Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Going Clipless on a Vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 11:06 AM
bfuser284953024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was thinking of switching my 1985 Torpado. I've been looking at a couple options, but had a couple questions before I started spending money all willy nilly.

Do I need to worry about spindle size at all? I'm really nervous to buy a set of pedals and find they aren't compatible with the crank arms.
Should I start with finding the pedals I like best, or finding a pair of shoes first? Then figure out the second to match the first? How have some of you done it?

I'm open to any advise or suggestions
Old 02-18-19, 11:16 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
Hanna

almost all pedals for modern bikes are a standard size of 9/16 X 20. Unless you buy pedals for a child's bike, or some vintage French pedals (unlikely in clipless) you can be very confident that the clipless pedals you buy will fit.

I have ridden Shimano SPDs for years and really like them, in particular the "walkability" of the shoes and the "float" allowed by some of the cleats.

Be sure to grease the pedal threads when you install and remember - the left pedal is "Left hand threaded". "Righty loosey". Opposite of normal threads. Your shop will know this - but if you install yourself (it's easy if you have a pedal wrench) you'll want to know this.

good luck.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 02-18-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 11:16 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Think first about what you do when you get off the bike. If you do a lot of walking around, then consider MTB style pedals and shoes. Most MTB style shoes have inset cleats that make it eays to walk around, even on wood or ceramic tile floors, with slipping or damaging the floor. That's what I use. Youcan also find a lot of shoelace style shoes that lace up, which looks a little more vintage-y.

Road cleats work great if you don't walk around much, you can also buy covers for the cleats. The shoes tend to be more modern looking, and the pedals are larger, so there's that.

Most bikes use a standard 9/16" pedal shaft, so unless you're dealing with a french bike or a BMX, you should be OK.
Old 02-18-19, 11:27 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
See if the crank arm are stamped 9/16. If not try out a pair of 9/16 pedals you already own (from another bike if you don't have loose). High quality used pedals typically sell for a tiny fraction of their original cost.
Old 02-18-19, 11:33 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve been using Shimano A600 SPD Pedals on my old bikes for years (1980 Miyata Pro and 1985 Gazelle). They work great!

https://www.rei.com/product/131453/s...avement-pedals
Old 02-18-19, 12:13 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Your bike crank in 1985 has 9/16" x 20 tpi pedal axle threads.

That same era, the clipless pedal was just being introduced and used by some of the pro's, using Look.

Suggest you start out with the Shimano PD-m324. Its a classic platform style on one side with chrome cage, the obverse with SPD.

Plenty of shoes in all styles are available, from conservative to race. The SPD has recessed cleats so walking in them is rather normal.
Old 02-18-19, 12:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Walking, looking almost normal, long cleat life = SPD and the A520 or A600 are great. A600 is my recommendation. Smaller, more “acute” pressure points.

Riding, performance underway, larger footprint, dorky off the bike = Look, Shimano SPD-SL, many others. I like Look Keo and Keo-compatibles. The Optigo Thrust 7 and 8 are my recommendation; lighter than Dura Ace and 1/4 the cost.
Old 02-18-19, 01:05 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
The Shimano M324 pedals work well and aren't too expensive new. Their advantage is that the other side is a standard cage so you don't have to wear SPD shoes to ride. They are fairly heavy.

The A600 pedals are very nice but pricier than the M324 - much lighter too.

Another SPD pedal you should consider is the Xpedo M-FORCE 3. They look good on classic bikes as they are silver, and they work very well. They're double sided, so you can clip in on either side of the pedal, might be a little easier than the M324 or the A600 as those only have one-sided SPD clips.

Last edited by speedevil; 02-18-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 01:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Clipless pedals came out in 1985 more or less. Nothing at all inappropriate about swapping them in, especially since traditional slot cleated cycling shoes have not been available for many years.

I also vote for SPD type pedals. It is very convenient to be able to walk, and there really isn't a reason for a recreational cyclist to not use them.

Originally Posted by speedevil
Another SPD pedal you should consider is the Xpedo M-FORCE 3. They look good on classic bikes as they are silver, and they work very well. They're double sided, so you can clip in on either side of the pedal, might be a little easier than the M324 or the A600 as those only have one-sided SPD clips.
+1 I really like the Xpedo M-Force 3 pedals. They are my favorites so far, and as you say they are silver and do look good on classic bikes. We shall see how they hold up. I liked the Ritchey Micro pedals too, until they broke.

FWIW, I had a lot of problems with A600 pedals making noises from rubbing on my shoes. It drove me pretty batty. Most people don't seem to have this issue. Must be me. I do tend to pull up fairly hard at times, coming from the era of big gears and slot cleats. The build quality of the pedals is very good and can't be faulted.
Old 02-18-19, 01:38 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

If you've had problems with cleats creaking or squeaking - here's a free tweak !

every now and then, rub a bar of soap on the pedal "claw" mechanism that engages the cleats.

Easy, free and works great.

Mark Petry
Old 02-18-19, 01:44 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
You can have great luck looking for used stuff if you don't want to commit to the investment. I bought a pair of Shimano M-540 pedals for about $20 on eBay.
the biggest difficulty I had was with shoe sizing. EU sizes seemed to have different conversions to US depending on what chart I used .
Old 02-18-19, 01:54 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
If you've had problems with cleats creaking or squeaking - here's a free tweak !

every now and then, rub a bar of soap on the pedal "claw" mechanism that engages the cleats.

Mark Petry
Or beeswax, a bit more waterproof.

For pedals, it’s hard to beat spd for walking around, but if that’s unimportant, I really like the old Look or Look-licensed Shimano pedals that take Delta cleats. They are usually very inexpensive and the bearings never seem to wear out; and I have a slight preference for the larger platform + larger engagement + no metal to metal creakiness as with spd’s.
Old 02-18-19, 02:16 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Shop around for shoes that fit you well. There are lots of variations in fit to go along with our many foot shapes. Do you have an REI near you? They typically have a decent selection in-store and many more online, with a generous return policy.

https://www.rei.com/c/cycling-shoes

I prefer a shoe that lets me adjust it (ratcheting upper strap or Boa cord) while riding, since my last few pairs seemed to loosen on my low volume feet after wearing for 10-15 minutes. But my wife has been quite happy with her last few pairs with all Velcro closures and her latest with laces.

As others have mentioned, the SPD cleat pattern (2-bolt) is found on most walkable shoes. If you have a shop that sells used bike equipment, used SPD pedals are a great value. Check that the spindles turn smoothly. Used pedals probably won’t include the SPD cleats, put they are inexpensive. Just be sure to get the brand that matches the pedal. Shimano are most widely available, and their pedals seem to last forever.
Old 02-18-19, 02:36 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Nothing at all inappropriate about swapping them in, especially since traditional slot cleated cycling shoes have not been available for many years.

The Yellow Jersey Bike Shop in Arlington, WI sells slotted cleats that fit Look and SPD bolt pattern shoes. Putting clipless pedals on a vintage bike is akin to putting disc wheels on a Model T Ford. Sure, they work ok but they just don't look right.
Jon
Old 02-18-19, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw: use a legit pedal wrench
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-18-19, 02:46 PM
Trinity Pratt

Bikes: 2014 Wilier Zero.9, 2010 Orbea Aqua, 2007 Ross mtb, 1972 Sekine GS, 1971 Motobecane Grand Record, 1953 Parkes Magpie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm using a set of cheap Shimano SPD-SLs on my '71 Motobecane. It came to me with ruined toe clips. Never having ridden with toe clips anyway, I just took them off and rode it platform for a while. When I upgraded pedals on my Orbea I moved the old ones to the Moto. Just have the one pair of cleats.
Old 02-18-19, 02:53 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Raspberry's are a right of passage . The more you get the more you learn . I went back to cages , I'm to old for that stuff .
Old 02-18-19, 03:14 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mark Petry
Originally Posted by due ruote

Or beeswax, a bit more waterproof.

For pedals, it’s hard to beat spd for walking around, but if that’s unimportant, I really like the old Look or Look-licensed Shimano pedals that take Delta cleats. They are usually very inexpensive and the bearings never seem to wear out; and I have a slight preference for the larger platform + larger engagement + no metal to metal creakiness as with spd’s.
Yeah, you'd think that would work. I tried all of the above and many other assorted lubricants, finally resorting to greasing the platforms before every ride. At that point I had had enough. I've never had an issue with metal to metal creak, it was the shoe interacting with the extended platform. I was using Shimano's touring shoe (RT82), and Shimano's top end touring pedal. You'd think they would have tested this combo. Didn't work any better with my MTB shoes, so I blame the pedal.

I spray the Xpedos with LPS3 every few months, which I do to my Shimano SPD pedals as well. Boeshield is more or less the same kind of stuff. Spray wax in a can.

The Xpedo pedals use a slightly modified cleat. It is an interesting design with some extra surface area compared to a standard SPD, and it makes a very solid contact. It works very well and has been problem and creak free. They have a bit more float than Shimano, which took a bit of getting used to, but now I like it. Probably good for my knees, now that I'm no longer a spring chicken.
Old 02-18-19, 03:25 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by Jon T
The Yellow Jersey Bike Shop in Arlington, WI sells slotted cleats that fit Look and SPD bolt pattern shoes. Putting clipless pedals on a vintage bike is akin to putting disc wheels on a Model T Ford. Sure, they work ok but they just don't look right.
Jon
Yeah, I know about those. I'm pretty sure they only fit Look bolt pattern shoes. I guess i could get a cheap set of 3 bolt shoes just to run with clips/straps, but most modern shoes don't have compatible uppers. For ceremonial rides on the old bikes, I'm more inclined to get some brit style touring shoes.

I'm not really that purist, but I can appreciate where you're coming from. FWIW I do still have traditional pedals on my actual vintage bikes. At this point they are mostly decorations. If they were my main riders, I would seriously consider bastardizing them with clipless. I spent my youth with slot cleats and straps, and I'm not that nostalgic about it. Pedals can always be switched back anyway.

At any rate, the OP's bike is a 1985 Torpado, and clipless pedals are totally appropriate. I spent half that year drilling peoples old school shoes to take Look pedal cleats, and various others types as well.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 02-18-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 04:20 PM
bfuser284953024

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh wow, so much advise! Thanks everyone Great to know there shouldn't be any issues with crank/pedal compatibility. I did check the cranks - they say 9/16 on them. Finally I'll get some use out of the pedal wrench I bought years ago!

I had been looking at Shimano SPD. I really like the idea of the pedals that can be clipped on both sides. Something something easier to get in something something I'm clumsy and will probably have a hard time clipping in

My LBS has loads of shoe options, both MTB and road types, so I'll go in and try on a bunch. Honestly, little nervous about the shoe shopping part. I have a nasty scar on my right foots that makes most shoes pretty uncomfortable. I'm betting that hunting down a style of shoe that works with my scar is going to be the toughest part. The folks there are super nice though, so I have a good feeling!
Old 02-18-19, 04:38 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
Be sure to practice your unclipping....stopping/leaning before you set out on the roads...most critical to happy transition/riding.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-18-19, 04:51 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Using clipless is easy...but practise on a trainer, against a wall or hallway where you won't fall over. Loosen the adjustment to its weakest tension at the beginning. Shoes just need to be comfortable...the more expensive are lighter and have a different adjustment mechanism...Velcro works just fine.
Good luck...and practice putting both feet in and out...many times...:-)
Old 02-18-19, 04:54 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

all right, last piece of advice for today : don't bust your knuckles removing those pedals ! we've all done it.

before you start, spray something (PB Blaster, WD40, I use Aero Kroil) into the pedal where it threads into the arm, front and back. Give it 15 minutes to soak in, give it a whack with your wood block or candy hammer.

then get set up. If you can get the bike in a stand that's the way to go. the pedal wrench is offset /clocked in a funny way. What I do is - on the drive side arm, get the wrench situated so you are pulling toward you to loosen the pedal - and then reach thru the frame and hold the other arm as counter pressure. Does this make sense ? Put on your gardening gloves to protect your hands.

Mark Petry

Last edited by mpetry912; 02-18-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 05:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
OP,
Be sure to practice your unclipping....stopping/leaning before you set out on the roads...most critical to happy transition/riding.
Best, Ben
True- but most clipless pedals have adjustable tension. Putting them at minimal holding tension will prevent falls, but they make inadvertent releases easier. Ride mildly until your "release" maneuver becomes second nature, then start increasing tension.

Also, Shimano offers "S" and "M" cleats for their SPD pedals. That's "single release" and "multi release". Single release holds better, multi release releases better.

FWIW: I see a lot of "vintage" riders with Shimano SPD pedals on otherwise immaculate all-Nuovo-Record bikes. If it's what keeps you riding, do it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-18-19, 05:18 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
all right, last piece of advice for today : don't bust your knuckles removing those pedals ! we've all done it.

before you start, spray something (PB Blaster, WD40, I use Aero Kroil) into the pedal where it threads into the arm, front and back. Give it 15 minutes to soak in, give it a whack with your wood block or candy hammer.

then get set up. If you can get the bike in a stand that's the way to go. the pedal wrench is offset /clocked in a funny way. What I do is - on the drive side arm, get the wrench situated so you are pushing away from you and then reach thru the frame and hold the other arm as counter pressure. Does this make sense ? Put on your gardening gloves to protect your hands.

Mark Petry

I took a chainring tooth to the knuckle a couple months ago. Perfectly slid in along the bone on he intermediate phalange. Left one hell of a scar, bled crazily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.