Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Summer Road Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 01:43 PM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summer Road Gear

I'm interested to hear if anyone has found gear such as bibs and shoes which are more breathable in high temperatures. I live in Arkansas, and right now it's fast approaching the hottest part of the year. Temp is creeping up towards 100+ degrees fahrenheit during the hottest part of some days in August, and hovering around 80+ % humidity most days.

Two issues.

Shoes
My road bike shoes in particular feel like they cook my feet while I ride. I current wear a pair of Bontrager Velocis shoes. Not much ventilation. I would like to find a second pair to wear during the warming months. Something, with preferably A LOT more mesh for airflow. I've looked just about everywhere and the only style I see that aren't majority synthetic or leather material are Triathlon road shoes. I've never had any experience with Tri shoes, so I don't know what the fit/flex differences are.

Bib Shorts
Surely I cannot be the only person who's bibs are soaked with sweat even at the end of a ride. I currently have just the one pair of Specialized RBX Comp bib shorts. Maybe I'm expecting too much because of all the running gear that I'm used to, and it being paper thin. I just have a hard time believing that the thickness on my lycra bibs is supposed to perform well in the type of hot and humid conditions in this area of the US. I've found one brand that makes bibs with side and rear mesh panels. Castelli Inferno Bibs, but hopefully there is something out there for less than $200. Though I suppose if the bibs get used a lot as a result it might be worth saving for.

What have you folks found that works? Anything better that just dousing yourself with water every so often? Even doing that seems ineffective when it's so humid and doesn't evaporate completely.

Last edited by theHomelessJedi; 07-17-17 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 06:59 AM
tbdean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Atlanta and, yeah, I feel you. Nearly 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

Here is what I use that works well.

Bibs - Assos
I use the T.CENTO_S7 because they're designed for longer rides and I'm training for a 200k:
https://www.assos.com/en_m/assos-roa...shorts/t-cento

While we're on Assos they also sell a SUMMERSOCK that is incredible light but doesn't feel bunched up, even after 100 miles:
https://www.assos.com/en_m/assos-roa...summersock-bmc

And a glove that's the same thing - the entire top is mesh unlike most gloves that have a bit of leather or plastic on a quarter of the top:
https://www.assos.com/en_m/assos-roa...ummergloves-s7

Shoes - Sidi Tiger
I use a Cyclecross shoe so that I can have a walkable cleat, but the bottom is still carbon. TONS of mesh for ventilation.
Sidi - cycling and motorcycling shoes and clothes

If you want a true road shoe then the Sidi Shot is the exact same thing but in a road version:
Sidi - cycling and motorcycling shoes and clothes

Bottles
Specialized Purist Insulated bottles have held up really well. Filled with ice water they won't immediately turn to warm water like other insulated bottles, and it's the Purist plastic that doesn't retain flavors. The only downside is they aren't dishwasher safe.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/eq...-bottle/126275

Other tips
Lots of water of course. I ride with a cycling cap and I'll soak that with water instead of dousing myself.

Electrolytes! Get some Nuun and throw two in each bottle instead of the one that Nuun recommends.

Acclimate. Just ride outside lots and get used to it. There is a HUGE difference between the first ride in 95 degree heat and the 10th.

Take advantage of air conditioning. If you're on a long ride then don't be afraid to stop at a gas station, drink a coke, and cool off inside.
Old 07-21-17, 06:04 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tbdean
I live in Atlanta and, yeah, I feel you. Nearly 100 degrees and 100% humidity.
Hey Brad. Good to see you on here.

Here in Florida where the temps are 90+ with 125% humidity we get out early in the day before it gets HOT.

I wear regular Sugoi bibs. They seem to do the job of keeping me comfortable.

[edit] I also have an older pair of De Marchi bibs that are a little lighter weight. They work great when it's really hot. [/edit]

I had a pair of Specialized Pro road shoes that had LOTS of ventilation. I loved them but wore them out and haven't gotten around to getting another pair.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 07-21-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 06:42 PM
Posas13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Tennessee and feeling the same. I've been dousing myself with water pre-ride, and carrying an extra bottle in my back pocket....drinking & dousing thru the ride....it's still hot. Is the wet jersey the right move?
Old 07-29-17, 03:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am in NW Florida, another very hot and humid location, like the whole Southeastern U.S. tends to be. I would suggest that you watch for kit listed as Summer weight, and jersey's with high wicking ability so you are not being heated by trapped sweat. A well ventilated helmet is going to help out a good deal also. I like Specialized's Echelon and Prospero models, some goon ventilization ducts and removable foam sections to act as sweat absorbents. For good lightweight jerseys Either Ascent or DeMarchi summer jerseys get use daily.

If you can find a group purchase that features Champion Systems kit, or spend a bit more on single item purchases their light weight summer line is really good stuff. I have a 50+ Forum custom jersey in lightweight summer material that is excellent.

Water bottles for me are all Camelback, both Podium regular and Big Chill get daily use with zero failures. Big Chill model is insulated so cool drink remains so longer, and the materials are good safe stuff.

As far as bibs, I like Louis Garneau bib shorts. Well made and good comfortable tailoring. I want to try both Assos and Rapha summer weight bibs, I have read a lot of positive comments and reviews on them. Shoes for me are Sidi, wide widths, good ventalation and excellent constructionC. I wear the Genius 5, and newer models look even better. Best of luck on finding what works best for your climate and riding style.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-29-17 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 11:38 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
One of the things I've found to be helpful is cooling from the inside out. A bolus dose of cold water/soda has proven to be an effective means of cooling off for me.

Initially I was worried it would cause stomach/digestive issues but I've tried it several times in the last few weeks with no issues. I'll drink (effectively chug) around 12-20 ounces of very cold liquid, cold enough that it just about hurts my teeth. Rapid cooling effect follows and it seems to last for quite a while - I spent a little more than 2 hours riding in the full sun from noon-2 with no shade on highway 411 in north georgia a few weeks ago. After about an hour I was fried and overheated, took in a ice cold 20 ounce root beer and was good for almost another hour, where I stopped and bought a 10lb bag of ice to recharge for the next hour to my car.

Of course, this requires purchasing ice/cold drinks from a gas station.

I still douse myself with water, etc. but the above seems to be a good addition as well.
Old 08-02-17, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cold liquid empties from the stomach faster than warm liquid, into the intestine where it can be absorbed.
Old 08-03-17, 08:22 AM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I am in NW Florida, another very hot and humid location, like the whole Southeastern U.S. tends to be. I would suggest that you watch for kit listed as Summer weight, and jersey's with high wicking ability so you are not being heated by trapped sweat. A well ventilated helmet is going to help out a good deal also. I like Specialized's Echelon and Prospero models, some goon ventilization ducts and removable foam sections to act as sweat absorbents. For good lightweight jerseys Either Ascent or DeMarchi summer jerseys get use daily.

Water bottles for me are all Camelback, both Podium regular and Big Chill get daily use with zero failures. Big Chill model is insulated so cool drink remains so longer, and the materials are good safe stuff.
Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. I have definitely considered looking at a more well ventilated helmet. My cheap Spesh helmet doesn't cut it.

I also use Camelbak Podium Big Chill Bottles, usually with a generous amount of ice in the water. Lately I've been putting a Nuun tablet in each bottle so dousing myself with water hasn't been an option. May switch to just one tablet and one non.

Something else I occasionally do before long rides is to drink part of a Powerade Slush from Sonic. It's a little trick I learned when I was training for a Half-Marathon during the summers. Cools you down for a good little while and the electrolytes are already built in. I'm sure there is a ton of sugar as well, but I only do this before long rides.