Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

WalMart Tires any good?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

WalMart Tires any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 07:45 PM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should get the Bell tires and do a long term ride review on them just for the Wal-Mart haters
Old 09-05-07, 08:16 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
They've stood up to the steely gaze of lawyers enough to be sold world wide in Walmarts. I would expect they would be a mid quality tire with middle of the road preformance, and will be able to handle light duty for at least a year or so.
Old 09-05-07, 08:47 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is where I am with the WalMart tire thing;

For the price of a Walmart foldable (Bell) at $15.00, you can get a better tire from most of the on-line bike parts places. Keep your eyes on www.nashbar.com

Often, you can get a pretty good tire on sale, sometimes including shipping for $15.00.

My take is that Walmart's buyers goofed on choosing the higher priced Bell foldable tires. All the other big-box stores have the traditional tires for about $7.00 and they do the trick just as well or, IMO better than a Bell foldable.

You know, as far as tires go, just about any tire will work - cheap, old, patched, whatever. However, tires have an incredibly important impact on your riding enjoyment, efficiency, and performance. When you try a really nice tire - designed for a specific need you are looking for, you will quickly appreciate a fine tire.

You can make a poor bicycle seem more like an expensive bicycle just by putting good tires on it. Of all the components you can add to a bicycle and all the money you can put into your machine, none have as much an impact on your ride as the tires.

If you really need new tires, you are lucky because it only happens once every couple of years or more. Take this opportunity to treat yourself to the best tires you can possibly afford. You will long remember the beauty of the ride and soon forget what you paid for it.

Last edited by mike; 09-05-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 10:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I can usually find the Bell "bike path" tires for $8-10 at my local dept. store. They're a 26x1.75.
I thought they were worth the money. Absolutely no problems. I "upgraded" to some skinnier street slicks, so the Bell's have been on my brothers bike for the last year. He only rides 2-3 miles per day, but hasn't had any problems.
Old 09-06-07, 06:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by dwainedibbly
My previous comments were directed towards mass-merchandisers in general, not just Wal-Mart. Support your LBS if you can.
Good, that's what I thought, and I agree. But I find it very difficult to support my LBS. They stock hardly anything I need, though. I have them cut spokes for me, and I occasionally buy a tire, inner tube or some tool, but nine out of ten times they don't have the parts I have the most trouble with --dynamo lighting, internally geared hubs, fenders, whatever. So I'm buying stuff on the internet all the time, and not just from Nashbar. But I'm always ordering something from Nashbar rather than supporting my LBS... and the LBS hates Nashbar.

So: okay! I won't buy my self-sealing innertubes from Wal*Mart or Target, ever again! But ... what about Nashbar?
Old 09-06-07, 08:12 AM
whatsmyname

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
Wal-Mart single-handedly defines a whole new low in corporate ethics and morals.
That's not true at all - Wal-Mart has a reputation among SE China customs officers for never, ever paying a bribe to have their stuff expedited through customs, and in that respect it is unique. Meanwhile "practically" every other corporation (including one of those named on this thread, whose in-country employee is responsible for this anecdote) pays massive facilitation payments every month. It may well be that Wal-Mart's anti-corruption policy is more to do with saving money than ethics, but in any case paying those bribes is worse than not paying them, and Wal-Mart is a long way from the worst offender.

I'm surprised you also believe that Wal-Mart is actually worse than tobacco companies (whose products actually kill their users, who suppressed medical research and lied about it, and who propped up undemocratic regimes by being complicit in smuggling) or oil companies (for huge environmental damage and sustaining corruption here and abroad).

Wal-Mart is a terrible capitalist institution, and epitomizes some of the worst of globalization, but they're not the worst, just the most visible. Ten years ago it was fashionable to whip McDonald's (rightly). Maybe in another ten years we'll get around to Apple.
Old 09-06-07, 10:33 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
If you really need new tires, you are lucky because it only happens once every couple of years or more. Take this opportunity to treat yourself to the best tires you can possibly afford. You will long remember the beauty of the ride and soon forget what you paid for it.
You don't ride enough!

I've replaced mine three times since June 1st, 2006. (Well.. that DOESN'T include the piece o' crap I got at the LBS)... I got pretty good mileage out of those tires, too! (The least I got was 2500 miles out of one of them... must have been from a bad batch)

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I normally use the Forte gt2/k tires, though I've got the Forte 35mm Cross tires on there right now (with just over 2,700 miles at the moment... they came on the bike... getting ready to put some narrower tires on)
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-06-07, 11:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by whatsmyname
Maybe in another ten years we'll get around to Apple.
Maybe sooner if Steve Jobs takes the media flacks off his payroll.
Old 09-06-07, 01:33 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Here is where I am with the WalMart tire thing;

For the price of a Walmart foldable (Bell) at $15.00, you can get a better tire from most of the on-line bike parts places. Keep your eyes on www.nashbar.com

Often, you can get a pretty good tire on sale, sometimes including shipping for $15.00.

My take is that Walmart's buyers goofed on choosing the higher priced Bell foldable tires. All the other big-box stores have the traditional tires for about $7.00 and they do the trick just as well or, IMO better than a Bell foldable.

You know, as far as tires go, just about any tire will work - cheap, old, patched, whatever. However, tires have an incredibly important impact on your riding enjoyment, efficiency, and performance. When you try a really nice tire - designed for a specific need you are looking for, you will quickly appreciate a fine tire.

You can make a poor bicycle seem more like an expensive bicycle just by putting good tires on it. Of all the components you can add to a bicycle and all the money you can put into your machine, none have as much an impact on your ride as the tires.

FTW!!!
Old 09-06-07, 01:46 PM
whatsmyname

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfcrossrider
FTW!!!
Free the weed?
**** the world?
Flee this wingding?
Freak the weave?
Old 09-06-07, 07:54 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whatsmyname
Free the weed?
**** the world?
Flee this wingding?
Freak the weave?
for the win
Old 09-06-07, 08:52 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a kevlar-belted bontrager race lite tire and I was not impressed. The rubber separated from the casing long, long before i would have worn the rubber through. I also had one nail puncture and a substantial number of punctures from small shards of glass and pieces of wire. Mind you, I didn't have quite as many flats as I would have expected had I used a regular (no kevlar casing) road tire.
Old 09-06-07, 09:44 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
I use the Bontrager Race Lites. I recently replaced the rear one after about two years of riding. Not one flat. But they have been chewed up and gouged pretty bad over time from rough road and debris. While it still holds air pressure, the rear tire started to delaminate so I replaced it. How long they will last on smoother roads I have no idea, but going from 12 flats a year to zero is pretty good. If you got some at $10 per tire, that's very good. Down side is that they are the most difficult tires to put on I ever did. 32's aren't too tough though.
Correction, make that one flat. Thanks a lot guys for not warning me about tempting fate. I'm not responding to any more tire posts.
Old 09-06-07, 09:46 PM
mtnbk3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
duh, oh man, sorry...too much in a road state of mind
i have two slick bell tires and a 1.9 front tire, they are a pain to get off the tire
Old 09-06-07, 10:24 PM
gosmsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
i'm a school teacher as well, and i don't think public schools, police or the military "suck". my guess is that you did not watch the video. walmart is not your average "blood-sucking villain". they are the most despicable company on the face of the earth. if you like to give your money to a company that makes it a point to ruin people's lives (watch the video to learn how the deliberately try to destroy lives) then go ahead and buy the tires. just remember, you get what you pay and in this case you would be buying a poorly made chinese tire with a bell label that costs less than a dollar to make in a factory with terrible labor conditions and no pollution standards, marked up over 1000% and sold to an individual who has deluded himself into thinking that the word "kevlar" makes it good and if he didn't buy it then someone else would so that makes it okay. why don't you think about the children you teach and the world you want them to grow up in and the example you are setting.

Not surprised your a teacher.

News to liberal D bag. He asked you to stick to the topic so why dont you just do it.
Old 09-06-07, 10:39 PM
Lazerus_Shade

Bikes: Giant Rincon 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the general answer on this is if you have to question the quality on every thing you buy at a specific place then it is probally for a reason. I for one would avoid purchasing anything from any store with as bad a reputation as wal mart. At any rate when i comes right down to it the best way to determine if you are buying from the right place is to ask them this question. If the can't answer or the employee looks uncomfortable in asnwering they have said more than words can tell. If you are not confident in the info that employee gives you then chances are good there is something wrong with the tire.
Old 09-06-07, 10:56 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gosmsgo
Not surprised your a teacher.

News to liberal D bag. He asked you to stick to the topic so why dont you just do it.
Gosmsgo, this is a good start, but you need to develop your ideas. You argue that Sizzle-Chest is a liberal ****** bag. Now, you need to support that claim with some evidence. There are also a number of mechanical errors and sentence fragments that you need to address. Please redo. D-
Old 09-06-07, 11:12 PM
gosmsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-06-07, 11:32 PM
sherpa93

Bikes: 1993 Dorado sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats a Walmart?
Old 09-07-07, 04:40 AM
Pepper Grinder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of 27" x 1.25" Bell tires from Walmart on my bicycle right now. I've used them for a few weeks, no problems.

Keep in mind I'm a cheap ******* riding a cheap hi-ten steel road bike with rusty components, so my idea of 'no problems' might not be yours.

The tire works for me, it's that simple.
Old 09-07-07, 04:54 AM
tt1106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the same ones from Wal-mart, despite the fact that it is everything wrong with our society. So far, no problems. I have a bunch of trainer mileage on them and some road time. They haven't been off road except for gravel. For the money, they perform like you'd expect. They're noisy, like MTB tires, but a pretty smooth ride.
Not to pile on, but I find NOTHING wrong with Wal-mart. Yes, they force little guys out of business, yes they don't pay their employees full benefits.
That's the beauty of capitalism.
Look around, most American cars aren't even American. Is that the fault of cheap competitors or the high cost of doing business in this country.
our society is full of greed, I find it remarkeable that people single out Wal-mart as some kind of landmark of everything that's wrong with society.
What's wrong with society is our greed and lust for a good deal and consumables.
Ps. What's wrong with this country is REALLY our elected officials and our lack of faith in them.
Wal-mart is an easy target, but the documentary didn't mention the millions of dollars Wal-mart gives to charities and local communities each year.
Oh well, Ride on.
Old 09-07-07, 08:35 AM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fattyfatskinny

Keep in mind I'm a cheap ******* riding a cheap hi-ten steel road bike with rusty components, so my idea of 'no problems' might not be yours.

This has to be the best quote I have seen in a while, permission the use it for my sig line? haha
Old 09-07-07, 08:44 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar has some cheap tires that I've used for commuting and they have been excellent.

I got Kevlar belted IRC Metro's in both 26" x 1.5" amd 2.0" for less than $15 each.
Old 09-07-07, 09:42 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I use MAXXIS Hookworms, kinda big, 26x2.5, but they last forever! Ive had mine for about two years and I swear they show no wear! I use them because they can take the abuse of riding through pothole in an emergency, and they absorb alot of the pressure when coming off high curbs and such, I dont know how they would perform in the winter as I have yet to venture into that realm, not to mention that they are a bigger tire and the have practically no tread for the snow, Ive been told that a thin tire with good tread is a must for winter riding, but, in defense of the "practically no tread" statement, I can tell you they have way more than enough grip for riding dry or wet in the non winter months I paid $40.00 each tire! but heres a link to a spot where they sell the same darn tire for $29.00 each! https://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/148-Tires.aspx
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 09-07-07, 11:03 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Nashbar has some cheap tires that I've used for commuting and they have been excellent.

I got Kevlar belted IRC Metro's in both 26" x 1.5" amd 2.0" for less than $15 each.
These are great tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.