Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Commuting Improves a Life (VIDEO-not mine)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 02:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

First...I had nothing to do with the making of this vid. You can tell because it is really good.

This vid is a nice short about how commuting by bike changed a young woman's life for the better (I assume). And there is an Xtracycle involved.

Claire Rides a Bike by Front Ave on Vimeo.

There must be a thread around BF somewhere regarding how cycling in general or commuting specifically has changed BFers lives for the better. If not, maybe a Sticky would be appropriate? I would like to hear some true stories about bikes changing lives for sure.
Old 11-07-09, 03:04 PM
jsmonet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my own testimonial: it's added significantly to my stress level...but at least my ass looks better ^_^

the film was actually kinda lame, ******y, and dare i say it... scenester fodder. There's a good message in there, but it's muddled in with... i'll stop right there.

oh, and he deserves to lose her if she can drop his ass while riding what looks to be a big dummy loaded down with all her stuff. there's no excuse for him not being able to catch her

unrelated: those toyota vans are great. MR config... i've always wanted to buy my friends and try swapping a 3s-gte into it. the only thing stopping me is figuring out how to either get an engine crane into the car, or lift the entire body without actually having a lift
Old 11-07-09, 03:14 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda like it, I wouldn't mind wearing my bf's jerseys though heh.
Old 11-07-09, 04:16 PM
tbdean

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I would like to hear some true stories about bikes changing lives for sure.
You're asking for a long thread!

I suddenly started having disabling Migraine's about a decade ago. After 18 months and over a dozen trips to the E.R. I found a drug cocktail that took the pain from 'constant' to 'once a week'. It was cycling that got rid of that weekly Migraine. The last time I took a few weeks off of riding I wound up back in the E.R., but that was awhile ago. I haven't seen an E.R., or even a pain killer, in years.
Old 11-07-09, 06:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Bet the guy at work liked her better in the lycra.

Why throw an anti-lycra thing into what is suppose to be a cycling vid?
Old 11-07-09, 06:16 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I've asked a similar question about many threads in this very forum.
Old 11-07-09, 06:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by CB HI
I wasn't sure if that was just a way to mark her progression away from the boyfriend, or to show that she somehow graduated from a "cyclist" to a "person who rides a bike". I didn't read that as a dig against Lycra per se. She didn't need the cycling uniform anymore. In a short vid without time to develop characters completely, the film maker needed some landmarks for the main character to pass in order to show her progression away from the boyfriend.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-07-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 06:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Seemed rather obvious with the camel toe remark by her.
Old 11-07-09, 06:27 PM
QuickityJacks

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck, Ridley Crossbow, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hipster doofus are a cowardly and suspicious lot, more insecure than the ever-frustrating (to these fashionista fascistas) and unflappable Fred. Justification for picking up the discarded leavings of cutting edge "underground" fashion and claiming it's a matter of pragmatism is the first sign of the infection.

There is no cure.

Next up, she'll start listening to radio safe indie bands, getting some ironic tattoos, wearing a Hugo Boss influenced military jacket, ironically donning a keffiyeh and making a statement about gears being an overcomplicated crutch for the weak.

Those handle bars are just going to get narrower, those tires more colorful. Sure, she lost the deadbeat, but at what cost?

AT WHAT COST, JB?

I need more NyQuil.
Old 11-07-09, 06:57 PM
RedZone
Caffeine addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It reminded me of a schmaltzy movie from the Hallmark channel: downtrodden woman finds inner strength to leave her creepy boyfriend.
Old 11-07-09, 07:06 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That she ended up on an Xtracycle/Big Dummy instead of generic fixed gear #12598 is pretty cool.
Old 11-07-09, 07:35 PM
abmtnbkr
Lovin the O.C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That video was awesome. Cracked me up when she called him a "pendejo" at the end. Indeed he was.
Old 11-07-09, 10:08 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Bendecho
Old 11-07-09, 11:05 PM
mondaycurse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried watching, but had to pause after she got the chainring tattoo. I mean, really?
The scenes connect very awkwardly with very little flow. I almost felt like there was supposed to be a commercial break around 5:19. The whole thing just didn't move me at all, but I will say that some camera shots were good.

As for bikes changing lives, I fixed up my mom's Mongoose (pre Walmart takeover) hybrid and she's lost 20 pounds over the summer. She used to ride occasionally, but I just realized this spring how poor some of the adjustments were. A well-tuned bike can make all the difference.
Old 11-08-09, 01:46 AM
jsmonet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it WAS terribly acted, but i tried to get past that and not let it dog the general message that while she looked good in the jersey, mustache bars and rolled jeans are just cooler than a guy with no aspirations not to get dropped by a girl hauling more stuff than a chinese water man*

*before any snide remarks, been there, bought that water, going back in a few months, eat my lycra
Old 11-08-09, 01:55 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I liked it. Remember the category of film this is--it's a short film. Meaning, you don't have much time for your story line. I thought it certainly was more creative and artistic that the other films presented at the Oregon bike film festival. Most were pretty unorganized and boring with amateur videography.
Old 11-08-09, 08:09 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok vid with a Ok message. I can relate to it. I'm 6years post dropping dead of a heat attack. Almost 2 years past being told that I was pre diabetic and what finally got me commuting. Blood sugar is now good and I'm 30lb lighter then spring 08. Now if I could get my wife in the Lycra and on the bike more I'd be happy. We do have a linear park that is about to be built behind our neighborhood and I think that will get us more bike together time.
Old 11-08-09, 10:16 AM
tballx
Count Dorkula

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickityJacks
The hipster doofus are a cowardly and suspicious lot, more insecure than the ever-frustrating (to these fashionista fascistas) and unflappable Fred. Justification for picking up the discarded leavings of cutting edge "underground" fashion and claiming it's a matter of pragmatism is the first sign of the infection.

There is no cure.

Next up, she'll start listening to radio safe indie bands, getting some ironic tattoos, wearing a Hugo Boss influenced military jacket, ironically donning a keffiyeh and making a statement about gears being an overcomplicated crutch for the weak.

Those handle bars are just going to get narrower, those tires more colorful. Sure, she lost the deadbeat, but at what cost?

AT WHAT COST, JB?

I need more NyQuil.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 11-08-09, 07:24 PM
jsmonet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the worst facet of this vid is the insistence that one can be neither fredly (she looked pretty good in the jersey) nor a sports fan and still a) keep a sigOther and b) be taken seriously as a cyclist

no, i'm not going to take a ride with you during a charger game. that's once a week, and I will be either hitting the trainer after or riding -before- the game.

i suppose being a sports fan just isn't hip :/
Old 11-08-09, 08:40 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by jsmonet
no, i'm not going to take a ride with you during a charger game...i suppose being a sports fan just isn't hip :/
Yeah, that's a bad time to expect attention - during a sporting event. I think the problem with the boyfriend was more than once a week tho.

My wife told me on our second date 15 years ago that she was not a cyclist right up front. So no surprise there. I would be a real dikk to hold that against her later. And SHE stays home to watch the Saints, not me. That works out great for both of us. Especially since the Saints are doing great this year. If I have errands to run (grocery, Home Depot) or a bike ride to do, I just leave the house right at kickoff. At least a quarter of a million less people will be outside for three hours! I have the city nearly to myself. Later in the week I catch the highlights on NFL.com.

God how I LOVE football! Keeps the masses off the streets during the best weather of the entire year in New Orleans.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-08-09 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 11:20 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I wasn't sure if that was just a way to mark her progression away from the boyfriend, or to show that she somehow graduated from a "cyclist" to a "person who rides a bike". I didn't read that as a dig against Lycra per se. She didn't need the cycling uniform anymore. In a short vid without time to develop characters completely, the film maker needed some landmarks for the main character to pass in order to show her progression away from the boyfriend.
And here I thought it was just to show the progression of time and her adjusting to the colder weather ;-). I actually ride with a green shirt like that (though it's not a jersey) and bike shorts. My wardrobe evolves in a similar manner as we move towards winter, 'cept for the tight rolled up jeans.

It's an OK video for what it is. Biking is both how I get to work and a hobby. However, it's not a lifestyle for me in the way it is for some folks. Given that, I think part of the message is lost on me.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-08-09 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 11:43 PM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty simple little movie, but for what it is I liked it.
Old 11-09-09, 04:55 AM
mrbrown

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AT WHAT COST, JB?
That was hilarious.
Old 11-09-09, 07:39 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There is no cure.

AT WHAT COST, JB?

I need more NyQuil.
One of the most entertaining posts I've read in a long time. Thanks for helping me through Monday morning.
Old 11-09-09, 08:00 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
seen this vid a couple of times now! thanx for postin it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.