Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The daily haul check-in

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The daily haul check-in

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 10:06 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went to the Army/Navy and got a couple tarps to make an awning on my patio, would have stopped and got a gal of milk but did not dare leave my cargo un-attended while in grocery store.

I am thinking I need a cargo thing with a locking lid, plastic, something that would work with me Nashbar trailer.
Old 05-16-08, 10:38 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I carried lots of booze home from the liquor store today. There's a potluck BBQ tomorrow, and since I seem to be one of the more financially well-off of the invitees, I got to buy the vodka...
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-16-08, 11:04 PM
m5nardi
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Bianch Lupo, Wyatt Street King, Schwinn Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we just finished moving to a new house I thought I'd try a run to my favorite LBS from the new place. A set of pedals, 2 tires, 4 tubes, 2 bells, a brake cable, QR springs, loads of stainless nuts and bolts and my trailer hitch. On the way home I picked up a gallon of ice cream, to soothe my disappointment that my trailer won't fit on a BOB hitch.

Oh yeah, and the new trip to the LBS is shorter! I miss the old scenic route, but not the big hill in the middle.
Old 05-17-08, 12:27 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just bought a new pannier - at Zellers of all places. $15 - CCM (a brand that leaves a bad taste in my mouth given the quality of their bikes in the last two decades) ... I strapped it on the bike and amazingly it swallowed everything I had on me and bought, and had a lot of room for more. This includes it's original packaging, my messenger bag I had on me, several 2-litre bottles of pop, some groceries, a six pack of cans and a 20oz bottle of rye from the liquor store. It also fit my lock and chains, bungie cords (I didn't plan to have/buy the bag - but that price? good deal...)

I'm going to take it for my next grocery run. I was using two side bags on the rack, but this adds more trunk space on the top and makes it a single bag instead of two to remove, with a huge amount of space. Granted it probably won't last more than a season since it's CCM, but at $15 who can argue?

I had planned to stop at another store for a few small things, but once I had a six pack and a bottle of rye in the bags, I didn't feel like detaching them or leaving them untended. My booze, damnit.
Old 05-17-08, 04:53 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 case of beer
2 bags frozen chicken
1/2 gallon milk
cheese
frozen pizza

Had to improvise with the belt for lack of a 4th bungee. I also bought the beer at a gas station just across from my apartment at the end of the MUP. I can only imagine what the drivers were thinking as I strapped it down.
Old 05-17-08, 07:18 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Today:

6-pack of toilet paper
Head of lettuce
Peanut butter
Lunch meat
Cereal
4 loaves of bread
3 gallons of milk

Along with what I always carry on this bike:

2 spare inner tubes
Multi-tool
2 tire levers
Pump
Various bungees and a ratchet strap
A roll of filament tape
Cable lock
Old 05-17-08, 08:47 PM
sherpa93

Bikes: 1993 Dorado sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down to Knoxville with the weekly load... 7 years now. Clockwork.
Attached Images