Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Needed: A Better Bike Computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 09:07 AM
mitchel

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate and Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Needed: A Better Bike Computer

I own a Specialized Speedzone Pro and have always loved it because it has a large easy-to read display and toggles through easily to show needed info. Also it has the inclinometer function which I really like.
However, it resets after 10 hours and I lose all my data. On long rides, that's a serious problem, because it makes following a cue sheet problematic. After it resets, I have to zero it at every turn.
I need one that will go 48 hours at least without resetting.

What is the best computer out there for readability (large display for old eyes), ease of use, and also has the altitude and inclinometer functions (as well as max speed, average, distance, odometer, temp. etc.)?
Have any of you been using the Garmin 305 Forerunner or Edge?
Old 04-13-07, 09:17 AM
Gunther
Fun begins @ 200k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my VDO MC1.0 in terms of available functions and reliability. Functions include the basics plus climbing, grade (altimeter-based functions), and temp. It also has a couple different odos, one of which can be manually adjusted to a desired value. I zero this one at the start of a brevet; if I get lost (thankfully not yet), I can set to the correct mileage when I return to the route.

I use the wired version to avoid problems with EMI (power lines, HRMs, HID lights, etc.). Its display does NOT have the largest characters around, but I haven't yet had to break out the reading glasses to see what's happening on the display.

GtB
Old 04-13-07, 01:52 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunther
I like my VDO MC1.0 in terms of available functions and reliability. Functions include the basics plus climbing, grade (altimeter-based functions), and temp. It also has a couple different odos, one of which can be manually adjusted to a desired value. I zero this one at the start of a brevet; if I get lost (thankfully not yet), I can set to the correct mileage when I return to the route.

I use the wired version to avoid problems with EMI (power lines, HRMs, HID lights, etc.). Its display does NOT have the largest characters around, but I haven't yet had to break out the reading glasses to see what's happening on the display.

GtB
I have the VDO MC1.0+ and love it. No real problems with the wireless.*
I too like the 'navigator' function - very handy for working with cues.

*I need to keep it 2 feet away from my computer when entering ride data into my log, and I've seen 2 instances when my bike was leaned against a convenience store wall where my speed was climbing into the 50mph range. Other than that its been working fine...
Old 04-13-07, 08:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've always been happy with the Cateye Mity. I currently have a Topeak, which is a pretty good one too, but I'll likely return to a Cateye Mity whenever the Topeak dies or leaps off it's computer mount ... mainly because I've got a spare Cateye Mity in a box right now.
Old 04-16-07, 08:34 AM
mitchel

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate and Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion. Based on your recommendation, I went ahead and ordered a new VDO MC1.0+. I hope I have enough time to learn how to use it before the 400K.

My wife was trying to get me to use the Garmin 305, but the battery life on that GPS just didn't seem long enough for a Rando ride.
Thanks again for all your input.
Old 04-16-07, 12:40 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
I have the VDO MC1.0+ and love it. No real problems with the wireless.*
I too like the 'navigator' function - very handy for working with cues.

*I need to keep it 2 feet away from my computer when entering ride data into my log, and I've seen 2 instances when my bike was leaned against a convenience store wall where my speed was climbing into the 50mph range. Other than that its been working fine...
I tried a wireless VDO and had nothing but trouble. In temperatures below about 60 deg F it would not reliably pick up the signal. New batteries did not help. I've read other complaints about the same problem. What good is a bike computer that doesn't work in cold weather? Do Germans not ride bikes in winter?

I've never been happy with a wireless computer except for a Polar S720i speed sensor. Other than that, it wired, or nothing for me.
Old 04-16-07, 01:04 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supcom
I tried a wireless VDO and had nothing but trouble. In temperatures below about 60 deg F it would not reliably pick up the signal. New batteries did not help. I've read other complaints about the same problem. What good is a bike computer that doesn't work in cold weather? Do Germans not ride bikes in winter?

I've never been happy with a wireless computer except for a Polar S720i speed sensor. Other than that, it wired, or nothing for me.
I've ridden centuries with mine at freezing and below. No problems.