Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to clean this aluminum rim?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 07:09 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I have a set of wheels with Weinmann concave rims. They have some surface corrosion. Spots are more black than than they appear. Anyhow, how can I remove this? I used Mothers Aluminum polish but it just polishes the rim. Some procedure with a Dremel tool? Lost cause?

Old 03-30-20, 07:16 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
How much time and effort do you want to put into them? If you're serious about them, you can always wet sand before polishing. Start with a 400 grit sand paper and in increments of 400 work up to 1200 grit. Then give them a good polish and a wax to protect them. Polish only shines, it doesn't protect unless it has wax or synthetic polymers to do the job. I've done this on aluminum mags and it works, but you'll end up with one arm larger than the other
Old 03-30-20, 07:35 PM
Jicafold

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Sounds like that would be much easier with a bare rim without spokes in the way. Not sure that I want to invest that kind of time and effort.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 03-30-20, 07:55 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I recently obtained an old aluminum Vitus with a lot of bare aluminum parts of the frame, wheels, and components. I got some Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and get really good results with it. Great shine but it is time consuming.

That being said...IMO, the corrosion around the spoke holes is pretty extensive. And I think that you'll soon start seeing cracks around them (if there aren't already). So maybe you don't want to waste time polishing, and go ahead and invest in new wheels.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-30-20, 08:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I spent hours polishing the factory Ukai rims of my '75 Fuji S-10S with Simichrome polish until they absolutely gleamed! Then someone asked if my bike had chrome steel rims... (like the earlier years did...) < Sigh! >
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 03-31-20, 02:28 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I imagine wire wool would work pretty well.
Old 03-31-20, 05:59 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Sounds like that would be much easier with a bare rim without spokes in the way. Not sure that I want to invest that kind of time and effort.
This/thread.
Old 03-31-20, 09:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
FLITZ https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste/

used on bazillion dollar mega yachts is great stuff and for surface corrosion I gingerly scrape with the tip of a knife.
Old 03-31-20, 03:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If it doesn't come off with steel wool & Turtlewax chrome cleaner it won't come off.
Old 03-31-20, 04:30 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
That being said...IMO, the corrosion around the spoke holes is pretty extensive. And I think that you'll soon start seeing cracks around them (if there aren't already). So maybe you don't want to waste time polishing, and go ahead and invest in new wheels
I would heed this advice.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 04-02-20, 10:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I would guess that corrosion inside the rim is substantial.

Those are not good rims for a rain bike!
Old 04-03-20, 08:59 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If it was mine I would do something to help prevent further corrosion.Some people use WD40. I use diesel fuel. Take a dropper bottle full of diesel & carefully place a small amount on each bad spot & let it soak in. It's a cheap fix that may get you by long enough before you need new wheels.

ps: don't over do it & wipe off brake surfaces on rims with rubbing alcohol before you ride.
Old 04-03-20, 05:52 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
I like Simichrome for polished aluminum; however I doubt that it will make your significant corrosion disappear. If you are intent on restoring these rims, delacing and then sanding with sequentially finer grits is the way to go. You might try a dremel tool with a fine (brass) wire brush but the results may not be up to your liking. If you're not up to the work to restore, just ride them as is. They don't look all that bad and, anyway, nobody can see the corrosion when the wheels are spinning.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-20, 09:11 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
You could try varies grades of steel wool but this may not be all that good looking without removing the spokes to get a consistent finish. It's a lot of work either way. Aren't these non-hooked rims anyway?
Old 04-04-20, 02:44 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Flitz! Best stuff ever followed by an application of carnauba automotive paste wax. After waxing, use alcohol to remove it from the brake flats.

I had these rims on my old Fuji. They were custom built wheels with Campy Tipo HF hubs. Rode them for 30+ years on and off. The down side was mine were NOT hook beads. They never needed truing. The rims were very strong and used to come in 36, 40 and 48 holes for tandem and heavy touring use.
Old 04-04-20, 10:45 AM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
The discoloration isn't ON the rim, it's IN the aluminum. Nothing will remove this. The aluminum has oxidized from age, neglect or exposure and this is how it looks now. Don't waste time or money trying to fix what isn't broken. Look for cracks or splits and otherwise just ride. I have many vintage motorcycles with discolored engine cases and they're just fine. No amount of elbow grease will solve your issue. Call it patina and live with it.