Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 07-09-20, 06:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Filed federal and state tax returns today.
Old 07-10-20, 06:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Filed federal and state tax returns today.
Im taking my full 6 days before ponying up
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-20, 07:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Im taking my full 6 days before ponying up
I did mine back in February, before it was extended. I owed like $100 federal which I scheduled for April 10th.

Didn't bother moving it once it was extended. Not worth my time.
Old 07-11-20, 01:06 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
We owed 6k so we waited until after we closed on our house sale end of June.
Old 07-11-20, 06:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
We owed 6k.
Damn. Reminds me of a car dealer I worked with a corrupt office manager. Two of the mechanics got on his bad side so he changed their withholding to be sure they each owed thousands at tax time. Our checks are always different so it would be hard to tell. He was later busted for embezzlement and went to jail.
Old 07-11-20, 02:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

If I do it right, I owe just below the point I'd have to pay an under witholding penalty. So its usually a hefty sum, but I held the money during the course of the year.
Old 07-11-20, 03:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

If I do it right, I owe just below the point I'd have to pay an under witholding penalty. So its usually a hefty sum, but I held the money during the course of the year.
I'm too much of a wuss. Plus, interest rates are just so terrible, and have been basically my entire professional life.
Old 07-12-20, 08:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
we're going to do ours later today. I have my withholding setup so its basically break even. I might owe a little more this time as I didn't have any student loan payment deductions. Paid those off in December 2018.
Old 07-12-20, 10:49 AM
Flatballer
No matches

So I did the math, looks like it's 90% triggers the penalty? I think I could conceivably keep back enough extra to make like $200 a year, more likely $100 with more conservative investments.

Savings account would only get me like $20 or something. You must either make a LOT of money, or have much better investment opportunities than I do. Or I'm doing the math wrong.
Old 07-12-20, 07:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

There are two rules for deductions without penalty. One must pay in 90% each quarter of what is due IRS and there is a safe harbor if one pays in more than one owed in the previous year. Hence, one could double ones salary or have investments that generated significant income and end up owing IRS a lot but paying no penalty or interest just the tax due.
Old 07-13-20, 09:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Flatballer
So I did the math, looks like it's 90% triggers the penalty? I think I could conceivably keep back enough extra to make like $200 a year, more likely $100 with more conservative investments.

Savings account would only get me like $20 or something. You must either make a LOT of money, or have much better investment opportunities than I do. Or I'm doing the math wrong.
It’s not much money, more the principle of just not giving them more than I have to. In addition to the return on investment, holding on to the money helps with cash flow management.
Old 07-14-20, 02:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
99% certain we are going to cancel our wedding, originally scheduled 5/9, postponed to 10/3/2020. We did the courthouse thing about a month ago and spent the rest of the week in Napa enjoying fine food and wine. It was nice and things are good.

There are certainly going to be some sort of distancing guidelines or at least regulations by then, we're both pretty sure. If not, will people feel OK being close/giving eachother a hug? Do we want to shell out $15k+ for a big day if it's not going to be what we want? We'd be getting some support form both sides but we'd be ponying up most of the wedding, at least that much.

At this point it's sounding like a better option to save that for an eventual home down payment. 15 grand doesn't do a whole lot towards a down payment down here, but it's not like we'd be able to make up that much cash very quickly.
Old 07-14-20, 03:02 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I think you would be a small minority if you proceeded with an affair. I think it will be a trend.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-14-20, 03:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
99% certain we are going to cancel our wedding, originally scheduled 5/9, postponed to 10/3/2020. We did the courthouse thing about a month ago and spent the rest of the week in Napa enjoying fine food and wine. It was nice and things are good.

There are certainly going to be some sort of distancing guidelines or at least regulations by then, we're both pretty sure. If not, will people feel OK being close/giving eachother a hug? Do we want to shell out $15k+ for a big day if it's not going to be what we want? We'd be getting some support form both sides but we'd be ponying up most of the wedding, at least that much.

At this point it's sounding like a better option to save that for an eventual home down payment. 15 grand doesn't do a whole lot towards a down payment down here, but it's not like we'd be able to make up that much cash very quickly.
That's exactly what we did. The money definitely came in handy when it came to buying a house. We also had a nice honeymoon that did not leave us in a financial hole. We're going to have a bbq whenever the covid thing blows over - probably 2069.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-14-20, 05:21 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Or a couple bikes. Another vacation. A used car. Anything. I'd say save the money.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-14-20, 05:21 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

I'm engaged and I'm seriously tempted to skip the wedding party part but both our moms would be pretty disappointed. Probably fall 2021

I should be in Seattle right now for a funeral that was cancelled...
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-14-20, 10:25 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Does anyone find it harder to swap rear wheels with the shadow RD's vs the older style shimano ones?
I'm finding it to be a total PITA to do this and it always takes me longer than I feel like it should...
Old 07-15-20, 03:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Stick to surgery
Old 07-15-20, 11:43 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Stick to surgery
Haha
Burn

Is RTC a MD now?
Old 07-15-20, 02:12 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

The IRS and State of CA sucked the money I owed them out of my account today.
Old 07-15-20, 06:05 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
We've been in the bay area a while now and want a change. We sold our AZ house and are wanting to buy somewhere but don't know where. Kairee likes being near beaches, but also really wants to move to pacific northwest. They have beaches I guess, the cold kind we could afford. I'm not sure about all that cold and rain. I'd like to be near national parks for camping, hiking. California is good cuz I'm licensed here for structural engineering, but I think I could get licensed elsewhere pretty easily. West coast is good cuz earthquakes are good for business. And it's close enough that we could road trip to scope out potential areas. Portland and Seattle areas are obvious potentials.

Ideally we find a duplex or something easily converted. Rent one side out, live in the other sometimes, travel other times. I've always liked the idea of being a car dweller, and now the whole van life thing exploded so I'd like to find a van and convert it for extended road trips. At first we were thinking buy a house first before spending money on a van. Kairee suggested renting a van for a house-scoping road trip, but those are ridiculously expensive to rent. Minimum $2k for 2 weeks. I'd rather put that towards buying a van. So now we are thinking buy a gutted cargo van (ideally promaster 159 wb), stick some crap in there for a 2 week trial run while we scope out places to buy, then work on finding a house. The only issue with buying a van is parking it here in SF. Parking is readily available where we live, but there are overnight height limits of 7 ft. I'm thinking maybe just give it a go, maybe park by the park where all the other van dwellers are.
Old 07-15-20, 06:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Stick to surgery
That would be bad for everyone involved

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Haha
Burn

Is RTC a MD now?
​​​​​Yeahhh 🙃
Psychiatry resident!

I actually wanted to do surgery before med school and published a fair amount in orthopedic spine and orthopedic oncology with a pretty prominent group.

Then I remembered that I like having free time and having had back surgery twice doesn't bode well for standing hunched over for 100 hours a week during training and wised up.

I'm pretty happy though. Done with medicine wards stuff and working on psych units now. Never a dull day.

I did feel a bit weird leaving the medical hospital during covid. I'd been in that setting since March. Twas a doozy.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 07-15-20 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 07-15-20, 07:57 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Haven't been by in years, but someone just sent me a note about Pcad on Instagram. He was always entertaining, always informative, often the best sort of pain the ass. Sorry to everyone who knew him better than I did. Pouring one out for him tonight.
Likes For ZeCanon:
Old 07-15-20, 10:07 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
That would be bad for everyone involved

​​​​​Yeahhh 🙃
Psychiatry resident!

I actually wanted to do surgery before med school and published a fair amount in orthopedic spine and orthopedic oncology with a pretty prominent group.

Then I remembered that I like having free time and having had back surgery twice doesn't bode well for standing hunched over for 100 hours a week during training and wised up.

I'm pretty happy though. Done with medicine wards stuff and working on psych units now. Never a dull day.

I did feel a bit weird leaving the medical hospital during covid. I'd been in that setting since March. Twas a doozy.
Right on.

I take my 112.5 mg of Venlafaxine daily and it really helps.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-17-20, 11:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

My wife co-authored a recent journal article titled the Evolution of Data Ethics in Clinical Research and Drug Development published in Elsevier. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...300554#sec0055. Considering the times we are living in, this is cutting edge stuff you may find interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.