Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Tiagra 9 speed brifter issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 02:01 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

Picked up this bike today for parts for other bikes mainly...
the LEFT brifter will push to the right( big chainring)
But doesn't go back down.
it's a Triple
When I push the return brifter it makes one slight click noise...then it's all "play" . Pushed Smoothly but does not return.
Cable has a lot of slack when this occurs.

When on the large chainring the cable is quite tight.

FD works. I can push it back and forth.

Should I just remove and send to be repaired?

I have used Branford Bike in Seattle in the past.
They fixed an 8 speed Campagnolo left brifter that did just about the same thing.

Appreciate your thoughts...ideas..

Last edited by bikemike73; 11-05-23 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-05-23, 02:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Being Shimano, your cable is probably breaking inside the shifter. With the brake lever and shifter simultaneously pulled, you will likely be able to see the broken strands in the replacement window. Those strands are jamming up of the mechanism, preventing it from returning under derailleur spring pressure. Got to get them all out.

Branford is good. But so is Good Weather, 20/20 and Recycled Cycles.
Old 11-05-23, 02:40 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Being Shimano, your cable is probably breaking inside the shifter. With the brake lever and shifter simultaneously pulled, you will likely be able to see the broken strands in the replacement window. Those strands are jamming up of the mechanism, preventing it from returning under derailleur spring pressure. Got to get them all out.

Branford is good. But so is Good Weather, 20/20 and Recycled Cycles.
^ This. Remove old cable and fit with new. Brifter will fully release and will work properly. Hopefully you can remove the old cable as per normal - it may be stuck but you HAVE to REMOVE IT COMPLETELY and install a BRAND NEW cable - DON'T try to re-use an old one.
You're welcome!
Old 11-05-23, 03:12 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
After removing the remnants of the old cable, spray some solvent inside the shift mechanism to flush out dirt and dried grease. Work the shifter through the detentes, then let it dry or blow out with compressed air. Then lubricate the mechanism with a shot of fresh oil. I like Tri-flow or Boeshield T-9.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 11-05-23, 04:11 PM
bikemike73 

Thank you for all the great advice.

Really appreciate it.

I'll see of there's a certain procedure and google shimano brifter cable replacement etc.

Thanks again

Any hints or if someone has done this would also be much appreciated

Old 11-05-23, 05:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Thank you for all the great advice.

Really appreciate it.

I'll see of there's a certain procedure and google shimano brifter cable replacement etc.

Thanks again

The broken cable problem is only really a problem with 10 speed. Your issue is with the lubrication inside the shifter and is a common problem with Shimano shifters. Some WD-40 sprayed into the guts through the cable port will usually get the lubricant refreshed and the shifter working again.

You’ll need to run the shifter through several cycles. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to change cables as well. All that takes is to release the anchor bolt on the derailer, release the shifter as much as possible and push the cable out of the shifter while holding the brake lever partially closed. You may have to tug on the cable while pressing the release lever to get the internals to release to the point where you can see the head. Spraying in the WD-40 and cycling the shifter will help
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-05-23 at 05:55 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-05-23, 06:13 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The broken cable problem is only really a problem with 10 speed. Your issue is with the lubrication inside the shifter and is a common problem with Shimano shifters. Some WD-40 sprayed into the guts through the cable port will usually get the lubricant refreshed and the shifter working again.

You’ll need to run the shifter through several cycles. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to change cables as well. All that takes is to release the anchor bolt on the derailer, release the shifter as much as possible and push the cable out of the shifter while holding the brake lever partially closed. You may have to tug on the cable while pressing the release lever to get the internals to release to the point where you can see the head. Spraying in the WD-40 and cycling the shifter will help
Broken cables in Shimano brifters has been a problem since 8 speed was introduced and continued in 11. There is no reason not to inspect the cable.
Old 11-05-23, 06:30 PM
bikemike73 

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Yes
The seller said the bike has not been used in about 3 years .
the cables look new
hopefully new cable and some lube will work.
I sprayed some wd 40 in the general area but not directly in the cable port.
Will do as suggested and report back.
Thank you!!!
Old 11-05-23, 06:33 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I thought the cable shredding was mainly with the right shifter, because it wraps 3 times as much cable as the left, but I could certainly be mistaken.

If the cable goes slack, wouldn't that indicate that the shifter is operating properly, but something downstream is binding?
In either event, changing the cable and housing should fix it; if the cable is really shredded within the shifter, you will find out early on.

I have not worked on Tiagra, but this is what I have done with 10 speed 105 5700:
When you have the shifter in the lowest position (corresponding to the small ring) if you release the cable and push on it toward the shifter with the hood peeled back, the cable end should pop out; If it does not then your cable may indeed be shredded. I have used an awl, fine tweezers, Triflow and bad language to get it out (once; learned my lesson).

Plenty of YouTube videos available.
Good luck!
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 11-05-23, 10:33 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I thought the cable shredding was mainly with the right shifter, because it wraps 3 times as much cable as the left, but I could certainly be mistaken.

If the cable goes slack, wouldn't that indicate that the shifter is operating properly, but something downstream is binding?
In either event, changing the cable and housing should fix it; if the cable is really shredded within the shifter, you will find out early on.

I have not worked on Tiagra, but this is what I have done with 10 speed 105 5700:
When you have the shifter in the lowest position (corresponding to the small ring) if you release the cable and push on it toward the shifter with the hood peeled back, the cable end should pop out; If it does not then your cable may indeed be shredded. I have used an awl, fine tweezers, Triflow and bad language to get it out (once; learned my lesson).

Plenty of YouTube videos available.
Good luck!
You are correct that the cable going slack should indicate something outside the shifter.

The cable stops can get junk in them, and sometimes the cable guide under the bottom bracket can be a problem. If the cable is slack in some places and tight in others, the OP should find out where it goes from one to the other.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-06-23, 07:01 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words..an video is worth even more

Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-06-23, 07:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I use Seafoam Deep Creep for issues like this when the cable is not the problem, sprayed in the proper areas.
Old 11-06-23, 07:17 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Shimano shifters, all types, will dry out internally over time and begin to shift poorly then sometimes not at all.
Pulling the old cable and spraying the internals with a lube of some sort works well in general unless a part is broken, etc. where it may not work at all.
I usually use silicone spray or Boeshield then use a compressor to blow out dust, etc., after wiping with a clean towel I spritz a bit of lube and wipe off excess replacing the cable with a new one generally a coated cable.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-06-23, 07:34 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Broken cables in Shimano brifters has been a problem since 8 speed was introduced and continued in 11. There is no reason not to inspect the cable.
The problem really did start with 10sp and 105 the worst. I never picked a frayed cable out till the first of the 5800 series 105 started flowing through and then it became surprisingly common.

Yes
The seller said the bike has not been used in about 3 years .
the cables look new
hopefully new cable and some lube will work.
I sprayed some wd 40 in the general area but not directly in the cable port.
Will do as suggested and report back.
Thank you!!!
With these tiagra shifters you should be able to lightly squeeze the lever and see the hole the cable goes through, by holding the lever open/lightly squeezing the brakes you can watch the mechanism move through the cable insertion hole and see if its actually moving. One trick that has helped some in the past when a lever isn't working quite right is to push the smaller lever forward into the bigger lever and then push into the downshift, so you're pushing diagonally. This wiggles things just enough inside to get them to move. Once done, just spray everything inside till it all moves.
Old 11-06-23, 07:37 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The problem really did start with 10sp and 105 the worst. I never picked a frayed cable out till the first of the 5800 series 105 started flowing through and then it became surprisingly common.
I've seen a bunch in 9 speed. So Is my experience wrong?
Old 11-06-23, 08:41 AM
bikemike73 

You are correct that the cable going slack should indicate something outside the shifter.

The cable stops can get junk in them, and sometimes the cable guide under the bottom bracket can be a problem. If the cable is slack in some places and tight in others, the OP should find out where it goes from one to the other.
The excessive slack ( quite a bit) is from the downtube to the FD.
This is only when I push the FD to the middle or smallest chainring.
Hopefully it will be a fairly simple fix.....unlike Campagnolo
Thank you for the advice !!!

Much appreciated!!
Old 11-06-23, 08:43 AM
bikemike73 

Originally Posted by fishboat
A picture is worth a thousand words..an video is worth even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmqV4klzaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jde0YvDIPfI&t=3s
THANK YOU FISHBOAT !!!

Video is worth more than a thousand words !!

I see you have a few Lemonds !! I ride a Alpe D' Huez Cannot beat 853 steel !!!! !!! LOVE IT Also have a Buenos Ares, Zurich, and Titanium

Last edited by bikemike73; 11-06-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-06-23, 11:16 AM
Kontact 

The excessive slack ( quite a bit) is from the downtube to the FD.
This is only when I push the FD to the middle or smallest chainring.
Hopefully it will be a fairly simple fix.....unlike Campagnolo
Thank you for the advice !!!

Much appreciated!!
How do you push the derailleur?
Old 11-06-23, 11:22 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts

I've done it dozens of times. My tips are, remove the housing, cut the cable a couple inches from the lever to make it easier to fiddle with, and use needle nose pliers, a pick, and tweezers to extract what's left. Shift to the slackest position you can. You can use the pick to push the cable end from behind to rotate the barrel. Sometimes you can coordinate pushing with the pick and pushing the cable with the pliers. Afterward, look inside for snibbles, which can be removed with tweezers.
Old 11-06-23, 11:37 AM
bikemike73 

I am a dope !!!! There....I said it..

it's the FD!!!!
I can wiggle it back and forth....duh....

It was mentioned above that since slack in the cable issue is outside the brifter...
Sure enough when I loosened the nut on the FD...it worked fine.
Herd nice clicking
Saw it rotate in the brifter.
The spring is broken...see pic
Thank you ALL for your help...it's invaluable!!!!
Now to the WTB section for a replacement

!st pic is what I checked to see spring. 2nd pic is broken spring

Last edited by bikemike73; 11-06-23 at 11:55 AM. Reason: correct
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-06-23, 11:49 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

I see you have a few Lemonds !! I ride a Alpe D' Huez Cannot beat 853 steel !!!! !!! LOVE IT Also have a Buenos Ares, Zurich, and Titanium
You rock!
Old 11-06-23, 11:57 AM
bikemike73 

The FIRST pic is what I checked to see ( spring)
2nd pic is the broken spring

Thanks again for all the help
Old 11-06-23, 12:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I am a dope !!!! There....I said it..

it's the FD!!!!
I can wiggle it back and forth....duh....

It was mentioned above that since slack in the cable issue is outside the brifter...
Sure enough when I loosened the nut on the FD...it worked fine.
Herd nice clicking
Saw it rotate in the brifter.
The spring is broken...see pic
Thank you ALL for your help...it's invaluable!!!!
Now to the WTB section for a replacement

!st pic is what I checked to see spring. 2nd pic is broken spring

Ah! Hadn’t thought of that. Yes, that is a very common problem with the other excellent Tiagra front derailer. The casting for the spring anchor is weak and tends to fracture. Replace it with either another Tiagra, a Sora, or a Micro Shift. The Micro Shift FD-R539 is a good choice and doesn’t seem to have the problem the Shimano derailer does.

If it comes to that, you can use the Tiagra. You’ll just have to use the Knickendrop method. You kick it and it drops. Up shifts are simple.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-06-23, 12:26 PM
bikemike73 

Thanks cyccommute !!
I clicked the link...they are out of stock , the ones with the band
I check other sites though
Thanks again !!
Old 11-06-23, 01:44 PM
cyccommute 

Thanks cyccommute !!
I clicked the link...they are out of stock , the ones with the band
I check other sites though
Thanks again !!
If necessary, you can buy a braze-on adapter or you could also use the 10 speed MicroShift

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.