Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My new purchase - 1999 Lemond Nevada City

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 08:49 PM
CZ75

Bikes: Derosa. Colnago. Fuji. Ventana.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I picked up a 1999 Lemond Nevada City today for 100.00. All Sora 8 speed. The bike has sat for years and needs paint repair from dings, scratches and SEVERE top tube underside cable rub where paint is all gone and TLC in gobs. I can post pics later. I started to disassemble and found it in good mechanical shape. Any suggestions how to do the paint work? (Mods -If this is incorrect forum, please forgive my ignorance and relocate.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-24, 09:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I mean you could sand it and use Spray.bike if you really want to put a bunch of time and money towards it but Sora is close to the bottom of Shimano's range and 8 speed is old school stuff from the 80s and early 90s. I would probably ride it as is and go down to your local nail salon and see if you can get some matching nail polish (which is what we use for touch up paint). If it is one with higher end tubing like 853 then it maybe more worth it to you to modernize and put some decent components on it but if it is kind of generic chromoly or 520 I would just ride it as is have fun on it have a bike you can beat up a little and care less about.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-06-24, 09:34 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I can not remember Nevada City model until after 2000, and it was not a collector model so you might think about a tough power coating for a lot less money for that Reynolds 853 frame with some mix steel as I recall. It would hold up far better for that nice ride and you will not have the expense of trying to recreate something at the lower end of the Le Mond line, decals may be hard or I suspect impossible to find ready made.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-07-24, 07:16 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
As long as the frame is straight that is a killer deal.
FYI: picked up an '01 Zurich last year and it is my current favorite.
Old 03-07-24, 07:41 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
My records, taken from the Trek Archive, indicate the Nevada City model existed in 2001 & 2002. The main triangle was 853 Designer Select and the stays are 525 Designer Select. Designer Select, my understanding, is a little heavier wall thickness versions of the higher end/thinner 853 used in the Zurich, Buenos Aires, Maillot Jaune..etc. Designer Select 853 was used in the Poprad models..and owning two of those I can attest to the great ride it offers.

A Nevada City, for $100, if it's in sound physical and mechanical condition is a great deal. As far as 8-speed and Sora..yes it's old school, but it certainly isn't junk. Well adjusted Sora components work perfectly fine. I have bikes with Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Tiagra, Sora, Tourney, and MicroShift and they all work great. Touch them and they shift..what else is needed? Yes the higher end stuff is lighter in weight..though anyone would be hard-pressed to feel a difference during a ride. 8-speed..perfectly fine for most riding. Nevada City bikes were fitted with a triple crank, if memory serves.

Regarding paint..it depends on how far you want to go(how much time and money you're willing to spend). The Spray.Bike route is popular, easy, fairly inexpensive(?) and..you get what you pay for as it can look great (from a distance), but it isn't very wear resistant. Big Box store spray paints can look nice, but again..wear resistance is lacking. Powder Coating can be inexpensive, wears well, but appearance..meh..(subjective..some think it looks great)..unless you go for higher end powder paints. The best path is auto spray paints with a 2K clearcoat. This can cost $700+ to have someone do it for you, or you can do it yourself for about $150. Search the Frame Building forum for "painting" and you'll find some good threads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...g-newbies.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...clear-coat.htm
l

Last edited by fishboat; 03-07-24 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add links
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-07-24, 08:32 AM
CZ75

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you. It is one of the 853 models. I have not ridden it yet to determine if I will keep it. It does have a look to it for me that says kind of old school. Yes, Sora, is entry level equipment but I have not heard bad things about it.

Regards,

Last edited by CZ75; 03-07-24 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-07-24, 08:35 AM
CZ75

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
My records, taken from the Trek Archive, indicate the Nevada City model existed in 2001 & 2002. The main triangle was 853 Designer Select and the stays are 525 Designer Select. Designer Select, my understanding, is a little heavier wall thickness versions of the higher end/thinner 853 used in the Zurich, Buenos Aires, Maillot Jaune..etc. Designer Select 853 was used in the Poprad models..and owning two of those I can attest to the great ride it offers.

A Nevada City, for $100, if it's in sound physical and mechanical condition is a great deal. As far as 8-speed and Sora..yes it's old school, but it certainly isn't junk. Well adjusted Sora components work perfectly fine. I have bikes with Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Tiagra, Sora, Tourney, and MicroShift and they all work great. Touch them and they shift..what else is needed? Yes the higher end stuff is lighter in weight..though anyone would be hard-pressed to feel a difference during a ride. 8-speed..perfectly fine for most riding. Nevada City bikes were fitted with a triple crank, if memory serves.

Regarding paint..it depends on how far you want to go(how much time and money you're willing to spend). The Spray.Bike route is popular, easy, fairly inexpensive(?) and..you get what you pay for as it can look great (from a distance), but it isn't very wear resistant. Big Box store spray paints can look nice, but again..wear resistance is lacking. Powder Coating can be inexpensive, wears well, but appearance..meh..(subjective..some think it looks great)..unless you go for higher end powder paints. The best path is auto spray paints with a 2K clearcoat. This can cost $700+ to have someone do it for you, or you can do it yourself for about $150. Search the Frame Building forum for "painting" and you'll find some good threads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...g-newbies.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...clear-coat.htm
l
I agree. I have had high end bikes powder coated and also painted by a professional. Paint looks better but is 4x the price. Well, where I live.

Thank you - regards.