Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Do cold temps affect batteries?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Do cold temps affect batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 07:38 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
My Ring and Simplisafe batteries die like salted slugs in very cold weather. If I were tough enough to find out, I'd think my Bontrager lights would go well over two hours in this weather but I don't know how much over.
At temp like today (low -5, high 9), using a 4 battery pack in my jacket, I can comfortably go for about 1.5-2 hr. But I wouldn’t want to use the battery a second day without charging it again. [These are good quality Samsung batteries with a controller circuit built into each battery.]

If I place the battery at the ambient temp, I’m sure it will get less time out of them.
Old 01-18-24, 10:06 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
At temp like today (low -5, high 9), using a 4 battery pack in my jacket, I can comfortably go for about 1.5-2 hr. But I wouldn’t want to use the battery a second day without charging it again. [These are good quality Samsung batteries with a controller circuit built into each battery.]

If I place the battery at the ambient temp, I’m sure it will get less time out of them.
for fun(?), or at least some education, you can put your lights in the fridge or freezer, and see how long they run. Let them sit in there for an hour or two before beginning the test, in order to allow the internal parts to fully cool off.

Steve in Peoria (thermal tests were a routine part of designing electronics for me back in the old days)
Old 01-18-24, 11:53 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I find it puzzling, to say the least, that someone who is buying a new Tesla by spending (or borrowing) ~$60,000 or more would not have enough common sense to familiarize himself or herself with characteristics of its battery and how to charge it properly.

As far as commuting goes, every one I know who owns one of these contraptions, plug it in their garage after they return home. Some of them have charging facility at their work (provided for free by their employers), they take advantage of those chargers.

Fast chargers are not terribly good for the battery in the long run and most of friends use them only when they absolutely have to… such as on trips that are longer than a couple of hundred miles. [In fact, only one person I know drove a Tesla from San Francisco to Chicago as an experiment and didn’t like the experience much.]

I think a hybrid is still the most practical option. A Prius is good and gives about 50-55 MPG. If one wishes for a little more comfort for longer drives, Lexus ES Hybrid is decent. [ A little worse MPG for extra comfort and features of convenience.]
One of the other "problems" is they aren't $60k anymore so more people are buying them. The base model 3 is $35-37k and until the start of this year qualified for the $7500 tax credit and the chevy bolt starts around $28k and still qualifies for the $7500 credit. The Bolt is one of the cheapest new cars you can buy period, is one of the most popular ride share cars, hertz has a butt load of them and rents then to ride share people, and best of all they have the slowest DC fast charging speed of about any car available( they are one of the worst offenders tying up dc fast chargers). I don't own an EV yet myself but this maybe the year since used prices are finally coming down to reality. I'm waiting to see what happens when most of the other makes gain access to Tesla's Super Charger network this year. I can charge for free at work, 120v at home till I get around to setting up a 240v option, and don't drive much day to day anyway.
Old 01-19-24, 10:11 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
for fun(?), or at least some education, you can put your lights in the fridge or freezer, and see how long they run. Let them sit in there for an hour or two before beginning the test, in order to allow the internal parts to fully cool off.

Steve in Peoria (thermal tests were a routine part of designing electronics for me back in the old days)
Rather than using a freezer and having to open it repeatedly, it would make a lot more sense to put everything in the backyard and point the light at one of the windows to know how long it lasted.
Old 01-19-24, 10:18 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Canker
One of the other "problems" is they aren't $60k anymore so more people are buying them. The base model 3 is $35-37k and until the start of this year qualified for the $7500 tax credit and the chevy bolt starts around $28k and still qualifies for the $7500 credit. The Bolt is one of the cheapest new cars you can buy period, is one of the most popular ride share cars, hertz has a butt load of them and rents then to ride share people, and best of all they have the slowest DC fast charging speed of about any car available( they are one of the worst offenders tying up dc fast chargers). I don't own an EV yet myself but this maybe the year since used prices are finally coming down to reality. I'm waiting to see what happens when most of the other makes gain access to Tesla's Super Charger network this year. I can charge for free at work, 120v at home till I get around to setting up a 240v option, and don't drive much day to day anyway.
Let’s say that a new electric car costs or will cost only $15,000. Does that mean the owners will not bother to learn how the battery of their car works, the only source of energy to make their new car go?
Old 01-19-24, 02:08 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
People buy expensive bikes and can't change a tube so yes. But a huge problem is the ride share people renting from Hertz since they get special weekly deals and have no way to charge other than DC fast chargers and Hertz doesn't educate them because the workers don't know anything about EVs either. 2nd is people seeing they get free charging at DC fast chargers, VW give you 3 years of free charging at Electrify America for example, so they think "hey I can just do that and it doesn't matter if I can't charge at home or work and FREE!!!!!!!".

Last edited by Canker; 01-19-24 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 03:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I find it puzzling, to say the least, that someone who is buying a new Tesla by spending (or borrowing) ~$60,000 or more would not have enough common sense to familiarize himself or herself with characteristics of its battery and how to charge it properly.
Agree.

I have bought one new vehicle in my life, I drove it for 17 years, about 170,000 miles. But there were quite a few used ones before that.

I replaced that one with a used vehicle that was 3 years old, drove that one for about 15 years but since I am retired now and only average 4,000 miles a year, I put a lot less miles on that one. I did a lot of internet research on that one before I bought it.

And the most recent one I bought, did a lot of research on that one too, but have less than 3 years on it and less than 10,000 miles so can't comment much on that one yet. It is not an EV, bought it used. I will find out later if that one was a good idea, but so far it is exceeding my expectations.

If you are spending many months of your income on something, I would expect a lot of research to be done.

I apologize to the OP for continuing this off-topic discussion further.
Old 01-19-24, 05:23 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by noglider
@Tourist in MSN, my spouse owned two cars, a Prius for commuting and a Honda Element for hauling. They died about a month apart. She replaced both with the Tesla. It's big enough for hauling construction supplies, but it's not as convenient for hauling bikes as the Element. I'll eventually get a bike rack. I don't plan to buy any motor vehicles. Maybe in the next year or two, I'll get an e-bike.

Anyway, electric cars aren't for everyone, but it's working out well for us. The car is never inside. It's disappointing to see the battery drain when it's not even being driven, especially in the cold, but everything has its downsides and cost of doing business. I've heard maintenance costs on this car are not actually low: the tires are expensive, and she already damaged one and needed to replace it. I hear body work is super expensive. But fuel costs, even in the cold, are lower than a gas car. We have a hookup on our barn at our weekend house, so we "fill up" there cheaply. We have solar panels, so electric costs are quite low there. But that's 95 miles from our home in the City. She's found that Tesla Supercharger stations work well for her when she's en route somewhere, usually in New Jersey. I think they charge up to 40 cents per kwh. Charging in Manhattan is stupidly expensive for the energy, and they charge for parking, too. Lucky for my spouse that she doesn't need to charge in Manhattan.

Last night, we drove from the weekend house to our apartment in Manhattan. It was about 24ºF. We went from 91% charged to 46%, and that's worse than usual, but we can live with it since it's really not expensive. The battery is 75 kwh in theory. One cool thing is that when we plot the trip on the navigator, it estimates the amount of energy left in the battery at the end of the trip. It is extremely accurate. When we set off, it estimated 46%, and that' was exactly the result.

It might work a heck of a lot worse in lower temperatures.

Teslas are becoming viable for an increasing number of people, partly because of the extensive charging network. I see taxis in the City that are Teslas. Taxi drivers wouldn't be driving them if they didn't make economic sense.
I agree about taxi drivers picking a car that makes economic sense. In our area, it has become difficult to find a taxi that is not Prius.
In fact, if need something larger like a regular sized family car with large trunk, we have to specifically request a larger car or a Prius will show up. So far, I haven’t seen Tesla taxis here but that doesn’t mean they might not be there - I haven’t used a taxi for almost a year.
Old 01-19-24, 11:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Let’s say that a new electric car costs or will cost only $15,000. Does that mean the owners will not bother to learn how the battery of their car works, the only source of energy to make their new car go?
there are people that don't own a washing machine & dryer, because they just ''take it all in'' to the cleaners to have it done. I would not expect anything different when it comes to someone dropping many thousands of dollars on a vehicle & neglects to understand the fundamentals in keeping it operable.
Old 01-20-24, 06:54 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Count me as one of those people. I think it was 2016 or so when I got my first Dynamo but I first looked at them back in 2011-2012 and said "nah too heavy, too this, too that". Silly me. Now with the Supernova M99 Pro DY light I have essentially a car headlight with high beam ability powered by my front wheel moving from my pedaling is there anything better? Granted the light isn't installed yet but soon will be
me three. And soon as funds allow I’m getting a second dynamo wheel for studded tire. I’m a year round commuter so certain times studds are needed. But yes cold effects batteries. Was 8-12*f for my am commute this week. 10 miles into 16 my varia would biatch about low battery. In summer its good for 3-5hrs. Its near 2.5+ yrs use with 10000miles per year
Likes For Jedneck:
Old 01-20-24, 07:10 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
my Garmin radar stopped working when it was around 19 degrees. the battery was Fien it shut did not work. I wondered it I had it in the house and brought it out it would be ok?
Old 01-20-24, 11:24 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
When I buy an item I plan to use on a bike, one of the first things I do is throw it in the freezer. A built-in battery might quit working, or the display might become unreadable. I had tire levers made of steel coated with plastic. The plastic peeled off in the cold - no kidding. When things like that happen, I can still return the item, and I do not eventually get left in the cold.
Old 01-23-24, 03:21 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you are knowledgeable on this sort of thing, do you have any thoughts on NiMH batteries for cold weather?

I use a lot of those for a variety of things. But rarely use them below freezing.
I didn't thoroughly read through all the posts, so forgive me if you got your question answered. I ran NiMH batteries in a light maybe twenty years ago. The light detected a drop in voltage and would shut itself off. The first fall, this started happening about 13 miles into a 23 mile commute on cooler mornings, like around freezing. The batteries would cool down and the voltage dropped, and the light thought they were out of juice. Fortunately, the light didn't like the cold either and died that winter. I moved onto lithium ion after that.
Old 01-23-24, 05:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I didn't thoroughly read through all the posts, so forgive me if you got your question answered. I ran NiMH batteries in a light maybe twenty years ago. The light detected a drop in voltage and would shut itself off. The first fall, this started happening about 13 miles into a 23 mile commute on cooler mornings, like around freezing. The batteries would cool down and the voltage dropped, and the light thought they were out of juice. Fortunately, the light didn't like the cold either and died that winter. I moved onto lithium ion after that.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-24, 12:43 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Troul
there are people that don't own a washing machine & dryer, because they just ''take it all in'' to the cleaners to have it done. I would not expect anything different when it comes to someone dropping many thousands of dollars on a vehicle & neglects to understand the fundamentals in keeping it operable.
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...-bitter-cold/#

Notice the vague announcement from the company for having done some magical software updates to improve performance in winter. Does this mean that being in CA and TX they are so unaware of the range of temperatures where their EV will be used when it becomes ubiquitous, as they wish, that didn’t foresee this possibility and thought of “addressing this problem” only occurred to them after people were stuck with a dead car for multiple hours!

Hertz bought a large number of Tesla cars and they are apparently loosing money because of unexpectedly higher cost of repairs and maintenance.
Old 01-25-24, 02:27 PM
Troul 

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...-bitter-cold/#

Notice the vague announcement from the company for having done some magical software updates to improve performance in winter. Does this mean that being in CA and TX they are so unaware of the range of temperatures where their EV will be used when it becomes ubiquitous, as they wish, that didn’t foresee this possibility and thought of “addressing this problem” only occurred to them after people were stuck with a dead car for multiple hours!

Hertz bought a large number of Tesla cars and they are apparently loosing money because of unexpectedly higher cost of repairs and maintenance.
It's bad when the legal system lets a lot of the issues slip thru the cracks, & then ends up dealing with a much larger problem later on down the 'road' .
Old 01-25-24, 04:17 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Troul
It's bad when the legal system lets a lot of the issues slip thru the cracks, & then ends up dealing with a much larger problem later on down the 'road' .
I am assuming bad refers to how it affects people. Laws are made by politicians, majority of whom are not exactly honest people. So from their perspective, it’s actually good - more opportunities to make more money by arm-twisting and settlements (lawyers) - no admission of guilt, it all works quite nicely. :sad:
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-25-24, 04:45 PM
Troul 

I am assuming bad refers to how it affects people. Laws are made by politicians, majority of whom are not exactly honest people. So from their perspective, it’s actually good - more opportunities to make more money by arm-twisting and settlements (lawyers) - no admission of guilt, it all works quite nicely. :sad:
These systems in the us are supposedly developed & driven by the "people", yet here we are...
Old 01-30-24, 07:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I agree about taxi drivers picking a car that makes economic sense. In our area, it has become difficult to find a taxi that is not Prius.
In fact, if need something larger like a regular sized family car with large trunk, we have to specifically request a larger car or a Prius will show up. So far, I haven’t seen Tesla taxis here but that doesn’t mean they might not be there - I haven’t used a taxi for almost a year.
That's weird. In the NYC area, including the suburbs, you normally get something that is grossly oversized such as a maximum-size SUV. I believe the thinking is, "I'm paying so why should I get a ride in anything downscale?" What a horrific waste!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-30-24, 03:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by noglider
That's weird. In the NYC area, including the suburbs, you normally get something that is grossly oversized such as a maximum-size SUV. I believe the thinking is, "I'm paying so why should I get a ride in anything downscale?" What a horrific waste!
In 2016 on my first airplane trip with my S&S coupled bike in a S&S case that is 26 X 26 X 10, plus a second checked bag, I called my normal taxi company and asked if my luggage would fit in one of their Prius taxis. They were not sure, suggested I call a different taxi company, they did not want to risk being the reason I missed a flight. So, I called one that drove mini-vans. He shows up with a Prius. My luggage did fit in the Prius just fine, but I asked where the mini vans went. He said they were selling off the mini-vans and buying Prius cars. That was the two biggest taxi companies in my community, both using Prius taxis.

During covid, one of them switched to Teslas, and then went out of business, but I have not needed a cab since covid started, so I am not sure who is driving what now.