Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Connectors for SON Hubs and for B&M Luxos headlight?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 11:12 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

I'm looking for the female push-on connectors for the SON and the B&M Luxos headlamp. The brass one for the headlamp has spring and is not making good contact and I want some spares. I can make it work for a time by carefully compressing with a fine pliers, but it won't last a real long time. I'd really like to just make up a new lead to go up the fork leg, with new contacts. I found that seeming American equivalents are not good matches, also needing to have their shapes adjusted to make them fit.

Anybody have some or know of several sources? I could use 6 pieces of each.

I'd also like a source for Teflon or FEP-insulated hookup wire, if I actually make up new ones.
Old 05-22-23, 04:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I can't help with the hub connectors. I use the SP/Shimano connectors.

I think all the B&M lights use the same 2.8mm spade connectors, you probably just need to squeeze them a hair tighter to stay on. When mine have fallen off, I just squeezed them a hair tighter with a pliers.

Old 05-22-23, 07:34 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'd also like a source for Teflon or FEP-insulated hookup wire, if I actually make up new ones.
I'd avoid Teflon, since that wire is usually silver plated, which is generally worse than tin-plated copper in wet environments. I like M22759/16 ETFE insulated wire. I've gotten it from the Allied Wire and Cable "Bargain Bin" in the past, but it doesn't look like they have great options in there right now; they just have regular stock.
Old 05-22-23, 10:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
At the hub, I recommend switching to the coax connectors. They are vastly superior to the terminal lug connectors
Old 05-22-23, 11:02 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If at the hub I just buy the SON connectors which I'm sure Peter White will have
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-22-23, 08:10 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by unterhausen
At the hub, I recommend switching to the coax connectors. They are vastly superior to the terminal lug connectors
Unterhausen, what coax connectors? Who sells them? What style? How are they attached to a standard SON hub with bladed connections?

Or do you mean the simple single-contact single-circuit banana connector?
Old 05-22-23, 08:27 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Unterhausen, what coax connectors? Who sells them? What style? How are they attached to a standard SON hub with bladed connections?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...axial-adapter/

Jan sells a kit
Old 05-22-23, 08:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

You can also get them from Peter J. White cycles
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-23-23, 05:50 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

I’ll send you a picture tonight when I get home. IMHO the coax is only useful if you pull the front wheel fairly often.
Old 05-23-23, 08:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have too much experience fixing other people's SoN hub connections by the side of the road while I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos. It only takes one time forgetting to unplug the connectors while taking the wheel off before it's worth $30 to me. I know that price is a bit ridiculous, but having lights vs. not having lights doesn't really have a price. I used to bring a crimper to events for exactly this problem, because people would put their bike in their car with the wheels off and the wires ripped out of the connectors. I doubt that Schmidt would endorse this feature of their coaxial connectors, but it does work that way.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-23-23, 01:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

One nice thing about the coax that I didn't think about until I was riding home is that if you run a wide body it's easier to to connect since you can put the spade end on then mount the wheel
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-23-23, 06:54 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’ll send you a picture tonight when I get home. IMHO the coax is only useful if you pull the front wheel fairly often.
Thanks! I have so much experience with ham-fisted misuse of spade connectors and resulting breakage, that one of two remove/replace cycles with no likelihood of breakage will help me a lot, at least make me feel a lot better! How does the connector, in this case, the male, tehe plug, water-seal against the coax outer insulation? Or does it want a twisted pair? In my aerospace tooling I always used shielded twisted pairs. Water exposure was not a common problem, unlike on a road vehicle.
Old 05-24-23, 08:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

You can get the coax wire from Peter White or other sources. It's a fairly normal coax cable except the inner wire is stranded. On edit: my memory failed me, I think it's just a two connector cable. Is it supernova that has a shield-like drain wire? Got to go look in my lighting supplies parts organizer.
You can see the innards of the connector on Peter White's page.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/sch-wiring.php

Here is what it looks like before construction and in a soldering fixture that they sell

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-24-23 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-24-23, 08:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think the biggest problem with water intrusion is that it might corrode together. It seems like this connector doesn't have so much surface area that would be an issue, and you probably should use dielectric grease to stop it from happening. It does have that rubber seal.
Old 05-26-23, 10:05 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Thanks! I have so much experience with ham-fisted misuse of spade connectors and resulting breakage, that one of two remove/replace cycles with no likelihood of breakage will help me a lot, at least make me feel a lot better! How does the connector, in this case, the male, tehe plug, water-seal against the coax outer insulation? Or does it want a twisted pair? In my aerospace tooling I always used shielded twisted pairs. Water exposure was not a common problem, unlike on a road vehicle.
my own approach to adding a low-effort connection in series with the SON dynamo connectors:

I've probably shared this in other threads too.
These are just basic pins and sockets from Amp (formerly Deutsch). I've got the Digi-key p/n's if anyone is curious.
They are high quality and nickel plated. Never had any issue with corrosion, even with frequent exposure to rain and snow.
Obviously, heatshrink tubing is used to insulate and serve as strain relief.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-26-23, 10:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
my own approach to adding a low-effort connection in series with the SON dynamo connectors:
Peter White shows a similar thing using the coax connectors, but I think the rationale in his case was he wanted a splitter. I have used the Supernova connectors and RC connectors in a similar manner as yours. The Supernova connectors got really hard to disconnect after a few years of not being disconnected. I probably didn't use any dielectric grease on them, which likely would have made it a lot easier.
Old 05-26-23, 11:00 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Peter White shows a similar thing using the coax connectors, but I think the rationale in his case was he wanted a splitter. I have used the Supernova connectors and RC connectors in a similar manner as yours. The Supernova connectors got really hard to disconnect after a few years of not being disconnected. I probably didn't use any dielectric grease on them, which likely would have made it a lot easier.
I imagine that a coax connector is simpler for a lot of folks.. if only because there's just one thing to hook up.
I've thought about using a proper connector with a shell and two pins (or sockets) in it, partly because you can get connectors with environmental seals (such as the Deutsch/Amp models). Unfortunately, they tend to be much too bulky for this sort of application (imho, etc).
The nickel plated contacts have largely eliminated the need for a sealed connector shell, though.

I do like the idea of using common electrical connections, such as what RC cars use. They are a model of Molex, aren't they? Any chance that they are available with a higher grade of plating than the tin plated ones I've seen?

I haven't used dielectric grease on my SON connections, and haven't noticed any corrosion... but also haven't tried to take them off. Most greases tend to migrate or will get washed off, so I'm not sure how effective dielectric grease would be over the long term. Perhaps marine bearing grease would be a good choice??

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-26-23, 11:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
@steelbikeguy, I really like that. Can you please supply the part numbers? Thanks!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-23, 11:29 AM
Road Fan

I imagine that a coax connector is simpler for a lot of folks.. if only because there's just one thing to hook up.
I've thought about using a proper connector with a shell and two pins (or sockets) in it, partly because you can get connectors with environmental seals (such as the Deutsch/Amp models). Unfortunately, they tend to be much too bulky for this sort of application (imho, etc).
The nickel plated contacts have largely eliminated the need for a sealed connector shell, though.

I do like the idea of using common electrical connections, such as what RC cars use. They are a model of Molex, aren't they? Any chance that they are available with a higher grade of plating than the tin plated ones I've seen?

I haven't used dielectric grease on my SON connections, and haven't noticed any corrosion... but also haven't tried to take them off. Most greases tend to migrate or will get washed off, so I'm not sure how effective dielectric grease would be over the long term. Perhaps marine bearing grease would be a good choice??

Steve in Peoria
Go back to where you used to work, look up your team's senior technician/technologist (maybe he's on LinkedIn), ask him/her what's the best goop for connector sealing, and use that. Or maybe I can find mine - he's on LinkedIn all the time! I haven't seen a Group for fabricating wiring harnesses for reliable electrical systems.
Old 05-26-23, 11:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

I've probably shared this in other threads too.
These are just basic pins and sockets from Amp (formerly Deutsch). I've got the Digi-key p/n's if anyone is curious.
They are high quality and nickel plated. Never had any issue with corrosion, even with frequent exposure to rain and snow.
Obviously, heatshrink tubing is used to insulate and serve as strain relief.

Steve in Peoria
I think I like that more than the SON coax
Old 05-26-23, 12:41 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by noglider
@steelbikeguy, I really like that. Can you please supply the part numbers? Thanks!
Here are the Amp part numbers and the associated Digi-key p/n's. Of course, you can type the Amp p/n into the search field on digikey.com and it'll pull up the Digi-key number too....

machined versions:
Amp p/n AT60-202-20141 machined pin, 20-22 gauge wire
Digi-key p/n 889-1462-ND

Amp p/n AT62-201-20141 machined socket, 20-22 gauge wire
Digi-key p/n 889-1471-ND

stamped versions:
Amp p/n AT60-16-0122 stamped pin, 16-18 gauge wire.
Digi-key p/n 889-1048-1-ND

Amp p/n AT62-16-0122 stamped pin, 16-18 gauge wire.
Digi-key p/n 89-1049-1-ND

The machined versions are a bit nicer in construction and finish, perhaps, but a bit more costly. Not a big deal in small quantities.

The stamped ones are made from flat sheets of metal, stamped out with a die and then formed to shape. To my knowledge, they function just as well.

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-26-23, 12:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Go back to where you used to work, look up your team's senior technician/technologist (maybe he's on LinkedIn), ask him/her what's the best goop for connector sealing, and use that. Or maybe I can find mine - he's on LinkedIn all the time! I haven't seen a Group for fabricating wiring harnesses for reliable electrical systems.
We didn't use any sealant on connectors. The Amp/Deutsch connectors had seals at the mating surface of the plug and receptacle, as well as seals around wires where they exited.
Of course, our machines were intended for a harsher environment than autos see (I hope), and we could charge a bit more (a lot more?) for the parts.

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-27-23, 06:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I went looking at rc connectors and realized I was talking about what is commonly called, "banana bullet connectors." They seem to all be gold plated. Who knows how thick the plating is though, and if the common ones are really plated with gold. I have 10 pairs of either Supernova or RC connectors on my travel bike. I'd like to simplify the wiring somehow. Not sure I can afford the SoN connectors. The supernova connectors are $. Velolumino sells something like that for $2 a pair.

I went looking at Peter White's site and now I want a Supernova M99 DY pro
Old 05-27-23, 06:44 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Here are the Amp part numbers and the associated Digi-key p/n's. Of course, you can type the Amp p/n into the search field on digikey.com and it'll pull up the Digi-key number too....
Don't they have ultrathin springs, directed along the axis but spread over circumference, that bend in a most unfortunate moment, making the connector unusable?? In my memory I banned these from my bikes and turned to the straightforward spade 2.8mm ones that just work - primitive can be good on a bike.
Old 05-27-23, 11:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
... and turned to the straightforward spade 2.8mm ones that just work - primitive can be good on a bike.
Reading the complications of these other options, I am becoming really happy that I chose to just standardize on 2.8mm spade connectors for everything when I saw that was the standard connector from B&M. Getting the female ends squeezed just right so that they do not fall off but still are removable was often an iterative process, but it worked for me. I bought my first dynohub a decade ago last month, have not found any reason to use anything else for the past 10 years.

That said, I use SP and Shimano hubs, not Son, so I have no experience with Son connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.