Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CL "porch find" '80s Pinarello Record?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CL "porch find" '80s Pinarello Record?

Old 12-27-15, 09:19 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
CL "porch find" '80s Pinarello Record

If you are Pinarello-savvy, I'd love to get your feedback here.

I couldn't help but call about this Pinarello on CL before I left visiting family in FL. Bike sat for a few years outside under a covered carport and has a bit of sandy feeling surface rust, worst by the DS chainstay support. It's deep red with a fine glitter clearcoat (is this Pinarello's color "metal rose"?), there are voids in the glitter clear where the logos once were. Columbus logos on fork and seat tube, but no SL/SLX/etc designation.

Owner couldn't tell me much about it other than it was 70s/80s, a 'serious rider' friend gave it to him when he got a new bike. He tried to sell, son tried to sell, it came back home, he listed at $200 and I walked away at $160 purchase price (figured it had that in parts once cleaned up).

Serial number is 4 digits starting with the letter Z and 3 numbers, is there any rhyme/reason or significance behind the format?

Based on what I'm seeing I think it's an '82 - '84 Pinarello Record (it's sold frame-only, here's the
), although it's got some weirdness going on. @elguicho this bike appears to be a twin to your Pinarello except mine has the matching Silca pump w/Campy head for that pump provision on the headtube . It's 56cm, two bottle mounts, both chain stays chromed. Chrome braze-on for the FD, which seems like it would help narrow down the model. I've found a couple other matching Records here and here.

Weirdness starts here: I expected this to be all Campy but the bike appears to be equipped with a mostly-complete Shimano 600 (6207) group with datecodes Hx (1983) - that includes the brake calipers, both hubs, and 52/39 crankset (small ring is backwards). The seller said he saw the original receipt for the bike at $2,400 but he didn't have it, and his friend mentioned doing some some upgrades.

For the odd bits which seem out of place, it has:
  • Campy NR (1044) 27.2 seat post - no Pinarello labeling
  • Mavic Module E 700c (red/green label)
  • Cinelli stem
  • Ultegra FD/RD (6401) 1993 datecode, w/Ultegra barcons (SL-BS64 and SL-BS50)
  • Shimano Exage Motion levers (A251)
  • Sachs 7spd LY 94
  • Diadora Power Drive SA 210 pedals
  • An atrocious time trial/tri bar (first thing to go!)

Pics or it didn't happen, right? Click thumbnails to flip thru larger ones (more pics coming in 2nd post).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3160.jpg (101.0 KB, 730 views)
IMG_3159.jpg (101.6 KB, 732 views)
IMG_3161.jpg (93.3 KB, 365 views)
IMG_3162.jpg (95.0 KB, 371 views)
IMG_3163.jpg (89.6 KB, 599 views)
IMG_3164.jpg (96.0 KB, 363 views)
IMG_3165.jpg (87.9 KB, 337 views)
IMG_3166.jpg (101.2 KB, 329 views)
IMG_3167.jpg (103.4 KB, 341 views)
IMG_3168.jpg (105.7 KB, 318 views)
IMG_3169.jpg (104.4 KB, 315 views)
IMG_3170.jpg (93.6 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by francophile; 01-12-16 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarifying some stuff, subject update
Old 12-27-15, 09:23 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Attached Images
IMG_3178.jpg (95.4 KB, 289 views)
IMG_3177.jpg (85.9 KB, 268 views)
IMG_3176.jpg (92.2 KB, 269 views)
IMG_3175.jpg (98.4 KB, 263 views)
IMG_3171.jpg (102.6 KB, 269 views)
IMG_3172.jpg (92.5 KB, 263 views)
IMG_3173.jpg (97.5 KB, 266 views)
IMG_3174.jpg (84.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 12-27-15, 09:42 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Old 12-27-15, 09:56 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Uh oh. Did my French-loving ass open an Italian can of worms on this one?
Old 12-27-15, 10:28 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Nope - I love stuff like this!
Old 12-27-15, 10:42 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Beautiful old race bike. Nice find.
Old 12-27-15, 10:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
What's the question? That's a fine deal at $160 even with the serious rust issues. These bikes were sold as frames so there's nothing weird about a non-Campy parts group. That bike didn't cost $2400 in the early 80s esp. with that parts group.
Old 12-27-15, 11:14 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Agree on the deal. Not sure rust is serious...The rust is wiping right off the chainstays for the most part, doubt I'll get that lucky with the fork crowns and seat stay caps, but most of it isn't serious.

The fact Record was sold as frame-only makes sense now, thanks for the slap into reality. I now get why the '85 Record shown here as frame only: https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello85/9.jpg
Is also the only model in the mid-80s lineup with no real buildup info... https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalog...rello85/9a.jpg

So I guess it was probably built up from nothing by the OO.

As for specific questions:

Is there any specific info on decoding the serial number, or is it necessary to contact GITA or Pinarello somehow to dig any info on the frame/bike?

Is this metallic red color (red w/glitter) "metal rose", "team red" or something else?

Is there a reasonable way to re-decal the ST and DT with the correct Pinarello logo and re-clearcoat?

Being these were sold bare frame and all of the homogenous parts are date coded 1983, what's the likelihood this is an '83?

Is this ginormous TT bar something worth offering up at shipping cost? Or is it best utilized as a jangling plant basket or jock strap hanger?

Last edited by francophile; 12-27-15 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 07:24 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
it's a potentially great find, if you are willing to overcome two issues. First, the frame may have significant rust and paint issues. second, the Japanese parts are not original. Neither of these issues would keep me from buying the bike. However, do expect to spend another $500 or more to get the fully bike road worthy, at the minimum. If the bike has significant rust issues, it may not be economic or practical to restore.

For $200, it's would be easy to part the bike out, if the bike is not fit to restore. So the risk is not the purchase price.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-28-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 09:04 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Nice nab! Post and stem are ok? Quite a project for the offseason. If the components are '83, it's safe to say that's era. But then, that's painfully obvious.
Old 12-28-15, 12:47 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Nice find and decent price. I guess you really need to judge the price. What turns me off is the rust issue. Like I should talk having paid about the same price for a Tre Cime that was in really poor shape, but not the rust level you show.

Here is a picture of the seat cluster clamp as purchased.
[IMG]P1000940, on Flickr[/IMG]

And after applying a wire wheel (Brass) (way out of focus but you get the drift):
[IMG]P1010169, on Flickr[/IMG]

the fork as purchased:
[IMG]P1000949, on Flickr[/IMG]

After a ....:
[IMG]P1010069 , on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-28-15, 04:15 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Agree on the deal. Not sure rust is serious...The rust is wiping right off the chainstays for the most part, doubt I'll get that lucky with the fork crowns and seat stay caps, but most of it isn't serious.

The fact Record was sold as frame-only makes sense now, thanks for the slap into reality. I now get why the '85 Record shown here as frame only: https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello85/9.jpg
Is also the only model in the mid-80s lineup with no real buildup info... https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalog...rello85/9a.jpg

So I guess it was probably built up from nothing by the OO.

As for specific questions:

Is there any specific info on decoding the serial number, or is it necessary to contact GITA or Pinarello somehow to dig any info on the frame/bike?

Is this metallic red color (red w/glitter) "metal rose", "team red" or something else?

Is there a reasonable way to re-decal the ST and DT with the correct Pinarello logo and re-clearcoat?

Being these were sold bare frame and all of the homogenous parts are date coded 1983, what's the likelihood this is an '83?

Is this ginormous TT bar something worth offering up at shipping cost? Or is it best utilized as a jangling plant basket or jock strap hanger?
I agree. The rust issues do not appear to be that bad, and primarily on the chromed areas. BTW, I agree it is a 1985 record. I had one just like it with the same chrome scheme. I think that is a great $160 find. It may cost $500 to fully restore, with the majority of that a paint job, but there are other options if full restoration is not your obsession. It's not mine. I would clean it up as well as possible, including removal of the surface rust, and then reevaluate. Depending on your vision, you could simply powder coat it for $100, buy replacement decals (you want people to know it's a Pinarello and then mount your components of choice. Keep in mind that, in 1986-87 many top racers of Italian bikes switched the drive trains to Dura Ace 7400 because it was so vastly superior to the Campy of the day. Another option would be to turn it into a kick ass single speed! Just have fun.
Old 12-28-15, 04:52 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
I would've paid that anyday, but I like em like that. If your willing to put in the time and money its got potential to be a really nice bike. My Pinarello was in a lot worse shape than yours.

Old 12-28-15, 06:25 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use wadded up aluminum foil on the rusted chrome. Literally just rub the rust with the aluminum foil.
Old 12-28-15, 08:02 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Originally Posted by sloar
I would've paid that anyday, but I like em like that. If your willing to put in the time and money its got potential to be a really nice bike. My Pinarello was in a lot worse shape than yours.
Looks awesome!

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Nice nab! Post and stem are ok? Quite a project for the offseason. If the components are '83, it's safe to say that's era. But then, that's painfully obvious.
Post and stem are in perfect shape. Bike is straight, no dents, only issue is the chrome. The previous owner actually waxed the hell out of the paint, so it's pristine. There's wax in all the nooks and crannies. Not sure why he didn't wax the chrome too?!

Originally Posted by atombikes
Use wadded up aluminum foil on the rusted chrome. Literally just rub the rust with the aluminum foil.
That was the first thing I did when I got it home , WD40 and foil. The result was pretty good. Long and short: 80% of the chrome is probably OK. I think I'm at a loss with the chainstay area near the crank and the seatstay caps and fork crown are probably goners.

Here's a shot with flash of the stays.
On left (NDS) chainstay, silver area is foil w/no WD40, light orange is surface rust.
On the right chainstay (DS) you see what happened with 10 seconds of light rubbing with WD40+foil, dark brown area is potentially gone.

Attached Images
IMG_3185.jpg (91.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 12-29-15, 01:53 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Holy cow, there's another C&V aficionado in the Atlanta area? I think that makes three of us.

(After completely missing this one on Craigslist, I'm trying to make myself feel better by reminding myself that a 54 is too small for me.)
Old 12-29-15, 08:54 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by leicanthrope
Holy cow, there's another C&V aficionado in the Atlanta area? I think that makes three of us.

(After completely missing this one on Craigslist, I'm trying to make myself feel better by reminding myself that a 54 is too small for me.)
Ah! I'm in town, near the zoo, where are you? I think @daf1009 is somewhere around these parts as well, I've only heard stories though

Apparently I took a bad measurement and it's 56, 54 is slightly too small for me also, I'm a 57-59 guy normally (6'1" ish). The standover height is about right, but I suspect I'll have issues with toe slap on this one. I wish it was a 58, I'd trade it for a 58 in a heartbeat.

Don't feel bad, you didn't miss this one locally - it was posted on Ft Myers Craigslist, I dropped a note in the 'Craigslist/eBay finds' thread hoping someone would bite, but it was still for sale when I got there. By the last day of my trip, it was still up so I called the guy (120 miles south) and he told me he got several calls from the Boca/Miami area which he never returned because he couldn't imagine anyone driving 2-3 hours for a bike. I asked him the key questions - is it straight, which parts are chrome, are there any insignia on the stay caps or fork crown, is the rust sandy or bumpy - and it sounded good.

When I got there, had a good 30 minute chat with the guy, very interesting fellow. His CL ad was actually pretty damn funny, sad the only other two bikes I saw were beater department store bikes. I Was happy with the price, he was cool with the price, I think he just wanted to be done with it. He'd been trying to sell it casually for a while.

Last edited by francophile; 01-12-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 11:08 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Ah! I'm in town, near the zoo, where are you? I think @daf1009 is somewhere around these parts as well, I've only heard stories though

54 is slightly too small for me also, I'm a 57-59 guy normally (6'1" ish). The standover height is about right, but I suspect I'll have issues with toe slap on this one. I wish it was a 58, I'd trade it for a 58 in a heartbeat.
Yep, he's the other local that I was referring to. I'm more or less in the middle between you guys, up in Dunwoody. I'm still getting the lay of the land around here, in all honesty. I was here for a couple of months over the summer, but I've only officially lived here since the beginning of December. I am pleased that there seem to be more Fujis on the ground out here, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that spring cleaning will bring out some worthwhile examples.
Old 12-29-15, 11:11 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I believe the sloping crown fork came out in '84 so that would make yours about that age. I have what I believe is an '83 Record. Mine has the flat crown.

Attached Images
IMG_0724.JPG (66.5 KB, 416 views)
Old 12-29-15, 11:32 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,252 Posts
Great find, great bike. Surprised no one has suggested a thorough Oxalic bath for this one. It's good for the bike and good for you (if you can avoid toxic encounters ) The decals usually fall off these bikes anyway.
As a frame only model, build it with whatever you want. A go fast Italian for little to no money. (The pump could get you half the cost of the frame back at auction)
Old 12-29-15, 01:33 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by clubman
Great find, great bike. Surprised no one has suggested a thorough Oxalic bath for this one. It's good for the bike and good for you (if you can avoid toxic encounters ) The decals usually fall off these bikes anyway... The pump could get you half the cost of the frame back at auction

I keep hearing chatter about OA but I'ven ever used it. What will it do to the paint and the decals?

I figure between the pump, FD/RD and wheels I could probably get most of my money back out of the bike. I wasn't thinking I'd get more than $50 for the pump though, despite it being operational. There was someone selling NOS pumps (no head) for $50 on eBay this past week, believe it or not. Here's some brand new ones in black/silver/white with the Campy head for $88 shipped: NOS 60s Silca Pump & Campagnolo steel head & Reg Clips +++ BLACK SILVER WHITE
Old 12-29-15, 01:34 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I believe the sloping crown fork came out in '84 so that would make yours about that age. I have what I believe is an '83 Record. Mine has the flat crown.
Gorgeous!
Old 12-29-15, 02:08 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by leicanthrope
Yep, he's the other local that I was referring to. I'm more or less in the middle between you guys, up in Dunwoody. I'm still getting the lay of the land around here, in all honesty. I was here for a couple of months over the summer, but I've only officially lived here since the beginning of December. I am pleased that there seem to be more Fujis on the ground out here, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that spring cleaning will bring out some worthwhile examples.
I'd been lurking here for a couple of years and finally joined because I was desperate for a replacement Helicomatic and @Frogbutter had a listing I couldn't pass up - had to setup an account to get it. Over the years, I've seen one or two others around the area, none exactly come to mind, I think one has a nickname starts with a J and has some numbers in it?

If you weren't way the hell up there I'd say, "let's go grab a beer if that's your thing!", but instead I'll say, "if you're not strictly a spandex pack warrior on a mission, there's some fun, casual no-drop weekly rides in town which normally start up at Loose Nuts Cycles in Grant Park". This is one of the recent routes: Loose nuts intown loop - A bike ride in Atlanta, GA - it's a great exposure to the gamut of in-town neighborhoods, and there's plenty of places to grab a beer after. Beltline is almost here... There's going to be major connectivity through it and I expect a lot more riders in town when it finishes.

PS - I just picked up a mid-70s Fuji Dynamic 10 (I think) a few days ago near the Cabela's shop off I-75 (Acworth-ish). More info: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post18389967
Old 12-29-15, 02:54 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I didn't realize that the Silca pumps were so valuable. I bought a '90 Pinarello Montello this past summer that included a Silca Impero pump. It is white and in very good condition. I may have to move this on.

Originally Posted by clubman
The pump could get you half the cost of the frame back at auction
Old 12-29-15, 03:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,252 Posts
I keep hearing chatter about OA but I'ven ever used it. What will it do to the paint and the decals?
I figure between the pump, FD/RD and wheels I could probably get most of my money back out of the bike. I wasn't thinking I'd get more than $50 for the pump though, despite it being operational. There was someone selling NOS pumps (no head) for $50 on eBay this past week, believe it or not. Here's some brand new ones in black/silver/white with the Campy head for $88 shipped: NOS 60s Silca Pump & Campagnolo steel head & Reg Clips +++ BLACK SILVER WHITE
Honestly I thought your was a Pinarello branded Silca but still it's RED, scientifically proven to be the fasted colour in the world (in the mind of the owners) and there's a lot of red Pinarellos out there aching for a colour matched pump! So set your Buy-it-now and you might get lucky.

OA is a great way to halt rust progression and it's harmless to paint and similarly to decals but Pinarello decals are in another class. I wouldn't hesitate to do it and you may be delighted with the results. Take proper safety precautions and be sure to blow compressed air through every orifice. I choose to then use the compressor to blow cut raw linseed oil into the frame. There's likely a dozen posts on OA baths, just google.
I'd keep the pump btw. You'll never get another one cheaper that matches the frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.