Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I enjoy my B17 so much, I thought I'd ride somebody elses...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 01:06 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Well, once a B17 is broken in, there is no better ride for most people. I enjoy mine quite a lot, but decided to ride an older one this morning. 70 years older, actually. Quite broken in, but well maintained. It was quite a ride, 13 of us went for 1,000' of elevation, 75 MPH average, 155 MPH top speed. There was plenty of vibration thru the aluminum frame, but we all took it with a smile. Well, maybe the pilot and co-pilot weren't smiling because they were working. But the rest of us had big goofy grins and plenty of bantor above the drone of those 4 Wright Cyclones....

Oh, did I mention this B 17 was of the Boeing variety. I love my Brooks, but for today, If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.
Old 01-18-14, 01:16 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You lucky bastage. I would have loved to get a hop in a 17. Where did you ride? Waist, top turret? how long was the ride? More details please. pics if possible. I've seen some at air shows but never ridden in one. It's a bucket list item..

BTW which one was it. Was it one from the Confederate Airforce (I refuse to call it Conservation,REALLY). You are a lucky man indeed.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-18-14, 01:55 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I was lucky enough to get about 3 hours in one. 40 min right seat, and had the run of the airplane the rest of the time. The only rule they laid down was stay out of the belly turret. Really cool day.
Old 01-19-14, 10:24 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I took a 30 minute flight in the Collings Foundation B 17 "909". They usually start their annual tour in Florida, and I finally made the ride. Once the wheels are up, you have pretty free roam of the plane. One of the things that surprised me was that after the first engine was running, I could not pick out additional engines starting or running. I took a couple dozen photos, but I always find it difficult to photograph something involving myself. This is probably the best shot I got, looking aft from the radio gun position with the plexiglass removed.
Attached Images