Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bad info high in Google results

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 09:23 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts

I was looking for some information on MTB cassette spacing, and instead of Sheldon's stuff, the 3rd or 4th result was from this website:
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/

As I read the page looking for MTB cassette width info, I noticed three blaringly obvious falsehoods on the page. Not from jumbled info, like the wrong number on the wrong item or missing information, but entirely false claims. As if the author had heard something once, and drew the wrong conclusion and put it on the page.

When I looked around on the rest of the site I kept finding the same thing: Glaring errors or omissions.

What bothers me is that the web design is good, and makes it look like a professional library of bike information. Like the Park Tool site. So someone looking for guidance on solving an issue like squealing brakes or index compatibility is likely to buy the wrong parts or try the wrong solutions.

Has anyone else dealt with this website?
Old 12-16-23, 09:41 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Due to Search Engine Optimization (SEO) among advertising agencies with clients more than willing to pay to game the Internet sort engines, and other behind the scenes, profit friendly changes, Google is hopelessly broken and has been so for quite sometime now. Your obviously non-factual information used to be deprioritized to the infinity of useless results at the bottom of the list. This is no longer the case.

Nobody uses Google anymore. It's the MySpace of the sort engine world. It just doesn't know it yet.

Red dot has quietly amassed a large portion of the World's knowledge and made it accessible. There was a big stink between profit (viability) and volunteers that furnished information a while ago. I don't know if either side could claim a victory in that dispute. You can still command a Google search of Red dots information by using the operator Site:https://www.fillintheblank dot whatever as part of your search query.

There is also DuckDuckGo as a viable alternative. It is best used in Private Browsing on Firefox (or similar) on a VPN loaded with ad and script blockers if you fancy yourself important. The results are passable.

Last edited by base2; 12-16-23 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-16-23, 10:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I was looking for some information on MTB cassette spacing, and instead of Sheldon's stuff, the 3rd or 4th result was from this website:

As I read the page looking for MTB cassette width info, I noticed three blaringly obvious falsehoods on the page. Not from jumbled info, like the wrong number on the wrong item or missing information, but entirely false claims. As if the author had heard something once, and drew the wrong conclusion and put it on the page.

When I looked around on the rest of the site I kept finding the same thing: Glaring errors or omissions.

What bothers me is that the web design is good, and makes it look like a professional library of bike information. Like the Park Tool site. So someone looking for guidance on solving an issue like squealing brakes or index compatibility is likely to buy the wrong parts or try the wrong solutions.

Has anyone else dealt with this website?
They are also a forum poster here.

calling Bike Gremlin. Y'all should chat and maybe you can help them fix the issues or at least present the issues and why you think they are wrong. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone or trying to start a fight just want to help Kontact solve his issues or potentially Bike Gremlin correct errors should they exist.

As Abraham Lincoln once said "the problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"

With Google they have a thing called SEO which should just be G.O. but whatever and basically you can pay more money to get your stuff put on the top of Google. It is dumb and silly but it is common practice these days.
Old 12-16-23, 11:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

calling Bike Gremlin. Y'all should chat and maybe you can help them fix the issues or at least present the issues and why you think they are wrong. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone or trying to start a fight just want to help Kontact solve his issues or potentially Bike Gremlin correct errors should they exist.

As Abraham Lincoln once said "the problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity"

With Google they have a thing called SEO which should just be G.O. but whatever and basically you can pay more money to get your stuff put on the top of Google. It is dumb and silly but it is common practice these days.
Google search results are optimized for maximum profit for Google. Essentially, the top item is there because it's most profitable for Google, whether that's a simple bribe or pay per click or % of sales or whatever they've come up with. Not anything that serves you, the searcher.
Old 12-16-23, 11:22 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes

You want me to volunteer to fix the information of a guy that sells it as ebooks? If I'm going to do work like that, it will be so I can sell ebooks.

I just see this as another example of how people think that having internet access means they can put out whatever false information they want. More people need to keep their misconceptions to themselves.
Old 12-17-23, 06:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
You want me to volunteer to fix the information of a guy that sells it as ebooks? If I'm going to do work like that, it will be so I can sell ebooks.

I just see this as another example of how people think that having internet access means they can put out whatever false information they want. More people need to keep their misconceptions to themselves.
Apparently they also give information away as you obviously didn't pay for it. I'll complain about a problem but not help fix it because someone else may benefit.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-17-23, 06:46 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
There was a urinating contest over Sheldon Brown's website here recently. This thread is going to have an ammonia smell to it as well I think.

Everything on the internet is not going to be true or accurate. We've known that for a while.

Last edited by Chuck M; 12-17-23 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-17-23, 07:37 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Google is such a search engine, they are not responsible for the content of the websites that come up on searches. This from someone who avoids their search engine if at all possible. Other search engines will also come up with bikegremlin at some point. As to the accuracy of the info, of course it's not all accurate, do your due diligence with any website and cross reference with others as best you can. Even then, all of it can be wrong. Stuff happens. Sheldon Brown's website is also full of errors and misinformation, it's hardly beyond reproach. Even Shimano's information isn't always accurate, that's if you can find any of anymore in their tech docs hell they created.

The internet is no guarantee of anything, except in using it you're using it. The rest is a but a digital funhouse .... enjoy the movie
Old 12-17-23, 07:45 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
As if the author had heard something once, and drew the wrong conclusion and put it on the page.
Welcome to the internet.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-17-23, 08:30 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
The top Google search finds tend to be those paying or advertising to earn Google money.

That said I think Google is transitioning to AS. Artificial Stupidity.
Old 12-17-23, 08:44 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Ironically (assuming bf.net is indexed) Kontact’s link has probably given the site a nano-boost in validity as far as Google’s search ranking is concerned.
Old 12-17-23, 08:54 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts

As I read the page looking for MTB cassette width info, I noticed three blaringly obvious falsehoods on the page.
The author posts here, I'm surprised you've found errors as the content that I've read has been pretty solid.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 12-17-23, 09:36 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I'd like to thank Kontact for pointing out the errors. I highly appreciate it. Fixed them right away.
As I mostly use my site for personal reminder/reference, and for saving myself the time when people ask questions, for me it is important to have accurate, reliable information.

I wrote literally hundreds of articles over the past decade, and this year, I went over every single one, to fix both errors and typos. The mentioned errors are not the only ones I missed (another mistake caught by another visitor).

There are surely more. Only those who never do any work can afford to never make any mistakes.

Why I bother to write and publish articles

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
The top Google search finds tend to be those paying or advertising to earn Google money.

That said I think Google is transitioning to AS. Artificial Stupidity.
I don't pay to Google. My sites started and still are hobby & non-profit. I aim to keep them that way (my advertising and guest posting policy).
Having said that, while I'm happy to share my knowledge and information for free, I don't like the idea of having to pay out of my pocket in order to do so. That is why Patreon donations and automated ads help cover all the costs (I prefer the former, since automated ads keep me dependent on one or another big corporation's good will - it beats sponsors in terms of being independent and free, but it's far from perfect) - my article on how much does a (WordPress) website cost?

The visual design, UI and UX was done by my friend Maša (I only implemented her ideas and guidelines) - glad you like it.
BikeGremlin website (re)design story

Edit/P.S.

Article about Bing, DuckDuckGo and other search engine limitations

SEO - how to make a good website

P.P.S.

For a full disclosure:
Kontact had already PM-ed me about the errors noted in this thread, and I fixed them and replied that I did so.
I don't mind it being shared publicly - for me the most important thing is to fix any mistakes and all my pages instruct people to make public comments about any mistakes they find - so I can keep a track of any fixes and updates, or as I like to joke:

I also got a request to "take my website down" because it's bad. Obviously, I disagree with the esteemed member (whose technical knowledge I still respect).
I suppose this thread is the result of my refusal to put my site offline (since I did correct the noted mistakes and replied that I did so, thanking the feedback).

So, with the site removal off the table, any further mistake/error pointing out is more than welcome and I thank for it in advance.

Relja Novović

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 12-17-23 at 10:29 AM. Reason: full disclosure
Old 12-17-23, 09:58 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Here's my book sale/cover page:

My main motive for publishing the book(s) was that I've noticed various (commercial) websites literally copy/pasting my articles on their sites.

This way, a book is made, with a publish date, and that's hard to dispute for authorship/originality.

The extra benefit is having a paper version in a workshop.

Relja ContentRestlessWriter Novović

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 12-17-23 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 12-17-23, 11:04 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by grumpus
The author posts here, I'm surprised you've found errors as the content that I've read has been pretty solid.
Nearly every page I've reviewed has multiple errors or important omissions.

And then there are all the opinions offered as fact, like how freewheel hubs can't be machined precisely enough to mount a freewheel as parallel as a cassette because of the threads. WTF do these wack ideas come from?
Old 12-17-23, 11:33 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Nearly every page I've reviewed has multiple errors or important omissions.
That's your opinion.

And then there are all the opinions offered as fact,
I get that on the Internet a lot (not so much in real life). My 2c about "stating my opinions as facts."

like how freewheel hubs can't be machined precisely enough to mount a freewheel as parallel as a cassette because of the threads. WTF do these wack ideas come from?
Here is my reasoning (explanation):

Relja
Old 12-17-23, 11:47 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
That's your opinion.

I get that on the Internet a lot (not so much in real life). My 2c about "stating my opinions as facts."

Here is my reasoning (explanation):
Cassette (& Freewheel) Wobble explained

Relja
It isn't an opinion that there are errors. You admit they are there, and you don't know where they are because you made them.

Wobble has nothing to do with the machining of the freewheel hub threads. The wobble happens inside the freewheel itself. I'm not going to watch a 13 minute video when your premise is wrong.
Old 12-17-23, 11:48 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

It isn't an opinion that there are errors. You admit they are there, and you don't know where they are because you made them.

Wobble has nothing to do with the machining of the freewheel hub threads. The wobble happens inside the freewheel itself. I'm not going to watch a 13 minute video when your premise is wrong.
Fair enough, though I disagree. But if you notice any other errors, do let us know. Thank you.

Relja
Old 12-17-23, 11:55 AM
Kontact 

"You can't put the bearings at the end of the axle with a freewheel."

Freehubs that don't put the bearing far right:

On and on and on.
Old 12-17-23, 12:02 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
"You can't put the bearings at the end of the axle with a freewheel."

Freehubs that don't put the bearing far right:

On and on and on.
Seems like splitting hairs here. I consider helicomatic “freewheels” to be a type of cassette system myself. And sure, you can find some freehubs with the bearings inboard but the vast majority have bearings further outboard than a freewheel hub.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 12-17-23, 12:18 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by bboy314
Seems like splitting hairs here. I consider helicomatic “freewheels” to be a type of cassette system myself. And sure, you can find some freehubs with the bearings inboard but the vast majority have bearings further outboard than a freewheel hub.
After I published a few dozens of articles, my site started showing on Google.

That brought a lot of positive feedback.
A lot of constructive criticism too.
But also a lot of folks who just want to "prove you wrong" at any cost (i.e. trols and flaming).

Fortunately, I was already mature enough to disregard nonsense, and to constructivelly use even malicious stuff whenever possible (not everything should be 100% disregarded). In those terms, the error from the OP in this thread vas a valid point and I'm happy and grateful for it. The rest - it's not relevant.

I'm happy to hear my site ranks well on Google.
But I'm not aiming to please everyone, nor am I concerned about the innevitable errors, apart from looking to correct them whenever noticed (by me, or a reader).
I mean the serious, real ones (they are bound to happen) - not even talking about this kind of nit-picking.

Edit/P.S.
Freehubs that don't put the bearings far out:

Relja

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 12-17-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-17-23, 12:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-17-23, 02:30 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Freewheel wobble looks alarming, but I have to say, my Centurion Ironman with a 7 speed freewheel and Sora 2X7 brifters, was the best shifting bike I've ever had. My theory is that the slight wobble actually helps wiggle the chain into place.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-17-23, 02:53 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Freewheel wobble looks alarming, but I have to say, my Centurion Ironman with a 7 speed freewheel and Sora 2X7 brifters, was the best shifting bike I've ever had. My theory is that the slight wobble actually helps wiggle the chain into place.
I think it also helps that the 7 cogs have pretty wide spacing compared with modern 11+ cog drivetrains, and is much more forgiving with indexing adjustment.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 12-17-23, 05:45 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I found that when a large media and entertainment company made errors about some of its own properties, it was better to write my own book on the subject than ***** and moan about it on the internet.
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.