Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

About the choice of electric bicycle oil pressure disc brake conversion

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

About the choice of electric bicycle oil pressure disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 04:45 AM
DYISLAND Mark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lightbulb About the choice of electric bicycle oil pressure disc brake conversion

When it comes to modifying your brakes, would you rather go online or offline? If you buy online, in your choice of brake hose length, would you rather buy one that is estimated to be about as long as you are, or one that has a long enough brake hose to allow you to cut it yourself (a cutting tool will be included).
Old 05-30-23, 09:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Why not measure what you need using a string and tracing the arc (this is what I do)? Also, remember if you cut the line you'll need to bleed the brakes.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-30-23, 10:23 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I don't really need to modify my brakes, I got Magura MT4s and MT5s they are excellent. If you are asking about where to buy brakes or brake hoses I recommend going to your local shop to get the correct parts and they can also do it for you so you can spend that time doing other things and get out and ride more quickly and you don't have to buy bleed kits and other tools you may not want to use. I want a quality brake from a known sources and quantity. There are some online shops that are also a brick and mortar but there are also plenty of places to buy fakes and knockoffs and just general junk and they may not even be a bike shop.

As 2old said a string is helpful for measurement if you want to do it yourself.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-30-23, 07:40 PM
DYISLAND Mark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, very professional
Likes For DYISLAND Mark:
Old 06-02-23, 04:19 PM
m@Robertson

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
To directly answer the question, I want hose that I need to cut to the proper size. I buy it online.

But the correct answer depends on whether you know what you are doing in the first place, and if not whether you are mechanically inclined, and proficient at following directions.

I personally use Magura MT5's on all my bikes, in part so I have just one set of spares (pads, rotors etc.) that work across the fleet. But I also build my bikes frame-up, so I use the Magura kits which come with - IIRC - 2200 mm of hose per each axle kit. 2200mm is too long for most applications so I expect to shorten those cables, and re-bleed once thats done. So I will need to have some proper hose clippers, a bleed kit with the right fluid, an olive and a needle hose tip, and most importantly a needle driver - an inexpensive, bike-brake-specific tool that is sooooo worth the money to have, and I wish I bought one years before I finally did. Also a T25 wrench.

I think thats all of it. Buy the tools and learn to use them. If you are the sort who wants a professional to do the work for you, to each their own go that route.

For my two Bullitts, the front wheel is about 5 feet in front of the handlebars. The Magura hose is too short as are many other options. But Jagwire high end mtn kits include a 3000mm hose that is only a bit too long. Snip it down, buy the kit that give you attachable Magura ends and do the work. Without those tools in hand and some experience, this is a bike shop job and probably quite expensive. But once you learn it yourself, you're self-sufficient.
Old 07-28-23, 12:09 AM
DYISLAND Mark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanke you!!