Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Flat bar to drop bar conversion Help please

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Flat bar to drop bar conversion Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 03:57 PM
Masonchat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I think 4700 are also cable actuated. Hydraulic levers are 4720 or 4725: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec
thanks csport 👍 saved me there
Old 11-08-23, 05:57 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonchat
Hi I have a giant fastroad advanced 1, love the bike but I think the time has come to move to drop bar,
Masonchat.....don't do it! You have a nice flat-bar bike that's set up as one......and You love it
If you think you want drops get a used bike to test the waters. It could be a costly conversion to find out your Fastroad isn't suitable for drops.
I recently converted a Giant roadbike that I've had since 2001 from drops to flat-bar and my 63yo back has thanked me every ride since.....

Last edited by Speedway2; 11-08-23 at 06:01 PM. Reason: pics added
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-08-23, 06:06 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Masonchat.....don't do it! You have a nice flat-bar bike that's set up as one......and You love it
If you think you want drops get a used bike to test the waters. It could be a costly conversion to find out your Fastroad isn't suitable for drops.
I recently converted a Giant roadbike that I've had since 2001 from drops to flat-bar and my 63yo back has thanked me every ride since.....

thanks speedway , lot of food for thought in the thread , but I'll tell you one thing regardless of what I decide, it's definitely saved me from buying something that's completely incomparable at the very least
Old 11-10-23, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
If I got these shifters and a 10 speed cassette, would that do the trick?
or I could get the full set ??
If you do buy those you will screw yourself out of any warranty as whatever site that is I have extreme doubts they are an authorized Shimano dealer and I would question if they are even genuine Shimano parts in the first place.
Old 11-11-23, 08:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
It could be a costly conversion to find out your Fastroad isn't suitable for drops.
I see this type of comment often when someone is asking questions about drop-bar conversions. Doing a DB conversion doesn't have to be an "invest a bunch of money and time and only then see if it fits ok..." adventure.

If someone has a drop bar bike that fits well(or even a flat bar bike), everything is known with respect to how the fit of a flat bar bike will transition to a drop bar bike.

Step 1) Measure the frame and handlebar stack and reach of the good-fit road bike.
or
Step 1) Measure the frame and handlebar stack and reach of the good-fit flat bar bike.

Step 2) Use the stem comparison site to estimate the handlebar stack/reach impact of various stems available.
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

Step 3) Use the specs on compact drop bars (typically 75mm reach and 125mm drop) to estimate the handlebar stack/reach of the drop bar converted bike.

Step 4) Compare the handlebar stack/reach to the good fitting second bike. In my case there isn't one specific stack/reach combo that I find comfortable, rather there's a fairly wide range of stack and specifically reach that I find comfortable. If you can't find parts (a stem, usually) a DB convert-candidate bike needs to get the conversion into a comfortable stack/reach range, then the candidate bike isn't good for a DB conversion.

The key is flat bar bike a shorter than average top tube. For example, the 1990-1993 Trek 900 series mtn bikes have a shorter top tube than 1994 and up.

My touring bike is a '93 Trek 970 with a DB converted handlebar stack and reach that is very similar to my road bikes. Similar enough that I can ride 50 miles a day for a couple weeks and have no fit issues at all. It's a wonderful touring bike.

This is a recent DB conversion on a Trek 7.5FX (WSD) for my partner. I've done two of these for her. They've been really nice bikes. First, they fit And they run fast 38mm tires with plenty of gearing to handle about any terrain.

Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-11-23, 12:52 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
The Corner Bar really didn’t work for me. The horns were a bit too short for a comfortable hand position, not like riding on the hoods of the brake levers.
Old 11-11-23, 03:22 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Doing a DB conversion doesn't have to be an "invest a bunch of money and time and only then see if it fits ok..." adventure.
fishboat has a point.....my conversion to flat bar cost me under $100CDN.
The bars, neck, brake levers, grips came as a package used for $50.
The micro-shifters for the front and rear changers were $45BNIB. I ended up only keeping the rear shifter paddle and removing the big crank ring & front changer.
You just have to ensure the shifters and brake levers are compatible with your existing hardware.

Last edited by Speedway2; 11-11-23 at 03:25 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 11-11-23, 07:52 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by fishboat
I see this type of comment often when someone is asking questions about drop-bar conversions. Doing a DB conversion doesn't have to be an "invest a bunch of money and time and only then see if it fits ok..." adventure.

If someone has a drop bar bike that fits well(or even a flat bar bike), everything is known with respect to how the fit of a flat bar bike will transition to a drop bar bike.

Step 1) Measure the frame and handlebar stack and reach of the good-fit road bike.
or
Step 1) Measure the frame and handlebar stack and reach of the good-fit flat bar bike.

Step 2) Use the stem comparison site to estimate the handlebar stack/reach impact of various stems available.
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

Step 3) Use the specs on compact drop bars (typically 75mm reach and 125mm drop) to estimate the handlebar stack/reach of the drop bar converted bike.

Step 4) Compare the handlebar stack/reach to the good fitting second bike. In my case there isn't one specific stack/reach combo that I find comfortable, rather there's a fairly wide range of stack and specifically reach that I find comfortable. If you can't find parts (a stem, usually) a DB convert-candidate bike needs to get the conversion into a comfortable stack/reach range, then the candidate bike isn't good for a DB conversion.

The key is flat bar bike a shorter than average top tube. For example, the 1990-1993 Trek 900 series mtn bikes have a shorter top tube than 1994 and up.

My touring bike is a '93 Trek 970 with a DB converted handlebar stack and reach that is very similar to my road bikes. Similar enough that I can ride 50 miles a day for a couple weeks and have no fit issues at all. It's a wonderful touring bike.

This is a recent DB conversion on a Trek 7.5FX (WSD) for my partner. I've done two of these for her. They've been really nice bikes. First, they fit And they run fast 38mm tires with plenty of gearing to handle about any terrain.

thanks for this fishbowl, I've ordered the parts , and I have a few different stems already so I think I'll find a balance
Old 11-11-23, 07:56 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you do buy those you will screw yourself out of any warranty as whatever site that is I have extreme doubts they are an authorized Shimano dealer and I would question if they are even genuine Shimano parts in the first place.
Ignore the price in the pic , that was for just front derailleur, I ordered the set shifters rear and front dérailleurs cassette chain and calipers , 300 odd euro , ive shoped from there many times , never had anything but what I paid for
Old 11-11-23, 09:06 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
thanks for this fishbowl, I've ordered the parts , and I have a few different stems already so I think I'll find a balance
Ignore the price in the pic , that was for just front derailleur, I ordered the set shifters rear and front dérailleurs cassette chain and calipers , 300 odd euro , ive shoped from there many times , never had anything but what I paid for
What did you decide to go with?
11 speed and cable actuated calipers?
Old 11-11-23, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Nope not the issue, I doubt that place is an authorized Shimano dealer so therefore everything stated is still 100% still very relevant. Just because you get what you paid for doesn't mean you aren't getting knockoffs or fakes.
Likes For veganbikes: