Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

2009 Trek Speed Concept Lance Armstrong ART BIKE Marc Newson - Livestrong

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 08:38 AM
kevind2803

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I purchased a rare Speed Concept over the weekend. Unfortunately it was not a fit for me but far too good of a deal to pass up. That said, as I am looking to decide what I am going to do with it, It would be helpful to know its value. Considering either having my wife use it for Ironmans or sell and but more bikes for myself. In a ton of searching I have only found 2 for sale across ebay, pink-bike, and pros closet. This particular one is the only one I have ever found with the special rear disk. Unfortunately it did not come with a seat or post so I have new ones in the mail. It also has a surface scratch from transport on the top tube but exactly in the place where you would mount atop tube carrier and would cover it. More info and pictures below. Thanks everyone!
  • This is a rare, Marc Newson custom design. It features a bold stroboscopic design. Trek Bicycle originally sold these for $25,000 and did a limited run of 100 quantity.
  • RARE. Only a handlful of Marc Newson stroboscopic rear discs were made. None were given away with normal distribution.
  • 1274 on the downtube denotes the number of days Lance was retired before making his come back.
  • https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2...-disc-wheel-of
  • https://hypebeast.com/2009/7/lance-a...by-marc-newson
  • Speed concept was not for sale to the masses until 2011.
  • Frame-carbon fiber and made in Waterloo Wisconsin. OCLV-Optimum compaction low void. Layering of carbon is molded uniquely to reduce overlap, excess glue, and improve durability. Frame is completely integrated Di2. It can be setup cable actuated.
  • REAR WHEEL, Lightweight 10 spd carbon rear disc was never ridden.
  • FRONT WHEEL, Bontrager Aeolus 9 tubular. A Bontrager XXX 700x23c
  • Crank set: Shimano Dura Ace FC-7900 54/42t and 172.5mm arms. Teeth in good condition
  • Front derailleur: Di2 2x10 spd braze on
  • Rear derailleur: Di2 10 spd short cage.
  • Cassette: Dura Ace 11-23 10 speed. Teeth in good condition.
  • Shifters/Brake Levers: Shimano Dura Ace Di2
  • Handlebar: Bontrager Speed Concept 40cm (center to center) or c-c.
  • My measurements may not compare to a Trek Bicycle Archive.
  • APPROXIMATELY: Top tube:52cm Head tube:10cm. Full Head tube to top cap:14cm. Seat tube:54cm. As shown with seatpost is 72cm.
  • Weight as shown, 17.33lbs

Old 03-11-20, 12:02 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
You could increase the bike's value if you could get Greg LeMond to sign it
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-11-20, 04:00 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Good one.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-11-20, 04:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
If you could get Greg to sign it, someone would probably nominate you for the Nobel peace prize.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-11-20, 11:03 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
You may have found the smallest niche bike market ever.
Tri bikes are a tough sale by themselves.
Any thing related to Lance Armstrong is a really tough sale.
You have both wrapped up into one.
You do realize no one really likes Lance anymore?
Old 03-12-20, 07:39 AM
kevind2803

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nesteel
You may have found the smallest niche bike market ever.
Tri bikes are a tough sale by themselves.
Any thing related to Lance Armstrong is a really tough sale.
You have both wrapped up into one.
You do realize no one really likes Lance anymore?
Wont disagree that this is a pretty niche bike.
Also wont disagree that Lance is far from the golden boy that he once was.

I will disagree that no one likes lance anymore. His Tour de France podcast, cycling podcast, and personal podcast all have audiences in the multiple millions.
With all of the public figures going down for really terrible things (Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Epstein, etc) its probably time to hop off the guy who doped in an era where the most if not all of top cyclist were doping. As has been proven over the years. Yes he was an ultra competitive ass hole and played dirty politics. The guy is older and out of the sport, owning that he did some messed up stuff. He is still one of the greatest cyclist of all time when you factor in all of the riders behind him that had also popped on a drug screen over the years. Playing fields aren't always equal. Let's also not discount the significant contribution he made to the cancer world through Livestrong.

All that said, Im not a Lance fan boy by any stretch. Just don't think it's necessary to keep someone in a doghouse forever for something like that. I am far from alone in that thinking. I didn't buy the bike because of Lance. I bought it because it's incredibly incredibly rare and with the deal I got on it I could spray paint the bike and get my money back.
Likes For kevind2803:
Old 03-12-20, 08:01 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I get the witty banter about Lance in this thread --- and I cannot offer a real opinion on its value . But I would disagree about people not liking Lance anymore.

The guy still has huge pull. Anytime he shows up at a celebrity sponsored bike ride (Barry Bonds, Bo Jackson - to name 2 off the top of my head -- Bonds coincidentally, also notorious for drug use) or one of the cancer rides, the turnout is something else.

The hardcore cycling public (like those of us who participate in cycling forums ) could care less about the guy, but the general public has forgotten his indiscretions. I have a lot of colleagues in the fitness community who shrug it off by simply saying -- "Well, everybody cheats in that sport anyway"

This machine is incredible and would definitely be a nice centerpiece for a bucks up collector

But my question about this bike is -- is it a tri bike or a TT bike -as he was dabbling in triathlon again prior to the comeback - 9&10 were Lance's 2 comeback years --- and on the podium in 09 at that -- love him or hate him , but that was an incredible performance for a 37-38 year old
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-12-20, 08:02 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
The only vintage thing I see in that pic is the floor.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 03-12-20, 08:13 AM
kevind2803

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55murray
The only vintage thing I see in that pic is the floor.
They sure are. Original pine floors from 1905. Truly my favorite part of my home.

Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum. I was looking for a place where someone might be able to give me some insight on this particular bike as I have very little clue on where to begin pricing it. Please let me know if I should post this somewhere else.
Old 03-12-20, 08:19 AM
kevind2803

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it helps, I am certain this exact bike for sale last year on eBay for 15K. It did not sell though.

I purchased it from a woman who had recently received in in her divorce. According to her, her ex-husband is a surgeon with too much money and never actually rode it. She said he paid over 7K for it. I don't know if that is accurate or the heavily discounted type of number we tell our wives when we buy something they will not understand the value of.

Without the wheels, a speed concept like this with Di2 would probably go in the 2-3K range on ebay.
Old 03-12-20, 08:28 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
The floors do look very cool, and the machine does as well! I was just being a smart***.
Old 03-12-20, 09:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by kevind2803
They sure are. Original pine floors from 1905. Truly my favorite part of my home.

Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum. I was looking for a place where someone might be able to give me some insight on this particular bike as I have very little clue on where to begin pricing it. Please let me know if I should post this somewhere else.

Youre in the right place -- post it in the racers or tri forums and the folks there might just look at it for its functional value -- but it would be a shame to subject this bike to a bike corral at a triathlon

It honestly should be displayed somewhere , but it would likely take a Robin Williams type (RIP ) who would pony up the 10k+ that the bike is actually worth

I have a couple of track funny bikes that are in the same boat -- priceless art objects, but getting somebody to actually pay what they are worth? probably impossible -- the cycling crowd is full of cheapskates
Old 03-12-20, 10:35 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Quoted from DMC707:

"the cycling crowd is full of cheapskates"

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 03-16-20, 11:34 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Being associated with Armstrong, you could always turn it into guitar pics.
Old 03-16-20, 03:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by kevind2803
Wont disagree that this is a pretty niche bike.
Also wont disagree that Lance is far from the golden boy that he once was.

I will disagree that no one likes lance anymore. His Tour de France podcast, cycling podcast, and personal podcast all have audiences in the multiple millions.
With all of the public figures going down for really terrible things (Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Epstein, etc) its probably time to hop off the guy who doped in an era where the most if not all of top cyclist were doping. As has been proven over the years. Yes he was an ultra competitive ass hole and played dirty politics. The guy is older and out of the sport, owning that he did some messed up stuff. He is still one of the greatest cyclist of all time when you factor in all of the riders behind him that had also popped on a drug screen over the years. Playing fields aren't always equal. Let's also not discount the significant contribution he made to the cancer world through Livestrong.

All that said, Im not a Lance fan boy by any stretch. Just don't think it's necessary to keep someone in a doghouse forever for something like that. I am far from alone in that thinking. I didn't buy the bike because of Lance. I bought it because it's incredibly incredibly rare and with the deal I got on it I could spray paint the bike and get my money back.
I am glad you wrote that, yes, spray it like a normal Trek, sell it off.
I was just thinking about him the other day as I tossed a book of his in the trash.
Old 03-16-20, 03:24 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I'm generally not a fan of modern style bike especially the ones with slanted top tubes. However that bike is Cool as a modern style bike can get.
Man, Don't change the color!
Old 03-16-20, 06:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Hope you have a line on a seatpost.
Old 03-16-20, 08:33 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts