Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going clipless.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Thinking about going clipless.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 04:17 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
As I've said above, if your foot comes off a flat pedal in a sprint, the result would be exactly the same on either type of bike. Sprints aren't usually made from a seated position and if you lose contact with the pedal, the dangly bits aren't going to like it.
You can't imagine how spinning cranks could inflict more injury?
Old 10-13-14, 04:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
You can't imagine how spinning cranks could inflict more injury?
I think I've done about 12,500 km since commute and that hasn't happened once.

I haven't slipped off the pedals once even when commuting in the winter.
Old 10-13-14, 04:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

Did you ride those 12,500 km fixed gear or freewheel ??...there is a difference.
Old 10-13-14, 04:42 PM
tjspiel

Therefore it could never happen? FWIW, I have. Besides the post I was responding was discussing what would happen if your foot did slip off.
Old 10-13-14, 04:44 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Did you ride those 12,500 km fixed gear or freewheel ??...there is a difference.
10,000 on a MTB

last 2,500 on a SS.
Old 10-13-14, 04:47 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Therefore it could never happen? FWIW, I have. Besides the post I was responding was discussing what would happen if your foot did slip off.
I'm making the argument that after (2min/km @80rpm so 160rpm/km for 12,500km) an estimated 2,000,000 rpm and it hasn't happened once, that I'm not considering clip less pedals.

Seems like flawed logic to invest a fair bit of £ for a tiny problem.
Old 10-13-14, 04:49 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't read through all the arguing, but here are my thoughts.

I keep seeing people say stuff like "clipless for speed" "clipless won't really make you faster", etc. .. to that, I say that I prefer clipless (spd-sl) for climbing during my long uphill commute home. Being able to pull up while going up hills makes those hills easier. I also have a good connection to the pedals when it's raining and don't have to worry about my wet soles slipping around. Toe clips work ok in that case too, but still felt a little slippery.

I commute on my fixed gear mostly and being clipped in gives me a lot more speed and stopping control than regular toe-clips ever did. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk at work so no issues with changing shoes. If I do stop somewhere on the way home and need to walk around any stores or anything, it's really not hard at all, I don't understand why people have problems honestly. Sure i'm not going to walk for miles, but a little walking isn't difficult.
Old 10-13-14, 04:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
I didn't read through all the arguing, but here are my thoughts.

I keep seeing people say stuff like "clipless for speed" "clipless won't really make you faster", etc. .. to that, I say that I prefer clipless (spd-sl) for climbing during my long uphill commute home. Being able to pull up while going up hills makes those hills easier. I also have a good connection to the pedals when it's raining and don't have to worry about my wet soles slipping around. Toe clips work ok in that case too, but still felt a little slippery.

I commute on my fixed gear mostly and being clipped in gives me a lot more speed and stopping control than regular toe-clips ever did. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk at work so no issues with changing shoes. If I do stop somewhere on the way home and need to walk around any stores or anything, it's really not hard at all, I don't understand why people have problems honestly. Sure i'm not going to walk for miles, but a little walking isn't difficult.
Get out of here with your entirely reasonable response.
Old 10-13-14, 04:57 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I don't understand why people have problems honestly.
Because they look like crap. I do understand that trainers/"sneakers" are acceptable footwear outside of the gym in North America. This is not true on most of the planet. I'd easily get turned away from most restaurants will clip less shoes (I always carry a bow tie with me if I don't have a jacket.)

And a fair bit of pubs won't allow them depending on the flooring they have (mostly solid wood).

It's not a workable option for people who use bikes as sole transport.
Old 10-13-14, 05:06 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because they look like crap. I do understand that trainers/"sneakers" are acceptable footwear outside of the gym in North America. This is not true on most of the planet. I'd easily get turned away from most restaurants will clip less shoes (I always carry a bow tie with me if I don't have a jacket.)

And a fair bit of pubs won't allow them depending on the flooring they have (mostly solid wood).

I just meant why people say it's hard to walk in them. I understand they're not good for much off the bike. I've had security at stores not want to let me in with my shoes, but I put a rubber cover on the cleat and they were fine with it.

That said, I can understand where you're coming from as far as 'sole transport'. If I were riding anywhere other than work/home on a regular basis, i'd probably keep regular pedals on at least one of my bikes for those rides, or bring my walking shoes in a "man-purse" or something.

Last edited by bhop; 10-13-14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 05:10 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I just meant why people say it's hard to walk in them. I understand they're not good for much off the bike. I've had security at stores not want to let me in with my shoes, but I put a rubber cover on the cleat and they were fine with it.

That said, I can understand where you're coming from as far as 'sole transport'. If I were riding anywhere other than work/home, i'd probably keep regular pedals on at least one of my bikes for those rides.
This is not a dig on you directly, but I find it humorous that people on this forum (commuting), don't understand that a pair of reasonable shoes is required when a bike is sole transport.

Some of the previously posted clipless shoes are woefully inadequate (and that's being nice).

My colleagues that ride clipless with cycle clothing usually hit the bathroom at the restaurant and do a quick change and they can usually get in. Also, the uni is the big employer in the area, so faculty get special treatment, which I don't really like.
Old 10-13-14, 05:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I didn't know Europe had such strict dress codes for it's citizens. Are you saying most businesses in Europe turn away any person who is wearing athletic pants, running shoes and sleeveless top ??...I am glad I don't live in Europe anymore, I like my freedom.
Old 10-13-14, 05:16 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I didn't know Europe had such strict dress codes for it's citizens. Are you saying most businesses in Europe turn away any person who is wearing athletic pants, running shoes and sleeveless top ??...I am glad I don't live in Europe anymore, I like my freedom.
tracksuits are a no-go for sure. i like it that way. i'm not on the sofa, i'm spending money to not be surrounded by lazy people.

in stockholm nearly every bar had a red carpet and coat check.

to be honest, i don't own a t-shirt and don't remember the last time i saw one in the wild (not in the gym).
Old 10-13-14, 05:18 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being able to pull up while going up hills makes those hills easier.
To be fair, so does moving your foot forward on the pedal.
Old 10-13-14, 05:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
To be fair, so does moving your foot forward on the pedal.
I find it easier to climb hills with toe clips and straps then with my bmx pedals without toe clips and straps. Pulling up does make a difference.
Old 10-13-14, 05:35 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it easier to climb hills with toe clips and straps then with my bmx pedals without toe clips and straps. Pulling up does make a difference.
The fact remains that moving one's feet forward on the pedals makes it easier to climb compared to ball over spindle positioning.
Old 10-13-14, 06:06 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
The fact remains that moving one's feet forward on the pedals makes it easier to climb compared to ball over spindle positioning.
How?!?!?!
Old 10-13-14, 07:37 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Because they look like crap. I do understand that trainers/"sneakers" are acceptable footwear outside of the gym in North America.
perhaps at a fancy restaurant but this is simply not true at most cafes, pubs, bars, and restaurants.

I always carry a bow tie with me if I don't have a jacket.
trolling.

i don't know what sort of pubs you frequent but i've worn clipless shoes in many dozens of pubs in the UK and have never been turned away (even stuffy pubs in the city). ditto for bars/cafes in southern europe.

Old 10-13-14, 07:43 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
there are many businesses in north america that would turn away someone dressed like this. clubs and fancy bars are more likely to have a dress code in europe but there are plenty of places where one can grab a nice meal/drink dressed in athletic pants and trainers in any european nation. heck, in many european nations people wearing expensive athletic pants and running shoes are club/bar VIPs (and you often don't want to mess with these people).

Last edited by spare_wheel; 10-13-14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:28 PM
tjspiel

I'm making the argument that after (2min/km @80rpm so 160rpm/km for 12,500km) an estimated 2,000,000 rpm and it hasn't happened once, that I'm not considering clip less pedals.

Seems like flawed logic to invest a fair bit of £ for a tiny problem.
On a MTB and a SS right? Fixed is different. Since the pedals are always moving, the chances of your foot coming off is greater and the consequences are worse. But a lot depends on how you ride. I'm comfortable on a fixed gear without foot retention but I ride more conservatively.

Some people like riding fixed in the winter because of the added feel it gives you. I don't ride fixed gear in the winter because I don't want any foot retention other than pins. I want to be able to get my foot down in a hurry if need be. So for me, clipless is less safe during the winter. I'm not a clipless evangelist but I find them advantages in certain situations.

Last edited by tjspiel; 10-13-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:41 PM
tjspiel

Take a look at Quoc Pham or some of the DZR models. The Quoc Phams aren't really my cup of tea but I do like some of the DZRs. A suitably recessed cleat, especially with a cover isn't going to hurt a wood floor.

Last edited by tjspiel; 10-13-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 09:12 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Because they look like crap. I do understand that trainers/"sneakers" are acceptable footwear outside of the gym in North America. This is not true on most of the planet.
tracksuits are a no-go for sure. i like it that way. i'm not on the sofa, i'm spending money to not be surrounded by lazy people.
That's interesting, when I lived in Germany in the mid 80s, and France in the early 90s, Nike tracksuits and running shoes were the ubiquitous casual day wear.
Old 10-13-14, 09:33 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Really? You know, I bought a pair of these, but they haven't seemed quite as grippy as the previous Specialized pinned pedals I had ridden before. Hrm.

Was there anything particularly different about your situation, like it was raining? Or was it a regular ride?
It was a regular ride over some bumps and my foot bounced off the pedal..not slipped..bounced so the grippiness of the pedal pins had no effect. Actually this happened about three times over a week's stretch...enough for my sorry shins.
Rich
Old 10-13-14, 10:22 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
That's interesting, when I lived in Germany in the mid 80s, and France in the early 90s, Nike tracksuits and running shoes were the ubiquitous casual day wear.
in the 80s germans wore really wild running shoes with neon colors and velcro straps. everyone else in europe made fun of them.
Old 10-14-14, 12:24 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
It was a regular ride over some bumps and my foot bounced off the pedal..not slipped..bounced so the grippiness of the pedal pins had no effect. Actually this happened about three times over a week's stretch...enough for my sorry shins.
Rich
Huh. I guess it's difficult for me to relate to a situation where my foot would be on the peddle loosely enough that it could bounce off the pedal. If I hit bumps, it just...increases the force between my foot and the pedal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.