Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I prefer my old vintage road bike over my new road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I prefer my old vintage road bike over my new road bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 01:19 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Most framebuilders would disagree. Geometry, fork material, wheels, tyres, all make a bigger difference to ride quality than frame material.
In most respects I'd agree- but the "feel" of metal is not reproduceable in CF. Picture the difference between a plastic Big Wheel and a real steel bike that you may have had as a kid. You could make the bikes handle the same; have the same stiffness and comfort, etc. but the way the different materials transmit the feel of the surface you are riding on, is inherent to the material it is made of. Blindfolded, you can tell the difference between aluminum; steel; titanium; and CF- even if all the bikes were built to handle and respond with the exact same chara cteristics- they just have a different feel as to how the road surface is transmitted from the wheels through the frame. CF reminds me of a Big Wheel....

This is a joke, right? I mean, I rode downtube shifters for many years, I'm very comfortable with them, but the idea that brifters are less efficient is simply absurd.
Depends on where and how you ride, I guess. I live in the hills, and frequently need to make big shifts (i.e. not one or two cogs....but maybe 7, quickly)- With DT's, one flick and you can go fully to either end of the cassette or anywhere in between. With the FD, you can precisely control the trim, on either ring. AND, I like the direct feeling of the DTs- i.e. the lever is directly attached to the cable- vs. the ratcheting mechanism of the brifters. Yeah, brifters can sometimes be a litle more convenient.....but that really isn't an issue for me.
Old 09-15-15, 01:27 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
In most respects I'd agree- but the "feel" of metal is not reproduceable in CF. Picture the difference between a plastic Big Wheel and a real steel bike that you may have had as a kid. You could make the bikes handle the same; have the same stiffness and comfort, etc. but the way the different materials transmit the feel of the surface you are riding on, is inherent to the material it is made of. Blindfolded, you can tell the difference between aluminum; steel; titanium; and CF- even if all the bikes were built to handle and respond with the exact same chara cteristics- they just have a different feel as to how the road surface is transmitted from the wheels through the frame. CF reminds me of a Big Wheel....
Well, if you allowed me to choose the forks, wheels and tyres I'd be prepared to bet that blindfolded, you couldn't tell the difference between identically-configured steel and carbon frames. But we're never going to have the chance to test that hypothesis, so...

Depends on where and how you ride, I guess. I live in the hills, and frequently need to make big shifts (i.e. not one or two cogs....but maybe 7, quickly)- With DT's, one flick and you can go fully to either end of the cassette or anywhere in between. With the FD, you can precisely control the trim, on either ring. AND, I like the direct feeling of the DTs- i.e. the lever is directly attached to the cable- vs. the ratcheting mechanism of the brifters. Yeah, brifters can sometimes be a litle more convenient.....but that really isn't an issue for me.
Oh, I've ridden plenty of mountains. I can't really imagine a scenario in which I'd want to move seven gears in a single shift, and I can click through the indexed gears with a brifter faster than I lose speed with the changes of gradient. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-15-15, 02:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
............Depends on where and how you ride, I guess. I live in the hills, and frequently need to make big shifts (i.e. not one or two cogs....but maybe 7, quickly)- With DT's, one flick and you can go fully to either end of the cassette or anywhere in between. With the FD, you can precisely control the trim, on either ring. AND, I like the direct feeling of the DTs- i.e. the lever is directly attached to the cable- vs. the ratcheting mechanism of the brifters. Yeah, brifters can sometimes be a litle more convenient.....but that really isn't an issue for me.
Have a '83 Paramount with Simplex DT levers, the best, and would never be able to shift while on the hoods climbing like I can on my '13 Propel SL. Can't be done!
Old 09-15-15, 02:12 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
Yep, that kinds sums it up. When given the choice I always lean towards the Peugeot, just seems like a more fun ride. IMO the down tube shifters are a plus. Not saying they are more efficient, just more my style.

History seems to repeat itself, had a 1991 Honda Accord that was lots of fun, handled great, very comfortable, 5 speed, put 257K miles on it. But the paint was fading, needed a timing belt, tires, etc..... Didn't make financial sense to keep it so I bought a new Toyota and sold the Accord. You know the rest of the story.
Hey, if you want to give away the Scattante, I'll pay reasonable shipping. Just saying, you'd be giving up just about everything that makes newer models more fun for "my style".

It is just horrible what history has done to you... (mild sarcasm). Haha
Old 09-15-15, 02:33 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cale
It is just horrible what history has done to you... (mild sarcasm). Haha
Yes, I realize my life if full of hardships, I just take it one step at a time.

I've told my son; who plays trombone, that he will never be able to play the Blues.
Old 09-15-15, 02:38 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
... he will never be able to play the Blues.
Surely he could play these...

Old 09-15-15, 03:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Most framebuilders would disagree. Geometry, fork material, wheels, tyres, all make a bigger difference to ride quality than frame material.

This is a joke, right? I mean, I rode downtube shifters for many years, I'm very comfortable with them, but the idea that brifters are less efficient is simply absurd.
Down tube shifters are much more efficient since there is only the one cable housing at the rear to cause wear and drag. Brifter bikes have 4 cables waving around in the wind, but down tube shifter bikes only have two.
Old 09-15-15, 04:02 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're dilemma is that riding bikes is fun!

For some reason, no matter how much love i give or time I've ridden my carbon bike - every time I think about the best ride of my life, it was on my dad's 87 Italian steel frame. My closest riding partner feels the exact same way - maybe it's because that's what we rode when we did our first long rides together. Either way, we still will take the old frames out together. The carbon modern bike is my rain, everyday, and putting on the miles bike. Love the steel, so got to take care of it.
Old 09-15-15, 04:24 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Some of my fondest cycling memories were made on an old BSO which I found in the garbage and resurrected years ago. It was a piece of crap; I wasn't really even into cycling at the time; didn't keep track of how far I rode or how fast [read: slow] I went- I just rode the darn thing and had a ball- probably largely because I didn't have to give a thought to the bike- as long as it went when I pedaled, and stopped when asked to, that was it. I knew nothing of "good bikes"; it didn't matter- it was about the ride, not the bike. I never came close to having such fun on my former Venge- even though these days, I can ride further and faster than when I had the BSO. It's more fun when you don't take it too seriously. If you have an expensive bike and some gadgets, it forces you to take it more seriously than you ought.
Old 09-17-15, 09:10 AM
RidesaJapanese

Bikes: Takara Deluxe Touring 12 speed, Trek Tracklight 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a most likely early 80's Takara 12 speed, I can't imagine ever wanting another road bike. Like another poster said, the 80's steel road bikes were in a class of their own. I did toy with the idea of maybe upgrading it to an 18 speed, but it's fine the way it is. I'm 44 with bad knees and sciatica, so it's not as easy to get up hills as a 21 speed Trek, but it does get up them fine.
Old 09-20-15, 07:04 AM
Ic3Bik3

Bikes: Early 80's Fuji Royale,1990 Stumpjumper, KHS CX100, KHS Flite 100, 1984 Norco Bigfoot, Raleigh Pathfinder, Norco CRD.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree. My favourite ride is an early 80's Fuji Royale. It fits me and is as nimble as a wasp. Stings like one too, if I do anything stupid. Picked it up at a yard sale for $45. Got my son a beautiful mid 80's Fuji Del Ray 10th anniversary a while back. Needed nothing to get it on the road, and he rides it up /down Hamilton mountain for work 2x/day. That one was my best find - found it at a recycling yard, picked it up for the price of scrap. A whopping $15. He loves the bike, and the only reason I didn't keep it is that it was too big for me. The only bike I have that comes close to being as much fun as the Royale is my 2011 KHS Flite 100, and it's a single spd.
Old 09-20-15, 01:08 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
This is why I bought a titanium bike instead of another AL, CF, or even another steel bike. I too test rode a bunch of bikes and none had the ride quality of any of my vintage steel bikes...except another steel bike of course which I didn't want another I have a bunch, but titanium actually rode better. Fortunately I have two friends who have ti bikes, one was a Serotta and the other a Motobecane and I got to ride those quite a bit. I ended up with a Lynskey Peloton because of three reasons, the most important reason was they ride better than any other frame material (in my opinion of course), it was on sale and the Motobecane was out of stock at Bikes Direct for 1 1/2 years; but that Motobecane is the best deal on the planet for a TI bike.
Old 09-20-15, 01:23 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

Do the frame builders of today refer to custom frame builders? I can imagine that frame building can be of any material but carbon would be a bit more technical because of the various types of carbon and the multi stages of how the layups are to be applied.

Old 09-20-15, 01:45 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
This is why I bought a titanium bike instead of another AL, CF, or even another steel bike. I too test rode a bunch of bikes and none had the ride quality of any of my vintage steel bikes...except another steel bike of course which I didn't want another I have a bunch, but titanium actually rode better. Fortunately I have two friends who have ti bikes, one was a Serotta and the other a Motobecane and I got to ride those quite a bit. I ended up with a Lynskey Peloton because of three reasons, the most important reason was they ride better than any other frame material (in my opinion of course), it was on sale and the Motobecane was out of stock at Bikes Direct for 1 1/2 years; but that Motobecane is the best deal on the planet for a TI bike.
I've always lusted after those Motobecane Ti's.....and every time I read one of your posts, I'm really tempted!

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Do the frame builders of today refer to custom frame builders? I can imagine that frame building can be of any material but carbon would be a bit more technical because of the various types of carbon and the multi stages of how the layups are to be applied.
Not to mention that they'd have to make a custom mold for every custom frame...which would be ridiculously cost-prohibitive- unless of course they were to use carbon tube/lugged construction, but what would be the point to that?
Old 09-21-15, 09:19 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I've always lusted after those Motobecane Ti's.....and every time I read one of your posts, I'm really tempted!

Every year BD has those TI Motobecanes people review them and can find no real fault especially when considering the price. After I rode one a bunch of times that a friend of mine owns I was set to buy it, but when I got the money saved up and went to order one it was out of stock. The owner (?) of BD e-mailed me and said they would have them in stock in 30 days, 30 days later and not in stock, the owner again e-mailed me and said about 60 days which would be their spring arrival, again nothing came in, this went on for about a year at which point I gave up when I found a Lynskey on a promotional sale. As much as I like the Lynskey it's not $1,500 better! even though I did get some swaps done to it that BD cannot do at all. $1,500 is an estimated difference between 105 that I got and Ultegra that the MB has, nor is the Serotta TI bike another friend of mine has $5,000 better! In fact when riding all 3 now, while the Lynskey seems to be more sure footed then either there is nothing glaring between the three.

Funny, I buy a Lynskey but I push the Moto, but that's because the price can't be beaten and you don't get some inferior bike, like I said there's nothing glaring about it, even the welds look great, all things I found are just very minor quibbles that I had bought one I could have cared less about!!! I do think the Lynskey is a the second best TI bike for the price, the frame is assembled in the USA and thus it does employ Americans, and Lynskey is the original owner of Litespeed and it was he that developed all the modern methods that are used to day to assemble ti frames, you can go to the Litespeed site and read about the innovations, but keep in mind as you read that Litespeed of today did not do those innovations, Lynskey did.
Old 09-21-15, 09:59 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every year BD has those TI Motobecanes people review them and can find no real fault especially when considering the price.
I have one of the new CX bikes and love it. 105 x 11 speed and BB7 discs. Even has 135mm rear spacing, so it is easy find disc wheels.
Old 09-21-15, 10:34 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Funny, I buy a Lynskey but I push the Moto, but that's because the price can't be beaten and you don't get some inferior bike,
HAhahaha! I do the same thing! Gotta love good deals!

Don't know if you still remember the details of riding your friends Moto Ti, but...I was wondering if they are nice and stiff? I've heard that some Ti's can be noodly- and with me spending a lot of time mashing up big hills, that wouldn't be good. I've heard nothing but good things about the Moto Ti's though. Do they still have rim brakes? (I won't have discs on a road bike....)
Old 09-21-15, 12:59 PM
BikingMountains

Bikes: Vintage and new Bianchis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your old bike steel? Those ride really nice, and there's no replacing it! Or is there something in the geometry that doesn't speak to you? As for me, I have a vintage Bianchi which is my fave, and a new Bianchi which is lighter and faster, but doesn't have the same 'magic' to me. My solution is to ride both, but I've invested a lot in my old one to bring it up to modern standards and it's still my fave! I may eventually go custom to combine everything I like into one bike.
Old 09-21-15, 01:27 PM
Dang

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the same experience then I put my old saddle the new bike and made a difference.
Old 09-21-15, 01:56 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

Not to mention that they'd have to make a custom mold for every custom frame...which would be ridiculously cost-prohibitive- unless of course they were to use carbon tube/lugged construction, but what would be the point to that?
That might be why custom frame builders just stick to what they know. Kind of self serving.
Old 09-21-15, 02:32 PM
RolandArthur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all is lost, for now. TS just needs to learn you won´t lose your favourite bike if you decide you need one more. A bike is not like a girl, you can have more than one. There is no need to regret the purchase of a new bike.
Old 09-21-15, 03:17 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
That might be why custom frame builders just stick to what they know. Kind of self serving.
Yeah, and I've never understood the need for custom frames, unless ya have the bodily proportions of a circus freak.
Old 09-21-15, 08:39 PM
rekmeyata

HAhahaha! I do the same thing! Gotta love good deals!

Don't know if you still remember the details of riding your friends Moto Ti, but...I was wondering if they are nice and stiff? I've heard that some Ti's can be noodly- and with me spending a lot of time mashing up big hills, that wouldn't be good. I've heard nothing but good things about the Moto Ti's though. Do they still have rim brakes? (I won't have discs on a road bike....)
Of the three, (mine) a Lynskey Peloton, (most expensive) Serotta, and (the lowest costing) the Motobecane: the Motobecane is stiffer in the rear then the Serotta but the Serotta has those S shaped stays for long distance riding comfort, and I think the Lynskey is a tad stiffer in the rear when hammering. The weak spot for the Motobecane is the fork and maybe the headset we discovered, I ordered my Lynskey with a Enve 2.0 and a Cane Creek 110 headset and the front end tracks better and feels more surefooted than especially the Moto which sort of feels noodly? but also even the Serotta which I would put in the middle (not sure who made the Serotta fork, it just says Serotta).

My friend with the Moto after riding my bike a bunch of times bought and installed a Enve 2.0 fork along with the same headset I got a Cane Creek 110 about 2 months ago but I haven't rode it yet to see how it feels, he says it feels a lot better. Ride comfort the Serotta is the most comfortable but again that comfort comes at a cost of having less stiffer stays and when hammering hard you can tell the difference between the Lynskey and the Moto.

But for the price of the Moto even after test riding all 3 and had to choose base on money and the overall best buy I would buy the Moto. At the cost you get that Moto for you can easily afford to get a nice fork and headset for it if it bothers you down the road. You're not going to notice the fork/headset issue unless you ride in an area with lots of sharp fast turns like a mountain area, or are wanting to race it then you might be wanting a stiffer fork and headset, but for the average person they're never going to notice it, but I would say the same thing about the Serotta fork and that Serotta was a heck of lot more money than even my Lynskey was.

As far as disk brakes go, on the Moto road bike they still, and thankfully, use rim brakes, but on the Cross bike they use disk brakes which is good if the bike is going to be used as it is intended to be used. But for the road disk brakes are a waste unless your road riding involves mostly rainy or snowy days.

If you're going to buy a Moto ti road bike I would go whole hog and get the LeChamp SL, it comes with Ultegra brakes instead of Tekra, Ultegra Hollowtech 2 BB/crank instead of FSA Gossamer, and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheels instead of Vuelta Pro wheels, those two differences right there is about a $600 but you're only going to pay $300 more and you won't have to worry about upgrading those later.

Go to this website (this is the same place I got my Lynskey from) and you would have to spend another $800 to get a Lynskey TI bike with Ultegra...which by the way is a great deal on a Lynskey; see: https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...roductid=87739. Titanium prices seem to be dropping because this price is only about $500 more than I paid for mine not including the upgrades. Anyway you can search around and look at other TI brands they sell and you can get a picture of the deal you're getting with the Moto.
Old 09-21-15, 08:49 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There are a few ways you can go...

You can put each bike into a differnet bucket and use this one for this type of riding and the other for that type of riding...

You can modify the Scattante to set it up to be more like your Peugeot.

You went from 12 speeds to 20 speeds and from a 80's standard crank (52/42?) to a compact (50/34). It may not just be a modern bike but all those additional gears that equals more shifting. You get more performance, but you do have to shift through more gears. Also that 50/34 (I assume) setup is not the panacea for everyone. I always thought that was a pretty crappy setup unless you can really turn a 50 and you need a 34 to get up hills. And you have an 11t that you may not ever use except downhill.

If it were me I'd re-evaluate the drivetrain ans see what changes I can make to make it more fun.

And if that fails you can just sell the Scattante.

John
He can also watch the used bike market for another Peugeot, and spring when the moment is right!
Old 09-22-15, 12:16 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, and I've never understood the need for custom frames, unless ya have the bodily proportions of a circus freak.
Well, I don't have those proportions, but I do have a custom frame, and it is the best handling bike I own.

My TCR fits me well. My contact points on the custom bike and the TCR are exactly the same distance apart. But on the TCR that is achieved by running a 100mm stem and having the saddle fairly well foward. No problem, it's exactly the sort of adjustment one might expect tp make to ensure a good fit.

The custom frame has a slightly shorter effective top tube, a 1 degree steeper seat tube and a very slightly longer wheelbase. I run a 120mm stem. The effect is that my weight is rotated fractionally forward over the front wheel and the bike handles better as a result. The TCR is entirely adequate, I've raced the bike many times, but the front end feels just a shade "light" by comparison. I can push the limits when cornering with greater confidence on the custom frame.

It's an indulgence, I agree, and quite a lot of money to pay when what one has is, by most standards, more than adequate. And no doubt many people will find stock frames that fit them perfectly with no compromises at all. But to me it has been worth the money to have something that rides exactly as I would wish.

Last edited by chasm54; 09-22-15 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.