Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anything Wrong With You? (Physical Health)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anything Wrong With You? (Physical Health)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 04:52 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad food allergies that trigger asthma and congest me to the point I can't breath in some case. Hypothyroidism, with symptoms when not controlled of no energy, anemia, high cholesterol and gain weight quickly, I gained a pound a week for 5 month until it was properly diagnosed.

So between the weight gain, low energy, hard to breath and low red blood cell count, I have to be careful or I don't ride.
Old 08-02-13, 05:16 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
Stage 4 colorectal cancer, going on 5 years. During that time, despite 5 major surgeries (including 3 lung ops and half a lung removed) and more chemo than I care to think about, I've logged more than 9,500 miles on my bike. Still on chemo; still riding as much as I have time for.

I'm doing very well, all things considered, and I credit cycling for much of that.
Old 08-02-13, 05:20 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm prediabetic with gastroparesis. Probably due to past dietary habits of 'carb binging' which slowly damaged my beta cells over time (best guess) ... so if you want to stop from being like me, don't go eating 2 large dairy queen blizzards in a 30 minute time period or other assorted high carb binging on a regular basis... spread the carbs out so that the pancreas can deal with them without any sudden spikes on blood sugar. Elevated blood sugars damage beta cells and that comes from big meals... eat more frequent, smaller meals if they are high in carbs.
Old 08-03-13, 10:03 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Lord, I'm not good. But some of you got me beat. God bless us all for trying to overcome these obsticles.

I've had a heart attack last year. Anterior decending artery 99% blocked. 2 busted up knees. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Arthritis in neck, back, hands, knees and feet. Tendonitis off and on all my life. I had my nose utterly destroyed in an auto accident at 12. Broken left ankle at that time. Damaged rotator cuffs in both shoulders from a fall on ice. Punctured cornia in left eye. Alergies out the gazzo since birth. Skin irritation issues for over 5 years. And lastly a lifelong asthmatic.

I am very glad to still be here. I ride 3 to 4 times a week. I'm getting stronger and fitter. My Doc is extatic on my progress. I've lost over 30 pounds. Would like to loose another 10. But it's being stubborn. Biking has helped the knee pain and the back pain I've lived with for decades.

I wish all of you with health issues a speedy recovery. And good health.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-19-13, 10:40 PM
red ice

Bikes: hybrid commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 34yrs old and had a stroke last year. Now on maintenance meds ( warfarin, atorvastatin and captopril) probably because of heavy smoking for 10+ years.Doc says I have a slow Heart Rate with Arrythmia (resting @ 40bpm, sleeping @ 32bpm). I've been cycling since the 90s but stopped for 3 years while I was working abroad. Now I've been reconditioning myself to go back to bike commuting. Hopefully, I can reduce the risk of my heart going to slow.
Old 11-20-13, 08:32 AM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have fibromyalgia so at times physical exertion, especially hills, can be painful. Oddly enough my fibro has improved dramatically the more I exercise and cycle. I have a fairly extensive supplement/drug regimen, but it allows me to be active.

For those with bad seasonal allergies, I highly recommend immunotherapy.
Old 11-20-13, 09:42 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
injured my lower back doing crossfit in early october. been mostly off the bike and doing PT to stretch my muscles and strengthen my core since then. big bummer. just about done with PT though.
Old 11-20-13, 10:15 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
"Coronary.

FWIW, I have no family history, am not / was not overweight, and had a cholesterol reading of 176 at the time. It stymied the doctors (they couldn't find it) at first, but stress tests showed something was not right. I'm just happy to be here."

Well, OK, if we can mention stents, I could add my own three in two coronary arteries. But they've put me back into good heart health. My risks were genetic, too much ice cream after a healthy meal, and stress.

Triple vessel blockage coronary. 2 stents. 1 vessel ballooned.

I ate crap because I was riding lots. Exercise does not cancel out the eating crap.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-20-13, 10:30 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I lost my right hamstring (bicep femoris) to cancer. Thankfully, I can still ride without it.
Old 11-20-13, 03:50 PM
mgwilder

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, 2012 Jamis Supernova

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Coronary Artery Disease. 2 vessels completely occluded including my LAD, the others have multiple large blockages. I'm now on the Fuhrman Nutritarian diet, dropped 30 lbs, and my LDL is at 62. I'm about to start a 3 month Dr. Ornish program in hopes of reversing without surgery (quintuple bypass).

At this point I'm on my bike and lifting weights 7 days a week. My only limitation is a max HR of 130bpm, which isn't much.
Old 11-20-13, 11:48 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Everybody gets knocked down ....... how quick are you going to get up

Old 11-21-13, 09:07 AM
plpete

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having something wrong with me actually got me on a bike! Was diagnosed with severe Ulcerative Colitis. At my worst I was 125lbs (from 165lbs) and taking in multiple bags of blood and very anemic at the ICU. Have been in remission for several years now with only one minor flare up. Right now I'm on Remicade via iv every 8 weeks so it's not too bad. Took a while to figure out what works food wise and eating on the bike but this year I rode more miles than ever. I do believe that cycling helped me with the remission and the stress of being sick.
Old 11-21-13, 10:06 AM
casjr2171

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert (2014) and Specialized Allez (2013)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A-fib is my only problem (other than being 67). Or rather, the MEDS I take for A-fib. I take Bystolic which controls heart rate (as well as bp) which means when I really crank hard, i.e. climbs, the Bystolic "panics" and thinks I am going into tachycardia. It then proceeds to hold my HR down to around 85 or 90 beats per min. Not conducive for hill climbing. It's a pain in the butt but I am grateful to be able to ride.
Old 11-22-13, 09:26 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
severe epilepsy, after developing viral encephalitis.
as in two three + seizures a day if I dont eat or take my meds right
memory is shot
few other fun things.
Old 11-22-13, 10:26 AM
fanfugutastic

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Red, 1987 Miyata 912(RIP for now), 2009 Kona Kula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plpete
Having something wrong with me actually got me on a bike! Was diagnosed with severe Ulcerative Colitis. At my worst I was 125lbs (from 165lbs) and taking in multiple bags of blood and very anemic at the ICU. Have been in remission for several years now with only one minor flare up. Right now I'm on Remicade via iv every 8 weeks so it's not too bad. Took a while to figure out what works food wise and eating on the bike but this year I rode more miles than ever. I do believe that cycling helped me with the remission and the stress of being sick.
I have Crohn's, which is nearly the same. Stress is the largest trigger for me. I've been in remission(med free) for several years now and I also attribute it to the stress relief & "meditation" that I receive whilst cycling. Good on you for getting it under control and not letting it control you as much!
Old 11-22-13, 11:17 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have chronic weekly migraines after having brain surgery... riding makes the minor ones better along with tea... a couple doses of HTFU helps too. The fetal migraines (ones that make me crawl into a ball with my eyes shut and hand clamped over my ear) don't really improve with riding... I just wait those out while crying in the dark.
Old 11-22-13, 04:43 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by waanfiride
Does anyone here have any serious medical conditions? (other than being addicted to cycling) How does it affect your participation in cycling?

I've only got one ventricle, 21 years, 4 surgeries later and I'm somewhat normal.

So, BF- what's wrong with you?

At 47, I've got normal stuff going wrong, nothing serious.
I work in a hospital that specializes in congenital heart disease, and I work directly with patients from a few hours old to 70+ years of age. I know of the challenges that you face, but I also know how well many people do.
Suddenly, my neck, back & feet feel fine.

Just out of curiosity, what was your original diagnosis, and do you now have a Fontan?
Old 11-22-13, 05:53 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
you know, none of us can complain really.

Old 11-23-13, 02:35 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coronary Artery disease, cardiac arrest in June 2010 while on the operating table for a bone spur removal..........brought back to life with hydrotherapy and a great group of Doctors, since the one stent, no damage to my heart, always worry about taking a spill somewhere remote, blood thinners will keep you bleeding......I ride when I can, work on bikes with my local Co op, kinda addicted!
Old 11-23-13, 09:16 PM
Canadian_giant

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depression and anxiety led me to biking. 3 years later I am feeling fantastic. I think my bike saved my life!
Old 11-23-13, 09:27 PM
Orvis

Bikes: Eddy Merckx road bike, Ross track bike (Tom Kellogg signature, ser# 001 :stolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feb. 20th. Of last year fractured my left hip which I did not know for @ 4 months. Pain was just crazy. Once I had an MRI and figured it out, had to rehab. Made myself sit on my bike (on the trainer) to watch t.v. After 6 months off the bike, hurt like hell. Sat and just cried at times, Dr. said that I prob. Would not be able to ride unless it was a recumbent, so much for that. I am back in the saddle, just a bit slower.
Old 11-23-13, 09:29 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Was diagnosed in 2003 with Addison's Disease (adrenal insufficiency) after having severe fatigue and then collapsed. I take hydrocortisone to replace the cortisol that my adrenal glands don't produce. I have to take extra on a hard ride or I get really fatigued. Also have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. I probably have CAD because a scan showed high amounts of calcium in my arteries and high LDL but I have no symptoms and see a cardiologist. Still I can keep up on the bike with pretty much anybody my age but I don't care to ride competitively any more because I don't need the extra stress on my body.
Old 11-26-13, 09:44 PM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PSA has been above normal after several blood tests, prostate biopsy done last week, got result today thank god its negative. What a relief.
Old 11-27-13, 05:28 AM
BR46

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diabetic
Old 11-27-13, 06:55 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm all ****ed up and I'm the healthiest person here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.