Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 03:32 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
go to court and hope the officer is a no-show, and if she shows up then ask the judge for a fine reduction
goddam i hate cops who have **** to do but ticket cyclists
The city has prosecutors that will be the ones defendants deal with in traffic court. If for some reason the defendant gets lawyered up and decides to fight (which will cost way more than the ticket, plus time and effort) then the officer might have to show up (at a much later date) for testimony.

p.s. Many bigger cities have dedicated officers doing traffic, it literally is their job to hand out tickets.
Old 02-05-20, 03:51 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've been subjected to police harassment, police intimidation, and police flagrantly breaking the law.
I feel sorry for you.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The OP stopped, then we assume proceeded when it was safe, perhaps even putting himself in a more visible location on the road. Did he enter a traffic lane before green?
If I am willing to go on video and plead guilty as the OP did, I'd pay my fine.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 02-05-20, 04:57 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
I rode a bike back in the late 80's and early 90's. I've been riding motorcycles on the street
Your bicycling experience is 25+ years old. I dare say it has but marginal relevance to cycling in today's traffic. Breaking laws on a bicycle to enhance safety is not even loosely connected to motorcycling. Up until very recently I was an avid motorcyclist, so I believe that's a qualified comment.