Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

thunderstorm forecast for tomorrow...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 03:20 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

There are some thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow... I am a noob and wanted to know what you guys
do when there are thunderstorms forecast... do you ride or drive to work?
Old 02-20-14, 03:33 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride and get wet. Always have a plan for a bailout place to wait out a particularly bad squall.
Old 02-20-14, 04:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I’ll ride in the rain, but I’m dissuaded by lightning. I would wait it out, or take alternative transportation. Also consider this about cycling in drenching rain:

Originally Posted by WorldPax
We are the Commutinati and these are the Rules.
Rule #1 - Velominati
If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The last time I rode in such a drenching rain, about two years ago, I got so wet that I developed a presumed blister and subsequent abscess, “down there,” and was off the bike for two weeks. So if you ride in bad weather you may be a badass in more ways than one.
Old 02-20-14, 04:43 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride in the rain. But there have been a few times I've hidden out under an overpass waiting for the lightning to leave the area.
Old 02-20-14, 05:10 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drive, but lately i've just been clipping on my fenders and going for it. In L.A., the traffic get worse when it rains and it can double the driving time. The bike isn't affected by traffic.
Old 02-20-14, 05:43 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the rain unless it is pouring hard enough to make visibility a problem or there is lightening. Today the forecast in Memphis called for a 100% chance of severe thunderstorms. I drove. At the time I would have been riding home there was a lot of lightening and the tornado sirens were wailing.
Old 02-20-14, 05:50 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I also drove just south of Memphis. The moderate chance for severe weather plus the winds gusting near 40 MPH made me decide to drive. I commute mostly rural roads so my drive time is largely unaffected whether it's raining or not.

Other times if it's just a shower I'll ride. Stuff gets wet, oh well.
Old 02-20-14, 07:26 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Doppler radar is your friend. I find it very useful for seeing "windows" that allow avoiding the heavier rains. I don't mind getting wet, but if I can delay 15-20 minutes to avoid I will do that. I am lucky in that my normal schedule is arriving at work with a good buffer before starting and I can always leave a bit early in threatening conditions.
Old 02-20-14, 07:50 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride. More times than not, the weather man is dramatizing and I don't even get wet. Once in a long while I get caught in a storm. It's not the end of the world. And it leads to a good story.

I do try to avoid real cold AND wet. One is OK. A lot of both makes for numbing cold.
Old 02-20-14, 07:52 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on the wind speed and direction. I won't ride into a sustained 45+ mph headwind. That happened once last year. As for lightning, where I'm at, we don't get too bad of lightning storms. I've ridden thru many of them. Praying to Jesus every time to look over me and protect me. That's all I can do. There have been many times where I've jumped about six inches off the seat when a bolt hits nearby. Not fun, but I do it anyway.
Old 02-20-14, 07:53 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rain is one thing. People get wet and survive quite well. Lightening is another. Bodies don't do well with large amounts of current running through them. Doesn't matter how hard you thump on your chest, you will lose if you get hit by lightening.
Old 02-20-14, 07:55 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matariki
Doppler radar is your friend. I find it very useful for seeing "windows" that allow avoiding the heavier rains. I don't mind getting wet, but if I can delay 15-20 minutes to avoid I will do that. I am lucky in that my normal schedule is arriving at work with a good buffer before starting and I can always leave a bit early in threatening conditions.
+1! The value of a weather forecast is dubious. I never stay home because of the forecast that day! But the value of a current radar map is huge.
Old 02-20-14, 08:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I ride. More times than not, the weather man is dramatizing and I don't even get wet. Once in a long while I get caught in a storm. It's not the end of the world. And it leads to a good story.

I do try to avoid real cold AND wet. One is OK. A lot of both makes for numbing cold.
On our Comcast Cable TV we have the Weatherscan Channel, 245, with continuous Doppler over the Metropolitan Boston area, so I can see the immediate conditions over my route. Even when the weatherhuman is predicting rain for Boston, NOS, I can determine the immediate and near-future conditions nearly exactly over my route.

My decision is rarely whether to ride or not, but more often which bike and what to wear. If I ride the carbon fiber bike and stay dry, or the beater bike in the rain, I “win.” If I make the wrong choice, I “lose.”
Old 02-20-14, 08:27 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My decision is rarely whether to ride or not, but more often which bike and what to wear. If I ride the carbon fiber bike and stay dry, or the beater bike in the rain, I “win.” If I make the wrong choice, I “lose.”
Nice. Heads I win, tails you lose :-)