Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want a Rapid Rise derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I want a Rapid Rise derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 01:04 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The other disadvantage is the larger shift lever has the easier shift (with help of the RD spring) and the smaller lever the harder shift (against the spring).
Your first point about multi-shifts is valid, but the above quote is incorrect. The same lever will work against the spring in both cases, its just the direction that the RD moves that changes. With a Top Normal RD, the spring pulls the RD toward the smallest cog. With a Low Normal the spring pulls the RD toward the largest cog.
Old 10-02-19, 01:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,679 Times in 4,075 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
One other negative is that with reversing you can upshift 4-5 gears at a time. But downshift only 1 at a time. On an MTB I'm more in need of multi downshifts at a time.
That's the beauty of gripshifts and barend shifters, full sweep in either direction at will.
Old 10-02-19, 03:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I always believer that the cable pull to shift into a larger cog/ring was because it took more energy to lift that chain up. Relying on a spring to do so, especially when there would then be no "overshift" travel to the cage, requires a spot on index adjustment. This is what well biked said about single race adjustment expectations I think. I look at rapid rise as a "in a perfect world" type of thing. Too bad real life/bike riding isn't perfect very often. Andy
Old 10-02-19, 05:50 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Your first point about multi-shifts is valid, but the above quote is incorrect. The same lever will work against the spring in both cases, its just the direction that the RD moves that changes. With a Top Normal RD, the spring pulls the RD toward the smallest cog. With a Low Normal the spring pulls the RD toward the largest cog.
I stand corrected. I think my thought of train was similar to what andy said.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I always believer that the cable pull to shift into a larger cog/ring was because it took more energy to lift that chain up. Relying on a spring to do so, especially when there would then be no "overshift" travel to the cage, requires a spot on index adjustment. This is what well biked said about single race adjustment expectations I think. I look at rapid rise as a "in a perfect world" type of thing. Too bad real life/bike riding isn't perfect very often. Andy
Old 10-04-19, 04:58 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
There’s something you don’t hear everyday.
Old 06-19-20, 08:06 AM
Rolly82

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my rapid rise rear derailleur.

I've had my KTM MTB for over 20 years and the Nexave Megarange rapid rise rear derailleur always worked just fine. The gear shifter needed opening and cleaning once because it was sticky and wouldn't shift down any more. I haven't had to change the cable once in over 20 years.
Old 06-19-20, 09:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I put Rapid Rise on a mountain bike for my wife 5/6 years ago. She has ridden road bikes with down tube shifters, but the triggers caused her shifting issues. Even though she does not ride anything technical, I want her the know that she was shifting the right direction.

I ended up putting one on my bike and liked the ability to dump the cassette like paintball (single finger of course) if I had to.

So now I’ve got a few flat bar bikes with them.

I’ve had no issues with them at all, even the bikes where I have gone down in water. I keep waiting for the doomsday, but it just hasn’t come.

I’ve used 3 RR derailleurs...

Deore 580 - wouldn’t recommend because of a weak B spring.
XT 760 - probably the best and has been bulletproof.
XTR 960 - not enough improvement over the 760.

I really don’t care about the opinion of the derailleurs. I buy and build what I want.

John
Old 06-20-20, 11:29 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
dsaul said easier for new riders to figure out. this is exactly what Suntour thought with their
backwards front derailleurs of the early 70s but they were soon scapped. the standard arrangement
just makes more sense from a mechanical view. use the strength of the cable pull to make the
difficult shift (low) and let the spring ease it down to high and if the shifters move in opposite
directions so be it.
Old 06-21-20, 07:11 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I have a few of them that I will be selling once I can finally travel post Covid-19.