shaken out.
Old 08-31-15, 12:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
To be a little contrary: going fix gear is starting a different life. It is different enough that it may well take take the OP a couple of bikes to get it dialed in. He may well find that he is now riding different roads, weather and light conditions than he did before. And therefore, the bike that will suit him best is not what he would have bought starting out. If he spends $1000 at the start and finds he really wants fenders, a rack and lights, that sweet track bike might just be money poorly spent. A used whatever set up fixed might get him the same answer for far less money.

My first fixed was a tired UO-8. Replaced with a series of sportier Japanese road bikes, all of which were used as 12 month city/rain/winter workhorses. That finally became an old Trek sport bike and will stay that way as long as the Trek lasts. But I picked up a cheap and damaged light sport bike and set it up as a "racing" bike, as if gears never were invented. A blast! That bike gave birth of the idea of a high end custom pure road fix gear racing bike. It will never race, nor will I, but it has the feel, performance and pure fun of the real deal. Because I have ridden so many miles on so many fix gears, I knew what I wanted and this bike was right from the first ride. And not remotely anything anyone could have dreamed up for me 40 years ago. It took going through a lot of bikes to get there. And those bikes cost, in total, a lot less than this new good bike! I am grateful I didn't spend this dough earlier.

Ben
Old 08-31-15, 12:34 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There are something like 115 days until Christmas. Start by being *nice* for the remainder of the year to get on Santa's good side. Then write a great letter and post it to the North Pole, outlining what you'd like in a FG.

While you wait, save your money for the bike that you described in the letter. When it's Yule, you'll be cool either way.

Winning.
Old 08-31-15, 01:49 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Do you have perfectly smooth roads where you live?

The geometry on these frames is extremely harsh and they probably won't fit wide tires either.
It's a track frame. It's gonna ride like a track frame on the road.
Hope you have a dental plan, you're fillings are going to be shaken out.
Sorry but none of this is accurate.
Old 08-31-15, 02:08 PM
andr0id

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Sorry but none of this is accurate.
No, I'm sorry, but you don't know what the hall you're talking about.

I have a steel track bike with similar 74/75 geometry very similar to the Kilo TT mentioned. Very short wheelbase.
Look at the wheel clearance under the down tube and behind the seat post. They are almost identical to the Kilo TT photos with regards to clearance. Look at the fork rake, very similar also.

I have ridden it on the road when I have done maintenance and even on medium coarse chip and seal roads in my neighborhood, it is quite uncomfortable to ride on the street. It would be completely uncomfortable to ride on city streets with ruts, potholes and road debris on a daily basis.

Old 08-31-15, 02:14 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have ridden it on the road when I have done maintenance and even on medium coarse chip and seal roads in my neighborhood, it is quite uncomfortable to ride on the street. It would be completely uncomfortable to ride on city streets with ruts, potholes and road debris on a daily basis.
HTFU. I'm pretty sure jlafitte does know what he's talking about and just because you have weird dental issues doesn't mean you should apply them to everyone else.
Old 08-31-15, 02:17 PM
andr0id

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
HTFU. I'm pretty sure jlafitte does know what he's talking about and just because you have weird dental issues doesn't mean you should apply them to everyone else.
Then he shouldn't lie and tell people a bike with a track geo is going to be nice to ride on the road then.

It's not true unless you're a masochist. Why do you think so many people get a fixed and then dump it on Craig's List?

Because they made stupid purchasing decisions by listening to people like you two.
Old 08-31-15, 02:22 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kilo TT's are hardly ever on Craig's list. There are a lot of crappy fixed gears on Craig's List but the Kilo TT is not one of them. Make a better argument.
Old 08-31-15, 03:29 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a Surly Steamroller and you'll never have to think about it again.
Old 08-31-15, 03:44 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No, I'm sorry, but you don't know what the hall you're talking about.
Haha ok boss.
Old 08-31-15, 03:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I raced long races on a 74 seat, 75 head tube short wheelbase road bike in the 70s on New England back roads. Granted I built wheels to be less than stiff vertically but I was racing what, 21c tires and training on 23c? (We never knew. The sew-ups of the day didn't say what they were.) Did my training on the same roads on that bike. I rode that bike 5000 miles/year. I didn't lose any my fillings. I did put in several 160+ mile days on it.

I loved that bike and I loved riding those roads on it. The poster above may have a frame that is that uncomfortable on the road or perhaps he has gear or riding style that causes that discomfort. The Kilo's angles and geometry alone do not sentence the bike to be a killer on the road.

Ben
Old 08-31-15, 08:28 PM
Ils

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First fixed gear. I would go with craigslist road conversion if you can get it cheap or your first option. Certainly no point in spending money on something you might not even like. Do you know for sure you like to ride fixed? Do you know the geometry that you will be comfortable with? Some track frames have toe overlap, not a deal breaker but first time rider maybe not a good idea. Don't see a point in going with Killo tt pro, not that much better than the regular version. I say ride it, figure out what you want, sell it and get a better bike (Soma, Wabi, All-City, Surly) using your knowledge and experience.

I recently upgraded to a Wabi after riding a road conversion with semi track geometry for 4 years, its a solid light frame, kind of road geometry but still feels lively.
Old 08-31-15, 08:49 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For the record,

- my KiloTT has 28c tires
- I ride it daily on the streets of New Orleans, which are sometimes compared to India
- no fillings have fallen out of my teeth

Have also done about 3000 miles of randonneuring on a Big Block (similar geo).

Loving all of it.
Old 08-31-15, 08:50 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Then he shouldn't lie and tell people a bike with a track geo is going to be nice to ride on the road then.

It's not true unless you're a masochist. Why do you think so many people get a fixed and then dump it on Craig's List?

Because they made stupid purchasing decisions by listening to people like you two.
Lots of people been riding bikes with track geo on the street with no problems. As a general rule of thumb you should avoid ruts, potholes, and other debris in the road and if you must go over it there are techniques to make it a manageable.

Also OP, kiloTT is fine, don't waste money on a $200 walmart clunker
Old 08-31-15, 09:26 PM
jped1981

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been a long time lurker on this forum myself, and I believe everyone will tell you "save and get what you want". However though it may cost more in the long run, sometimes its nice to be able to spend the 200, on a cheaper bike and see how you like riding fixed. I recently started this year with a $200 hi ten steel fixie, and really enjoyed it. Shortly after I decided to buy a pake frame and fork, and moved all the parts from the old bike to the new pake frame. Slowly you can try things out with the different contact point parts and see what you like. It may be kind of difficult at first trying to figure out what would be a first mod, but this forum is a wealth of knowledge and reviews about that kind of thing.
Old 09-01-15, 07:07 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, I'd like to know what upgrades you are thinking about. That would settle a lot of things. Steamroller is a pretty nice choice. I've owned 2 surlys and loved the crap out of each of them. I still kinda want a TT just cause they are fun. I finally got myself a Bareknuckle and howtdamn this bad boy is fun.

Also for all your information, don't just blame the frame. I've run the vredestein tricomps, 23mm tires at 140-150psi and they were still nicer than many 28mm tires I've used. And this was on the crapy streets of seattle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.