Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

a simple battery wiring question.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 03:41 AM
brundle_fly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would this be correct:

If I wire two 7.2v 4Ah Nimh batteries together(+'s and -'s) in series? I'd get 14.4v 8ah
Also,will I need a 7.2 charger or 14.4

Last edited by brundle_fly; 01-12-07 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-12-07, 05:09 AM
sherpa93

Bikes: 1993 Dorado sherpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple battery wiring Answer
Series wiring + to - will double voltage

Parallel wiring - to - and + to + double amps

Cant have both sorry.

Battery charging works on impedance. For instance to charge a
12 volt battery you need at least 12.1v usually slightly above
battery voltage (14-18v as in autos).

Other than that battery chargers are designed to kick out certain amps
to not overcharge/overheat a pack rated at given mAh.

More to it but thats the short skinny version.
Good luck on your project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7.2v 4000mAh.jpg (37.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-12-07, 05:22 AM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for that.That diagram clears it all up.I suppose 14.4v 8ah batteries are pretty expensive if it's possible to get one that is?I may just stick with a 7ah SLA if it's going to be the most cost effective way
Old 01-12-07, 06:06 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brundle_fly
Thanks a lot for that.That diagram clears it all up.I suppose 14.4v 8ah batteries are pretty expensive if it's possible to get one that is?I may just stick with a 7ah SLA if it's going to be the most cost effective way

What kind of light will you be using this 8ah pack with ?
Old 01-12-07, 06:12 AM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to use a 20w,or maybe up to 35w Mr-16 Masterline depending on brightness.
I hooked a 35w up to my car battery and it seemed more than ample.
Do you use 24 or 12 degree beam for road purposes.This one I've got is 36 and throws a pretty wide beam

Last edited by brundle_fly; 01-12-07 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-12-07, 08:40 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have the stock (20 watt) bulb that comes in the garden lamp from home depot ($ 9.99) (malibu?)

I am using a small 5Ah LAB

I would like to get the 12 degree beam but I don't know the part #.

Originally looks like this:

Last edited by fordfasterr; 01-12-07 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-12-07, 08:45 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brundle_fly
Would this be correct:

If I wire two 7.2v 4Ah Nimh batteries together(+'s and -'s) in series? I'd get 14.4v 8ah
Also,will I need a 7.2 charger or 14.4
You will get a 14.4V battery with a capacity of 4Ah. The capacity does not increase because when you put the batteries in series, you are combining them to produce a larger EMF (electromotive force), rather than to produce a prolong their life. If you put them in PARALLEL, the voltage will be 7.2V, but the two batteries will "share" the task of generating current, so they will be able to produce a given current for twice as long. (You can read up on Kirchoff's Circuit Laws for the details.)

You can charge them with a 7.2V charger in parallel, or a 14.4V charger in series. If you don't want to remove them from the series circuit in order to charge them, then go with the 14.4V charger.
Old 01-12-07, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
You will get a 14.4V battery with a capacity of 4Ah. The capacity does not increase because when you put the batteries in series, you are combining them to produce a larger EMF (electromotive force), rather than to produce a prolong their life. If you put them in PARALLEL, the voltage will be 7.2V, but the two batteries will "share" the task of generating current, so they will be able to produce a given current for twice as long. (You can read up on Kirchoff's Circuit Laws for the details.)

You can charge them with a 7.2V charger in parallel, or a 14.4V charger in series. If you don't want to remove them from the series circuit in order to charge them, then go with the 14.4V charger.
One thing to consider, however is that with the lower current draw, a 20W bulb on a 14.4V system and a 4 Ah battery should give you 2.9 hours of burn time, ideally. Two batteries running a 7.2V system in parallel will give you the same burn time. If you need an 8 Ah battery, you could run 2 each of the 7.2 in series and then 2 of those packs in parallel.

I've done what you want to do brundle-fly. Here is the 14.4V system and wiring

The negative of one pack is connected via a jumper to the positive of the other pack.

If you want to run them in parallel you can do this

For a charger, I use a Maha C777 Plus. It's not cheap but it automatically adjust the voltage to charge the system. I can charge a 14.4V system on it, unplug the battery and charge a 7.2 V system without doing anything to the charger.

Finally, for the bulbs, a 24 degree bulb is probably the widest you want to go. A 24 degree bulb will give you a pool of light that does well for illumination of the ground directly in front of your wheel. A 12 degree spot will put a beam that highlights stuff further out. The beam pattern on the 24 is probably 10 feet wide at 10' in front of you wheel. The 12 degree has a beam pattern of around 4 feet at 10' in front of your bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-12-07, 11:04 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
One thing to consider, however is that with the lower current draw, a 20W bulb on a 14.4V system and a 4 Ah battery should give you 2.9 hours of burn time, ideally. Two batteries running a 7.2V system in parallel will give you the same burn time. If you need an 8 Ah battery, you could run 2 each of the 7.2 in series and then 2 of those packs in parallel.
Indeed! Two 7.2V batteries in series will of course have twice the ENERGY capacity of a single 7.2V bulb. But the current capacity will be the same. It's rather misleading to have the capacity of batteries labeled in "A.h" rather than, say, "Joules"... since of course a 9V/500mAh battery holds more ENERGY than a 1.5V/2500mAh battery. But I suppose it is convenient, since most devices need a specific supply voltage, and so you can simply compare the current capacities of different batteries.

Also don't forget that a "20W" bulb may not actually draw the same power at 14.4V as at 7.2V! That's to say, if it draws 1A at 7.2V, it doesn't necessarily draw 0.5A at 14.4V. The efficiency of the bulb may vary with the supply voltage as well... depends a lot on the particular light technology.
Old 01-13-07, 10:50 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 10 degree beam angle from a 50 watt MR16 bulb. Produced by Sylvania The Malibu type garden lights I have seen in several local stores are mostly plastic and need to be fair to middling large so they have enough surface area to shed waste heat. Plastic holders are ok for weaker bulbs.