Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses With Interchangeable Lenses: Yay or Nay?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 10:31 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting some sunglasses with 3 or 4 sets of lenses. Seems like the best of both worlds: multiple sets of lenses for multiple conditions, but without the cost of multiple sets of sunglasses.

Now, for those of you who already own, do you think it's worth it? My only concern is that swapping lenses in and out might be a hassle and so I won't bother doing it. Or, the lenses get scratched up in the process of swapping.

I'm willing to spend up to $100 for a pair. Feel free to recommend.
Old 08-08-10, 10:38 PM
JC 911

Bikes: 2010 Felt F1 SL, 2007 Trek Madone, 2007 Klein Q Elite XV, 2006 Lemond Tete de Course, 20099 Salsa Chili Con Cross Team Clif,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go interchangeable; totally worth it. Swapping lenses are pretty easy and only takes like 20 seconds. Depending on the quality of the frames/lenses, you won't have to worry about scratches during swapping.
I would recommend bumping up your budget a bit and go with a pair of Oakleys. You pay more but worth it in the long run.

I have heard good things about Rudy Project so that may be an option.

I had a pair of Nikes prior to getting Oakleys and I will never go back.
Old 08-08-10, 10:43 PM
valleycyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently using Smith Optics sunglasses, and they are great. My only complaint is that there isn't enough ventilation, and they sometimes start to fog when I stop at a light. I like having the options of different lenses for cloudy, sunny, and clear for riding in the dark.
Old 08-08-10, 10:53 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some Oakley Iridium blues, with interchangeable uncolored lens for night/low sunlight. They're nice. I have some Revos, the first company to use NASA coatings lenses, polarized. Nice too. Oakley and Revo were both bought by Luxottica.
Old 08-08-10, 10:54 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely swap lenses but it's nice to have the option. I tried it once on the road and it was a hassle because it was hard to not smudge them. If I knew I'd have two different conditions that one lens couldn't handle then I'd probably go for two glasses. +1 on the Oakleys, the lenses are really clear compared to my pile of $20 ones. No way I'd carry an extra Oakley lense on the road. I'd rather go without than drop a $100 lens on the ground. GL
Old 08-08-10, 11:09 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes... i'm enjoying the oakley interchangeable lenses. when the lenses get scratched up enough i can just replace them @ my LBS. #win.
Old 08-08-10, 11:10 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Yay.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-08-10, 11:13 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have some from Performance Bike I got for about $35. It's not very difficult to swap the lenses. I use the clear for riding to work in the morning (I leave my house when it it still dark) and swap to the sunglasses for the ride home.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-08-10, 11:24 PM
Eclectus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how you guys clean your lenses. I use some dish soap and water, and blot-dry them with a cotton towel. Do not rub them to dry.
Old 08-08-10, 11:33 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Oakley Flak Jackets. The lens are interchangeable and the glasses don't look "abnormal" if you're wearing them when you're not riding.

That said, I rarely swap lens when riding. I just don't want to scratch them carrying them around in a pack. I did get a pair of lens that are photochromic...the brand name is Transitions. They're great for wearing when you think the conditions might change.

Charles

Last edited by chasmm; 08-09-10 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 11:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I bring clear lenses to swap out in case it gets dark or foggy while I'm out. The Oakley Radar lenses come with a bag to keep them in, and I just put them in a jersey pocket.

They get cleaned after each ride with running warm water and soap.
Old 08-08-10, 11:50 PM
RideIt

Bikes: Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the photochromic lenses, that adjust to varying light conditions. I have a pair of Serfas, fairly cheap at $45, and they go from 15% light transmission in bright light up to 50% light transmission. It's great for morning/late afternoon rides when the sun intensity changes quite a bit. Plus I don't have to carry around a spare set of lenses.

However, photochromic lenses are not good for driving, because the U/V light, which causes the lenses to darken, is blocked by your car's windshield, leaving the lenses constantly at their lightest setting

There are a bunch of companies making photochromic, including Smith, Oakley, and Tifosi to name a few.
Old 08-08-10, 11:52 PM
Forza
Con forza e velocità

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep...Oakley FlakJacket XLJ user. Totally, worth it...YMMV.
Old 08-09-10, 12:16 AM
damnpoor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are interchangeable. I never actually change them but having the lens come off is great for cleaning. I've had several pairs crack right in the middle where the one piece lens is thinnest. Right now I'm riding with Serfas sunglasses and I really like them.

https://www.serfas.com/product_details2.asp?ID=669
Old 08-09-10, 12:52 AM
Eclectus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serengetti Transitions darken in the car. I'm not into their reddish color. I have some B&L green lenses. Not into that either. I like gray lenses, especially polarized.
Old 08-09-10, 01:03 AM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by damnpoor
Mine are interchangeable. I never actually change them but having the lens come off is great for cleaning. I've had several pairs crack right in the middle where the one piece lens is thinnest. Right now I'm riding with Serfas sunglasses and I really like them.

https://www.serfas.com/product_details2.asp?ID=669
Serfas look quite nice, loaded with features too.

Hopefully it was another brand that cracked?
Old 08-09-10, 01:31 AM
damnpoor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadandmountain
Serfas look quite nice, loaded with features too.

Hopefully it was another brand that cracked?
Yeah it happened to two other brands but I can't remember the names.

Last edited by damnpoor; 08-09-10 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 03:03 AM
VR4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with Tifosi sunglasses? Some of their models with interchangeable lenses appear to have pretty good ventilation and the price is reasonable ($60 MSRP). I'm tempted to order a pair online but don't know about the quality.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/products/results/search&sport=Cycling|Run&lenstype=interchangeable/
Old 08-09-10, 03:22 AM
92Esquire

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently wearing a set of Tifosi Tyrants on the bike. I've been an Oakley owner for about 15 years, starting with M-Frames (which I still have 2 frames and about 5 lenses) and adding Half Jackets a few years ago. I'm done wearing Oakleys on the bike, I think.

I don't notice any optical difference with the Tifosis, and replacement lenses are $14. I've cracked or scratched two M-Frame lenses (which were old, to be sure) in the last couple months of riding just dealing with the glasses while messing with my helmet (typically at rest stops when I'm gassed and not focused). It's a lot easier to stomach getting a new $14 set of lenses than $75.

Frame quality is not the same - the Oakley moldings are much cleaner, and the frame coatings are much more uniform. Yes, you do get what you pay for - but these glasses (at least for me) live a much harder life than most glasses.
Old 08-09-10, 05:13 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swapping out lenses is pretty easy.
I have Performance and Oakley brand glasses, but if I were buying again, I'd get Tifosi glasses, and they're only about $60.

Old 08-09-10, 06:30 AM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried them, but nearly everyone in my group ride has them, so I assume they are good. Also, they're pcad approved, which is big.
Old 08-09-10, 06:32 AM
ACE77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my oakley radars and changing lenses in covenient and easy
Old 08-09-10, 06:53 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i picked up some Oakley Jawbones this year with the two sets of lens. i was never a big fan of swapping out lens. didnt want to scratch or drop or lose them. while i have dropped them and they do have a couple scratches, which i dont notice while riding, i am a big fan. on overcast days the yellow lens can really clear up the view. i find it nice when racing. later.
Old 08-09-10, 07:21 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Tifosi Slips are my main sunglasses and had both the dark lenses (brown and uh...kind of purple-ish) broke after quite a bit of use...but not a problem since replacements are available...except I couldn't find the purple-ish ones...so I bought 2 browns which address 98% of my use. I'll swap to yellow or clear if I'm jogging at dusk, but I'm a morning weekend warrior on the bike, so it's the dark lenses for me.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-09-10, 08:04 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.

If you plan on carrying a change of lens with you then I would recommend a) buying a cheap pair so you're not worrying too much about the extra lens, and b) single piece lens rather than two piece lenses.

For day rides I use my Oakley Ms or Radars.

For varying light/ full day rides I have Uxex Crow Pros and a cheap pair I bought from PBK they both work really well. My evening ride is often into the sunset and then back in the near dark.

rollin's rule of sunglasses states that the cheaper the pair of sunglasses, the less chance there is of you, sitting on them, crashing when you're wearing them, loosing them etc. *

* results may vary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.