Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Decoding date code on Schwinn bike lights

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 07:10 PM
benhoyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, this is a bit of an odd request, I know, but I'm trying to remember when I bought my Schwinn bike lights. I think it was in 2000, but I'm not sure (and I'm trying to win an argument with a friend, who reckons they look much newer :-). They're model SW77559-4, and the date code is UNV0510AD. There's a forum thread I found on this site that indicates the numeric part 0510 might be day 051 of the year (20 Feb) and year xxx0 (but of which decade? could be 2000, 2010, 2020). But ideally I could confirm that, and figure out what UNV and AD mean here. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-23, 02:04 PM
benhoyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Responding to this for the record: I contacted Schwinn support and the support lady who responded was quite helpful. She said it corresponds to a manufacture date of 05/10/2014 (which I clarified meant May 10, not 5 Oct). I'm unsure how the "UNV" or "AD" part translates to 2014, but she seemed confident in the date.
Old 08-24-23, 02:21 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by benhoyt
They're model SW77559-4, and the date code is UNV0510AD. There's a forum thread I found on this site that indicates the numeric part 0510 might be day 051 of the year (20 Feb) and year xxx0 (but of which decade? could be 2000, 2010, 2020). But ideally I could confirm that, and figure out what UNV and AD mean here. Any ideas?
AD is easy. It means "Anno Domini". This indicates that this version of the light is... well... relatively new.

Last edited by AndreyT; 08-24-23 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For AndreyT: