Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

The Southeast Turns Into A Winter Hell

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

The Southeast Turns Into A Winter Hell

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 01:42 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hey Brad. Good to see you on here.

Originally Posted by tbdean
20 degrees on the way in. My water bottle froze!
On the way in??? I thought you worked from home. Got a new job?

My water bottles are staying nice and toasty in the laundry room.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-07-10, 02:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
you got studs on that trainer?
Old 01-07-10, 02:59 PM
tbdean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
Hey Brad. Good to see you on here.
On the way in??? I thought you worked from home. Got a new job?
Yup. Worked at a startup in Buckhead with my brother for a year. We ran out of funding (had a blast though) so now I'm at Comcast in Vinnings.

I'm watching the snow fall and wondering how much of it is turning to ice on the street. It'll be an interesting ride home for sure.
Old 01-07-10, 03:12 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 858 Posts
I have a 200k this Sat.--will be about 29 at take-off. That's pretty rare down here. But, it's part of the game--whatever happens, deal.

I'm less upset about the cold than missing the Bengals game. If I'm fast enough, I can see the second half, anyway. Who Dey!
Old 01-07-10, 03:55 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28635 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
The problem is that your body acclimates to your area.
Not exactly. I've lived here for years and my body never has felt acclimated from November-March.

No ride today: SNOW!! Even on the roads.

I can't take this anymore.
Old 01-07-10, 04:24 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

January fury hits K-Town:

Old 01-07-10, 08:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Possible sleet\ice tonight which will just close this town down. Bridges aplenty. I have a vivid memory of the 1989 ice\snow debacle and do not want a repeat.

Old 01-07-10, 08:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
The high is the normal/average low! Global warming you say? We also just had the mildest summer in 50 years in 2009.
That's why they average. Temps haven't changed at all over the past 40 years.
Old 01-07-10, 10:03 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Bikes: 2018 Synapse Dura-Ace, 1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
here's what I came home to today - subdivision is a total skating rink. a mix of black and white ice. The only "snow" was on the shoulders. The main roads were okay but the secondary roads got no salt / brine so they were pretty slick. Our house is just over the knoll of this hill but luckily there is a way through "around back" that has a couple of more gradual hills so I didn't have to hike in. My wife snapped some pics of the kids sledding, and we all went out after dinner to have a go at it. We had one sled, pizza boxes, and used up two pool inner-tubes. (they don't last as long as sno-tubes, too thin) Photo taken from about 1/3 the way up the hill, which Ts onto another road, with a driveway across the way to make things interesting. I almost suggested the folks move the cars from their driveway in case some knuckle head decides to try to go down it in the morning, but then I realized if the cars weren't in the driveway, the runway car would hit their house instead... bit of a bad location... house and 25' driveway lined right up with the hill across the street.

Last edited by Gavush; 01-07-10 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 08:56 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by tbdean
Yup. Worked at a startup in Buckhead with my brother for a year. We ran out of funding (had a blast though) so now I'm at Comcast in Vinnings.
Vinings is a LONG way from L'ville. Stay safe.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-08-10, 09:52 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

For the first time in more than two years I'm wondering how long snow/ice will keep me from riding. We only got 1-2", but it's been so cold that just about all of it stuck to the roads. And the temperature isn't supposed to crack freezing until Monday so it might not melt all that fast.

Oy.
Old 01-08-10, 10:48 AM
RonH
Life is good

Because of the well-below average temps we've had lately I haven't been out for almost 2 weeks and my legs can tell it.
Next week it's supposed to be warmer so maybe I'll have a few chances to get out.

Old 01-08-10, 05:30 PM
tbdean

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
For the first time in more than two years I'm wondering how long snow/ice will keep me from riding. We only got 1-2", but it's been so cold that just about all of it stuck to the roads.
Yup, I wussed out today too. I don't mind the cold but the ice was curb to curb in my neighborhood. I can just imagine slipping and falling down in the traffic lane, or someone sliding into me.
Old 01-08-10, 05:57 PM
RonH
Life is good

I was able to slowly back the car down the driveway (I live on a hill) and ran a few errands. Too many a-holes were driving like the roads were dry -- way too fast and too close to my bumper.
When I got home I was hoping the sun had melted enough of the snow on the driveway but all the snow was still there. I got half way up the driveway and the tires started slipping even though I was going slow. After two attempts I decided the car would stay in the street tonight.
Too bad there isn't enough snow to ride my Kona Jake around the neighborhood.
Tonight's low is supposed to be 17F so I guess everything will be icy tomorrow until early afternoon.

Old 01-08-10, 08:25 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Is that ice-melting agent they spray on the road before it snows bad for bikes?

Most of the main roads were snow-free this afternoon, but now I wonder what's left on the roads.
Old 01-10-10, 11:27 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 858 Posts
Yesterday, I had a 200k ride. Temps were in the low 40's, 15 mph wind and rain all day long. This is so far from typical in central Florida, where the normal day would be high 72 and sunny this time of year(which is why we schedule brevets in January in the first place!).

My fingers were so stiff and numb that I feared a DNF for a flat tire, but I did get it changed after about 30 minutes of shivering and cursing. I think I would have been fine with better waterproof winter gear. But, I had none, and none was available to buy here (no time to get online). I've never needed more than those 99 cent cotton gloves in the past, and even those only a couple times a year, early in the morning.

Anyway, it was good training for brevets. I can always call on that memory when I'm having a hard time later. If I could get through that ride...
Old 01-11-10, 06:31 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

We tied a record, going nine(!) straight days without cracking freezing. Today was a balmy 35F. One more day of freezing madness and we'll finally return to normal. 45F will never have felt so warm.

I haven't ridden in almost week, largely due to the lingering snow we got Thursday.
Old 01-12-10, 08:38 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its been very cold here in NC too. Tough winter so far. No snow though. I did manage to put in 40 miles this past Saturday, and 40 on Sunday too. I was very happy since it gave me confidence in my ability to ride in cold weather. About 23 degrees when we started, 33 when we finished. But we ride slow and that's fine. Anything is better than the trainer.

Having said that, I think the 23 degree point is just about my limit. Below that and I'm at the "Y" in the swimming pool.
Old 01-13-10, 06:22 PM
RonH
Life is good

Sorry guys. I hate to throw ice on your cold weather party. We still had snow in our backyard (from last Thursday) and the wife and I couldn't take it any longer so we left town Monday and drove to Panama City Beach, Florida. We'll be here all week. Tomorrow it will be in the low 60s so I'm breaking out the shorts.
I'm not looking forward to driving back to the snow belt on Sunday. The high in Atl is only supposed to be 50 with rain.
Here's a picture to warm you up. No, that isn't snow. That's the white sand on the beach.

Old 01-13-10, 08:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Tonight will break a 11 day of temps in the low 20's all time record for Jacksonville. Will warm up this weekend, but we are expecting rain all day on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Old 01-28-10, 07:32 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

It's back!

K-Town is now at DEFCON 2:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN FALLING ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON... AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES FRIDAY NIGHT. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TO DECREASE THROUGH SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 9 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE NORTHERN CUMBERLAND PLATEAU... NORTHEAST TENNESSEE INCLUDING THE TRI-CITIES AREA... SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA... AND THE CENTRAL TENNESSEE VALLEY INCLUDING KNOXVILLE. HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE CUMBERLAND PLATEAU AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COULD SEE LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. IN THE KNOXVILLE AREA... TEMPERATURES WILL BE VERY CLOSE TO FREEZING... AND THERE COULD BE A PERIOD WHEN THE SNOW IS MIXED WITH RAIN OR SLEET. IF TEMPERATURES ARE ONLY A DEGREE OR TWO WARMER... SNOW AMOUNTS MAY BE LOWER.
I'll believe 5 to 9 inches when I see it, but it should be interesting here the next 48 hours. At any rate, it doesn't look like it will be a good weekend for riding. . . .
Old 01-29-10, 06:18 AM
mike047
Grumpy

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 3.0/ Giant Sedona DX/Giant Defy 3/ Corsa with a tall seat post

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll hunker down until Monday.....probably shovel Saturday afternoon.
Old 01-29-10, 04:35 PM
Gavush
(this space for rent)

Bikes: 2018 Synapse Dura-Ace, 1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you've got a snow shovel??

yeah, so far we've only got an inch or two. Got out of work at noon though, and so long as it keeps up, tomrrow is out too.
Old 01-29-10, 05:56 PM
mike047
Grumpy

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 3.0/ Giant Sedona DX/Giant Defy 3/ Corsa with a tall seat post

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavush
you've got a snow shovel??

yeah, so far we've only got an inch or two. Got out of work at noon though, and so long as it keeps up, tomrrow is out too.
A couple of inches is all that has fallen so far, it quit for the present.............if this is all we get, no problem.

I've had the same snow shovel for over 25 years