Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suicide shifters Huret Simplex

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 08:43 PM
CTony

Bikes: 74 Raleigh InternationalRiva-Sport,Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Would like know if anyone are using such shifters. pictures?.I would like to install one a motobecane Pantin maybe 70s made.Thank you
Old 04-21-20, 08:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I wouldn't install one on a 70's bike just doesn't go with the bike also most are the older seat tube diameter 26.5 outside and wont't fit a mid 70's Moto with 27.0.
Old 04-21-20, 09:40 PM
CTony

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ok Thank you
Old 04-21-20, 09:52 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by CTony
Would like know if anyone are using such shifters. pictures?.I would like to install one a motobecane Pantin maybe 70s made.Thank you
What are "suicide shifters" ?
Old 04-21-20, 10:11 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
What are "suicide shifters" ?
That's what I'm wondering. I heard this a couple years back as a reference to downtube shifters. Historically it was more likely to refer to the old rod shifted front derailleurs.

If letting go of your handlebars for a second to shift is akin to suicide, it's time to work on your bike handling...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rs-really.html
Old 04-21-20, 10:15 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's what I'm wondering. I heard this a couple years back as a reference to downtube shifters. Historically it was more likely to refer to the old rod shifted front derailleurs.

If letting go of your handlebars for a second to shift is akin to suicide, it's time to work on your bike handling...

I see.

I've never used anything but shifters mounted on the downtube. I don't recall having to look at them to shift.
Old 04-21-20, 10:35 PM
branko_76 

I guess this is the original "suicide shifter", wondering if this is what the op is referring to?

Likes For branko_76:
Old 04-21-20, 10:40 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

I see.

I've never used anything but shifters mounted on the downtube. I don't recall having to look at them to shift.
I know right? Exactly. No one looks at them, at least not after a few rides. If anything I might look a lot farther back to verify what cog I'm in. I do that even on my current brifter bike. That is even more suicidal...
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 04-21-20, 10:44 PM
Salamandrine 

I guess this is the original "suicide shifter", wondering if this is what the op is referring to?
Maybe, let's hope. They were out by the 70s, but if the OP wants to put one on a 70s bike, why not?

I don't think seat tube sizes changed significantly between the 30s and the early 90s, and if they did there's always shims.
Old 04-21-20, 10:46 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by CTony
Are you referring to the type of shifter in post #7 ?
Old 04-21-20, 10:49 PM
branko_76 

Maybe, let's hope. They were out by the 70s, but if the OP wants to put one on a 70s bike, why not?

I don't think seat tube sizes changed significantly between the 30s and the early 90s, and if they did there's always shims.
I had a Falcon from the early 1970's that had similar gearing as the photo, something like 52 and 49 for the chainrings. I don't see why that shfter can't be used on a bike from that era.
Old 04-22-20, 07:10 AM
CTony

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ok,Now where can I get one
Old 04-22-20, 12:30 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
You get them from French ebay, assuming delivery services still cross the pond. (Anyone know how shipping has been going?) American prices much higher. Search on both “suicide” and on “levier”. The Huret on my Bates needed about ten seconds of help to work with a larger than French seat tube. Traditionalists very well might have used a rod operated shifter into 1970s. It does take a moment to reach down, the action is very positive and intuitive. Learning curve is about zero, it just works.
Old 04-22-20, 01:40 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Rod-type front shifters

I have these on a few bikes, mostly French ones from the 40s and 50s. They look neat and shift well, although the long reach down does take some getting used to. My favorite is the Simplex Competition, as it shifts the best and has the widest range of adjustment. I have found that the Huret sometimes won't have quite enough cage travel. Most of these rod shifters were made to fit a 28.0 (French) seat tube, so there should be no problem on a 70s French bike. You also want to make sure that the cage extends down far enough to handle your small chainring. I typically run something like 32-46 on the front of these bikes, and the Simplex can handle this fine. These shifters are fairly readily available on ebay.fr, but they aren't cheap and the shipping is expensive too. Sometimes a bargain can be found if you are patient.

Early 50s Metropole racer. The band and the knob were both missing so I made new ones out of aluminum:

Early 50s Blondin racer. This Simplex shifter was actually made in Italy:

Late 40s Alleluia 650B randoneuse with original Huret shifter. The location of the brazed-on mounting bracket is not ideal for this small of an outer ring. A chainguard can be fitted to the threaded hole in the pivot pin:

Late 40s LeGreves racer, although the shifer is from the late 50s (with the plastic knob):
Likes For Duke7777: