Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Dynamo f/r set up: rear light never turns off

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 06:08 AM
mavimao

Bikes: Custom Mercier - Velo'v - Peugeot FG conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello!

so I have a shimano hub dynamo that goes to a front light with a switch. And then an output cable from the front light goes to the rear light.

Everything works fine, but as soon as I flip the switch on the front lamp off, only the front light turns off and the rear one continues working.

Is this a common thing?
Old 10-07-23, 10:03 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Some taillight's have capacitor backup. The capacitor stores a few minutes of power so you are visible to traffic when you are stopped. This is called a stand light. If this is not your problem then give more info about your lights.
Old 10-08-23, 05:47 AM
mavimao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick
Some taillight's have capacitor backup. The capacitor stores a few minutes of power so you are visible to traffic when you are stopped. This is called a stand light. If this is not your problem then give more info about your lights.
So here’s the set up:

Dynamo: Shimano DH-3N72

Front lamp: Hosim (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosim-headl.../dp/B08H8BV7HB)

Rear lamp: Supernova E3

I don’t think it’s an issue with the capacitor because when I push it from a cold start (as in I take it out of the garage), the rear light will blink when spinning and turn completely off when stopped. I can’t turn it off with the switch on the front light.
Old 10-08-23, 07:50 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Is this your first time using dynamo lights?

This is normal in every dymano light in the world. The taillight stays on for several minutes after you stop.

The purpose of this design is so you do not get killed by a car when you are waiting at the intersection.

Some taillights have a switch to turn off. Your light does not have this feature, so you will have to wait several minutes for the capacitor to run out of power.

There is nothing you can do.
Old 10-08-23, 08:40 AM
mavimao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
Is this your first time using dynamo lights?

This is normal in every dymano light in the world. The taillight stays on for several minutes after you stop.

The purpose of this design is so you do not get killed by a car when you are waiting at the intersection.

Some taillights have a switch to turn off. Your light does not have this feature, so you will have to wait several minutes for the capacitor to run out of power.

There is nothing you can do.
I know exactly what you’re describing, because I’ve used bikes that do exactly that. Mine does not.

When the front wheel moves slowly, both the front and rear strobe on and off. The faster you go, the more the strobbing disappears. As soon as you stop, everything turns off. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of capacitor in play.

But the thing I’m curious about is that the switch on the front light will turn off the front light but leave the back light doing exactly the same thing if the front were turned on.
Old 10-08-23, 09:16 AM
Rick

The Supernova taillights have no capacitors in them. They are designed to run off of the Supernovas headlight capacitor for there stand light. It appears that your taillight is going to run until the headlights capacitor is out of power everytime. I suggest making a small black bag with an elastomer to put over it.
Old 10-08-23, 02:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
It may be a safety function, or it's just broken, or you have it wired incorrectly. If there is no standlight, then it is almost surely broken.

Okay, I didn't notice your equipment before. That taillight doesn't have a standlight, and it's only meant to work with Supernova headlights, which regulate the voltage and provide for the standlight function. Peter J. White says it should have failed. I have often wondered if that's true, your experience doesn't exactly prove him wrong though. In any event, I would get a B&M or Spanninga taillight and avoid any possibility of having it burn out.
Old 10-08-23, 04:13 PM
Rick

The Supernova lights run on AC. From previous reading and this post. They obviously don't play well with other manufactures lights.
Old 11-18-23, 09:55 AM
picaf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helpful Thread
Old 11-19-23, 03:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The Supernova lights run on AC. From previous reading and this post. They obviously don't play well with other manufactures lights.
All of the dynamos and dynamo lights that I've encountered run on AC power.
The Supernova Triple that I've repaired delivered 5.9 volts DC to the Supernova tail light. Definitely not the same as typical dynamo tail light.
To the best of my memory, the Supernova tail light was just three red LEDs wired in series. Now I'm wondering if they might have a low value resistor wired in series, just to tolerate a bit of variation in the voltage from the headlight. As a general rule, it's a bad idea to drive a LED with a fixed voltage, and it seems odd that Supernova didn't choose to drive it with a fixed current.

I am curious as to whether a conventional dynamo tail light will exhibit the same tendency to stay powered when the OP's headlight is turned off.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-20-23, 09:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't think the supernova taillights run off of AC. I suppose I could measure it. I have seen the circuitry, and it is very simple, seems like it's just some resistors limiting the current to the leds. Since the lights work well and don't flash much, I'm guessing it's being fed DC from the headlight.

I have my doubts about OP's wiring setup. I'm not sure all headlights interrupt the taillight wiring though.
Old 11-20-23, 01:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have never used a Supernova, so I defer to Peter White on that.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/supernova.php

Do a word search for direct
Old 11-20-23, 02:23 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I've got a supernova dyno light set.
The front light puts out 6V DC for the rear light. I was planning to use a B&M headlamp, and my LBS owner recommended a supernova tail lamp, and ordered it up for me. It was not compatible with the B&M headlamp that puts out the DYNO AC voltage. Thankfully I caught it in the spec sheets before anything smoked. ....and my LBS owner got to order me a supenova headlamp.....

https://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3-pure-3
- no off switch
https://supernova-lights.com/en/prod...ail-light-2-6v

since the bike is laying down, the lights are being powered by the headlamp capacitor.....

Last edited by mrv; 11-20-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-21-23, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I would be a big fan of the e3 Pure if it had more light output. The case is awesome. I have wondered if it would be brighter without the taillight, because the taillight is really bright.
Originally Posted by supernova
It is one of the smallest and brightest road-legal dynamo front lights with aluminum housing.
I feel like that is only true because of the caveats.
Old 11-21-23, 08:41 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would be a big fan of the e3 Pure if it had more light output. The case is awesome. I have wondered if it would be brighter without the taillight, because the taillight is really bright.
I feel like that is only true because of the caveats.
my Supernova is the first 'proper' dyno light (powered by a Kasi). While I have brighter (more lumens) battery lights, the beam pattern with a proper lens makes a significant difference. What I've noticed with my Supernova is when it's very dark (dirt roads, MUPs, that kind of thing) - it's completely fine. I prefer it to the brighter, "spot" light of my Light in Motion 700 lumen deal.
On trails, I think i prefer the spot light.
Next year I hope my budget (and wife) permit adding a Son wide body dyno and the Edelux deal.
cheers.