Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shoe Goo for brake hood repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 12:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts

Don't you hate it when you notice a tear in one of your brake hoods? I picked us some used aero levers from the co-op for use on my drop bar Marin and while taping the bars noticed the little tear at the top of the hood on the right lever. We know where this is headed, so it's time to prevent further degradation. Having successfully used Shoe Goo to repair the soles of some work boots that were beginning to chunk, I thought it might work as filler for this little tear. I had already tried Gorilla Glue but that did not seem to work. First I cleaned the cut and surrounding area with alcohol and let dry, then slipped a small piece of wax paper under the cut area to keep the stuff from gripping the wrong things, then applied a generous dab and spread it around. It's holding up on my boots so I'm not too worried but I'll keep an eye on it.

Old 01-07-20, 02:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might also try reinforcing the back side with cheesecloth or other cloth, or maybe Tyvek or similar; this will be a lot stronger against further tearing than the Shoe Goo alone.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-07-20, 02:30 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with Shoe Goo other than on shoe soles, but it is amazing stuff. It seems to stick to flexible things quite well, so it should work on saddles, bar tape, and other stuff. You won't go broke by buying a tube to try it.
Old 01-07-20, 03:25 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Replacement rubber brake hoods online are like $12.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 01-07-20, 05:00 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Had the goo, had the hood, tried a fix. I can always buy replacements but where's the fun in that?
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-07-20, 07:31 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Big fan of ShoeGoo, been using it for decades.

Have used it for gluing plastics together, repairing chunks of upholstery ripped up from saddle/seat, use it proactively as scuff guard (skateboard deck edges, instrument cases, luggage) and even as treadlock to stop screws from vibrating out - especially set screws that have no other way of friction stopping them eg v-brake spring preload screws
Old 01-07-20, 07:55 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Replacement rubber brake hoods online are like $12.
Not if they're Campagnolo gum rubber hoods.

Cheers
Old 01-07-20, 09:10 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Not if they're Campagnolo gum rubber hoods.

Cheers
True. But it's unlikely that he has that on his Giant. Ask him....
Old 01-07-20, 09:15 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Marin. Giant tape.
Old 01-08-20, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
looks like you had a void to fill as well since you couldn't squeeze the opening closed. that can be tricky. smart to put something behind it. you might be interested in an adhesive I've been using the past years for similar situations Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue

no, wait, not that one, this one LOCTITE Powerflex Ultra Control Gel Super Glue 3g by Loctite

I think they are different & I see I bought the one called "Powerflex"

but for this situation I'd be tempted to cut some similar rubber to fill that triangular void, then use the glue to fit it into place