Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Italian Mystery

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Italian Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 11:14 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I've been following this thread closely. I've sifted thru scores of bike pics without success. At this point I believe that it may be a homemade frame which could explain the lack of graphics. Maybe Luigi came into the shop after hours and built a frame. In a country like Italy there must have been plenty of obscure builders scattered about.
Old 01-31-13, 12:35 AM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure the nut on the brake bridge is not original. No idea of its purpose. I'm still convinced it's a Fiorelli- I'll try to take some better pics of my bike in the next couple of days to show the similarities. Other than the chrome lugs, the "Coppi" branding on the drop outs and the stay caps, it's almost identical. The man I bought my bike told me he thought it was a '72...
Old 01-31-13, 06:31 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Andycapp
I'm pretty sure the nut on the brake bridge is not original. No idea of its purpose. I'm still convinced it's a Fiorelli- I'll try to take some better pics of my bike in the next couple of days to show the similarities. Other than the chrome lugs, the "Coppi" branding on the drop outs and the stay caps, it's almost identical. The man I bought my bike told me he thought it was a '72...
Indeed, this frame even has the chrome peeking through on the head lugs, crown and chain stay...
Old 01-31-13, 08:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred
I've been following this thread closely. I've sifted thru scores of bike pics without success. At this point I believe that it may be a homemade frame which could explain the lack of graphics. Maybe Luigi came into the shop after hours and built a frame. In a country like Italy there must have been plenty of obscure builders scattered about.
That would seem improbable, given a 5 character serial number. Even if we assume one character is a year indicator, that means the shop is buidling at least 1,000 frames a year. If it's purely sequential, then the shop was over 9,000 frames when this one was built. While these are not mass production numbers, they are also not what you see from somebody who just wanted to try his hand at framebuilding.
Old 01-31-13, 09:04 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That would seem improbable, given a 5 character serial number. Even if we assume one character is a year indicator, that means the shop is buidling at least 1,000 frames a year. If it's purely sequential, then the shop was over 9,000 frames when this one was built. While these are not mass production numbers, they are also not what you see from somebody who just wanted to try his hand at framebuilding.
That was my thought. I'm curious to compare my S/N to the one on AndyCapp's frame. Might shed some light on similarities and/or sequencing.

Last edited by Hudson308; 01-31-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 03:44 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar

Okay, I understand your reasoning. If you are correct then where are the rest of the frames?
Old 01-31-13, 05:52 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Looks like an old Torpado to me.
Old 01-31-13, 06:12 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I'm not having any luck finding a similar torpado frame...
Old 01-31-13, 06:37 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Okay, I understand your reasoning. If you are correct then where are the rest of the frames?
If this frame was indeed built by Fiorelli, my understanding is that they also made a wide variety of other bicycle types. Maybe the other serial numbers are stamped on frames hiding in plain sight... bicycles that you and I might not find interesting enough to investigate.
Old 02-01-13, 11:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
A lot of the smaller Italian brands were perfectly happy with supplying only to the Italian or European markets and never distributed to North America, so they're virtually unknown by forum members and rarely seen here. Simarily, a lot of the smaller USA builders that are familiar to us did not market outside North America and are virtually unknown in Europe. While the forum does have some European members, the vast majority appear to be form the USA.
Old 02-01-13, 05:19 PM
chrismorg

Bikes: Colnago Master. Cannondale caad4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
naaaa I have a older torpado frame and nothing matches up to this one
Old 02-02-13, 06:39 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's the pics I promised. Not sure why the color's so off, but I hope they show some of the matching details. My serial is hard to read but looks to be : 00805

-Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM0480.jpg (91.6 KB, 23 views)
HPIM0483.jpg (95.6 KB, 22 views)
HPIM0484.jpg (97.9 KB, 23 views)
HPIM0485.jpg (98.2 KB, 23 views)
HPIM0486.jpg (96.3 KB, 25 views)
HPIM0487.jpg (93.9 KB, 23 views)
HPIM0488.jpg (95.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-02-13, 06:48 PM
Andycapp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, the color is even worse than I thought, It's an orange bike in real life. The "Coppi" decals are 99% gone, but you can see the un-faded "ghosting" where they once were. The Coppi "head badge" and Fiorelli seat-tube decals are intact though, as well as the "Z-50 Light-Weight Steel-Tubing" decal. It's funny how when ever you see "light-weight" specified on a bike it never is - this is seemed un-butted gas pipe stuff!

-Andy
Old 02-02-13, 08:47 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by Andycapp
Wow, the color is even worse than I thought, It's an orange bike in real life. The "Coppi" decals are 99% gone, but you can see the un-faded "ghosting" where they once were. The Coppi "head badge" and Fiorelli seat-tube decals are intact though, as well as the "Z-50 Light-Weight Steel-Tubing" decal. It's funny how when ever you see "light-weight" specified on a bike it never is - this is seemed un-butted gas pipe stuff!
Thanks again, Andy!
Your pics confirm to me that these were probably made by the same frame builder. The RD cable guide, braze-ons, lugs, fork crowns... even your brake mount is similar, minus the mystery nut on the bottom. One huge difference - no tubing seams anywhere here, and this frame is pretty light for steel! Is that a weld seam running cross the bottom of the bracket? Anyway... I think you've solved this mystery!