Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Muscle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 07:12 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Muscle...

"But van Loon, an “extraordinary professor” (his actual title) of exercise physiology and nutrition at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, wasn’t celebrating. On his phone was a photo one of his students had just sent him of a large plate stacked high with bulging cubes of raw beef. In total, there were 3.1 pounds of beef—a graphic visualization of the muscle lost in just one week by subjects of a bed-rest study the student had just completed.

“I usually put this in more obscene language,” van Loon says, “but you can mess up a lot more in one week than you can improve in six months of training.”

But the best way to augment protein’s muscle-signaling capacity is simple: Exercise before you eat, and your muscles become more sensitive to protein’s signals.

Unfortunately, there are also factors that make your muscles less sensitive to protein signaling. Getting older is one of them, which is why older adults seem to need a larger dose of 0.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, rather than 0.25, to max out their rates of protein synthesis.

So, as van Loon told the conference in Rhode Island, the overall body of research boils down to one simple message: Your mum was right. Eat three protein-rich meals a day, get plenty of exercise"

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/4...=pocket-newtab

In other research, muscle mass is associated with longevity. What that suggests is that while bike riding is a huge benefit, muscle building exercise offers a little extra. It doesn't take a lot of money, I mostly use exercise bands and such. I cut heavy loops of the stuff and use them for deadlifts, squats and pulldown exercises. They're called Superbands:

https://www.performbetter.com/catego...l-bands-tubing

Last edited by late; 06-23-23 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For late:
Old 06-23-23, 09:13 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
Thank you. This is why I work out at the YMCA three mornings per week, in addition to my walking/jogging and bicycling.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069