Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So I got my toe cages.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So I got my toe cages.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 01:56 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
So I got my toe cages.

Sorry for the lousy photo. This is my first time having any kind of foot retention and I am so angry that it has taken me 65 years to find them. I can not believe how much better my ride was today with these. It was so comfortable to not have to be resetting my foot on the pedal and having an ability to pull and push. I am so very happy I found these and now can not believe how much better these simple little things have helped. That said, the first time I stopped was interesting. I was surprised the first time when I stepped off the pedal and it did not. Now if only I could find a comfortable seat. The quest goes on.
Thanks again for all of the help I received in my other post. The positive reinforcement I got/get here is very helpful. I belong to other forums for different interests and I have not always received this kind of support. As a new guy, I thank you all.
Frank.
Old 07-18-18, 05:50 PM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So if you like these, you will love clipless pedals and shoes. It can take a bit of practice until getting out of them is second-nature but they are well worth the effort.
Old 07-18-18, 06:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You forgot the toe straps.

Those actually have a bit more rigid of a look than I've seen before, but still rather loose. They look great for practicing. I'm glad you're liking them.
Old 07-18-18, 07:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The mini-clips like in the pic are good for basic foot positioning and retention while being easy to get out of.
Old 07-18-18, 08:52 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Thanks all for your responses. I like the effect of the clip holding the foot position. I was always resetting my foot on the pedal but now I have a very secure feel. I suppose this old man can learn a new trick or two.
Be safe, Frank.
Old 07-19-18, 09:01 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You forgot the toe straps.

Those actually have a bit more rigid of a look than I've seen before, but still rather loose. They look great for practicing. I'm glad you're liking them.
I like toeclips with straps. I keep them just loose enough to allow me to jerk a foot out. I've been riding this way for 50 years.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-19-18, 09:59 AM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm fairly new to biking, what are toe cages? Thanks a lot...
Old 07-19-18, 01:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Mostly what I like about cages is being able to wear regular shoes...
Old 07-19-18, 03:32 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Yep, that's how I roll.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-19-18, 04:33 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jwh20
So if you like these, you will love clipless pedals and shoes. It can take a bit of practice until getting out of them is second-nature but they are well worth the effort.
Cages, whether with straps or not, are not a halfway house to clipless, or even a compromise. They are a solution that many people feel ideal for their cycling needs.

I use variations of the op's clips on all my bikes. I have fitted them using made-to-measure blocks between the pedal and the clips to ensure that my feet are in exactly the right position on the pedal for me, whether on my road, mountain or hybrid bikes.. My feet have never slipped off the pedals even when pushing hard and I have never had any problems with foot pain/tiredness, even on centuries.

They have the bonus of being very inexpensive and mean I don't walk like a duck at coffee stops, and can even stop and go to for walks in the middle of rides if I wish.

I am not a competition/racing cyclist and clipless may be of benefit if I were.
Old 07-19-18, 07:10 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I like toeclips with straps. I keep them just loose enough to allow me to jerk a foot out. I've been riding this way for 50 years.
Same here... I ride a C&V 1985 Fuji and it would really look odd with clipless pedals (what's the word I'm looking for -- anachronism?)

Originally Posted by hadassah
These are toe cages... My pedals are MKS Sylvan road pedals. You can see the toe cages and Forte straps (bought from Performance Bike here in town). They work great!
​​​​​​​

Last edited by ButchA; 07-19-18 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added another quote
Old 07-19-18, 07:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used toe clips from the '70's through about the mid-'90's.
Google offers this - and REI has some basic info about pedals of various types:
What are toe clips for bikes?
Pedal Toe Clips and Straps. Toe clips (also called "toe cages") are small frames that attach to the front of platform pedals and surround your toes. They allow you to pull up with your foot in the pedal stroke as well as push down.

Last edited by JanMM; 07-19-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 07:22 PM
Helderberg

If you google Toe cage or toe clip you will see a few different styles of them. They connect to the front of the bike pedal and allow your shoe to be secured with a strap or just the friction of the top of the cage. It keeps you foot secured or at least better connected to the pedal when you are riding. Mine are the most basic of the type and are easier to get into and out of during a ride start and stop. I am sure there are better qualified folks here that can explain it better than this.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-18, 07:52 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
These are the clips and pedals I use on my road bike. No problems at all in the three years I've been using them. I find I don't need the straps for foot retention.
Old 07-20-18, 08:51 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
These are the clips and pedals I use on my road bike. No problems at all in the three years I've been using them. I find I don't need the straps for foot retention.
And that is a classic platform pedal, intended for use only with toe clips.
Old 07-20-18, 09:48 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jwh20
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Cages, whether with straps or not, are not a halfway house to clipless, or even a compromise. They are a solution that many people feel ideal for their cycling needs.

I use variations of the op's clips on all my bikes. I have fitted them using made-to-measure blocks between the pedal and the clips to ensure that my feet are in exactly the right position on the pedal for me, whether on my road, mountain or hybrid bikes.. My feet have never slipped off the pedals even when pushing hard and I have never had any problems with foot pain/tiredness, even on centuries.

They have the bonus of being very inexpensive and mean I don't walk like a duck at coffee stops, and can even stop and go to for walks in the middle of rides if I wish.

I am not a competition/racing cyclist and clipless may be of benefit if I were.
jwh's comment is still perfectly valid, if the OP likes the additional foot retention and ability to utilize different muscle groups that the half-clips provide, then he would probably also like a clipless system - from that perspective, half-clips are half-way to a clipless system. I don't see any suggestion that clipless are the only, or best, solution - depending upon my bike/purpose, I personally use and like all three: flat pedals, half-clips, and clipless. And I'm no racer or roadie either - actually just a lazy/efficiency guy trying to get the most mileage with least amount effort / suffering.

Also clipless need not be so mutually exclusive... you can get pedals with flat platforms on one side (to use with any shoe) and bindings on the other side. Also my SPD shoes have recessed cleats and so, apart from a stiff-ish sole (which you want in any case), I walk normally/comfortably on a rubber-soled lace-up shoes that looks just like any normal sneaker or trail runner.

Last edited by reppans; 07-20-18 at 09:52 AM.