Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC ROADMACHINE 03 105 BIKE vs. giant defy advanced 2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 09:23 PM
brobbins50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm sort of a bike novice here, but looking to buy the 2017 of either the BMC Roadmachine 03 105 or the Giant defy Advanced 2. I am getting into cycling but by no means competitively. From what I understand, these are both Endurance bikes, which is what I am looking for, and the BMC is aluminum vs. the Giant which is Carbon. Among these two bikes, which one I should get? Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks!

-BR
Old 02-27-17, 09:31 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Roadmachine is not endurance. BMC's endurance if the GF series (gran fondo). Roadmachine was meant for in between, comfortable long rides, but aggressive enough for performance and with the disc brakes, ready for some light gravel/offroad riding. It's supposed to be the jack of all trades.

IMO, Roadmachine is more similar to TCR Advanced Disc than Defy.

Which should you get? Whichever you like more?
Old 02-27-17, 09:33 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You should seriously consider waiting for the Canyon to start selling in the US. Only a few months away.
Old 02-27-17, 09:51 PM
brobbins50

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Roadmachine is not endurance. BMC's endurance if the GF series (gran fondo). Roadmachine was meant for in between, comfortable long rides, but aggressive enough for performance and with the disc brakes, ready for some light gravel/offroad riding. It's supposed to be the jack of all trades.

IMO, Roadmachine is more similar to TCR Advanced Disc than Defy.

Which should you get? Whichever you like more?
Thanks- much appreciated. Ok, so, it looks like the Grand Fondo tends to be more expensive than the Giant Defy. Is there any reason to get the Gran Fondo? I get that "whichever I like more" makes sense, of course, but just on specs, which one would you go for?
Old 02-27-17, 09:57 PM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
You should seriously consider waiting for the Canyon to start selling in the US. Only a few months away.
LOL. I needed a laugh today.
Old 02-28-17, 05:34 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I'd get the Giant a) because I'm not a fan of aluminum, and b) because the Giant dealer is practically around the corner.
Get whichever one looks best and you can get on the road with soonest.
Seriously, until you decide - from experience - what qualities matter to you, it's hard to go wrong selecting from any mass market road bike from a reputable dealer. Any one will be more than serviceable. My first bike as a grown-up was a race bike, and while that's not the kind of bike I ride most of the time and it was pretty expensive for a"starter bike," I never regretted getting it. I only regretted not getting something sooner.
Old 02-28-17, 05:50 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I disagree with the post above about the Gran Fondo being a better endurance bike. The Roadachine can fit wider tires. It is a better and more modern execution of an endurance frame given its relatively upright position (can be setup more upright than the Gran Fondo). I see few similarities with the TCR other than the components.

I was shocked to see how tightly the 25c tires fit in the granfondo and would never recommend it given the trend moving toward wider tires.

The Giant will offer you better value than the BMC. I agree with the benefits related to your proximity to the Giant retailer. This is a huge benefit that favours the Giant.

Consider a Trek Domane Disc if you want to round out your endurance choices. Some good value can be found there.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 02-28-17 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-28-17, 06:49 AM
motosonic

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with SkepticalOne, the GranFondo and the RoadMachine both fit the mold of a traditional 'endurance' bike. Which, from what I have seen over the years is a VERY Broad spectrum of geometries. As an example, my 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo is considered a "fondo" or "Endurance" geometry.. but it's riding position is very aggressive.. I, personally would call it race geometry. I think some manufacturers slap fondo or endurance on pretty much anything. Anyway, my point here is, these are both good choices and will suit your needs fine for endurance riding, but the question you have to ask yourself is... do I really want Aluminum? Will I be happy with it in the long term? I once thought I would, be.. too. The BMC are a bit pricey for what you get, but there's no denying that the Roadmachine is worth every penny. Although, I'd prefer carbon. So, if I personally had to choose between these two, I'd pick the Giant. If other brands are an option, then I could suggest more that will work for you.
Old 02-28-17, 08:21 AM
Symtex

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brobbins50
Hi Everyone,

I'm sort of a bike novice here, but looking to buy the 2017 of either the BMC Roadmachine 03 105 or the Giant defy Advanced 2. I am getting into cycling but by no means competitively. From what I understand, these are both Endurance bikes, which is what I am looking for, and the BMC is aluminum vs. the Giant which is Carbon. Among these two bikes, which one I should get? Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks!

-BR
I am a little bias but as an owner of the Giant Defy advance 2, I say go with the Giant. I never regretted that choice.
Old 02-28-17, 07:55 PM
2wheellurker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW - I was between these exact two. Also, my shop was told despite the GF being the BMC site it was no longer available. I ended up ordering the DA2 today. Just couldn't beat what you get for the money and I loved the way it rode.
Old 03-01-17, 07:18 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Maybe. I read that they'll sell on line, but not through actual dealers. If that's true, I'd never buy a bike I couldn't fit.
Old 03-01-17, 08:21 PM
Canuk1w1

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was impressed with the Defy - I liked it better than the Specialized Roubaix. Giant kits out their bikes nicely - if yu aren't into racing it comes with mounts for camera and computer. Giant are a massive manufacturer so offer slightly better "value" in terms of stuff you get. OTOH, their bikes top out in the middle range so there "might" be more engineering in the BMC if that matters to you at all - it does to me but I'm a geek.
In the end, try to ride both of them for at least a few miles. Hopefully you can ride over some varied terrain with climbs and descents to get a good feel for them. As others have said you really cannot go wrong with either.
FWIW, I went with a Super6 Evo, because I really love riding that bike!
Old 03-01-17, 09:36 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Maybe. I read that they'll sell on line, but not through actual dealers. If that's true, I'd never buy a bike I couldn't fit.
And read of some horror stories trying to get right fit if you made mistake in your order, since they like to use proprietary integrated everything.
Old 03-02-17, 09:20 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
And read of some horror stories trying to get right fit if you made mistake in your order, since they like to use proprietary integrated everything.
Agreed. The Canyons look nice, but there's no way I'd buy any bike on line. I just bought a new Roubaix and it fits, but needed some tweeks, like a different stem, etc. I'll stick with the LBS, thanks.