Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Recovering from pacemaker insertion?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 08:19 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts

My doc has convinced me I could use a pacemaker, since 2 week heart monitorig showed both too high and too low heart rates and because I get dizzy at least once a day, even though I'm usually well hydrated.

If you had a pacemaker inserted, what can you tell me about how long it took you to get back on the bike?

Thanks. in advance.
Old 06-30-20, 09:57 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I had a pacemaker inserted in January, 2018 and was back on the bike in three weeks. Main precautions are that you do not raise your left arm above your head or reach behind as this might dislodge the wiring to the heart. Slight discomfort in the groin soon fades away. Mine maintains my resting HR at 60, whereas before it was 34 with some potentially dangerous pauses. It does not limit my upper HR. My pacemaker is monitored wirelessly by the heart center via a unit beside my bed.
Old 06-30-20, 03:48 PM
philbob57

Thanks. I appreciate the info.
Old 07-02-20, 04:31 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Recovering from pacemakerinsertion?

I had an ICD placed to prevent arrhythmias; I was off 3 weeks.
Old 07-11-20, 10:49 AM
philbob57

Just a note in case someone else is curious. I had a 2-chamber pacemaker implanted yesterday. The limitation I was given was not to raise my arm over my head, but I've gotten different directions about how long that limitation holds. I'll have to check with my doc Monday.

I have reached behind me a couple of times. I fear that may have been a couple of times to much. Again, I'll have to check with my doc.

The main thing I want to note is that the pain has been less than I expected. The pacemaker was implanted under my left clavicle close to my shoulder. I got home about 5 hours after the end of the surgery. I walked in the door and took 2 extra-strength generic tylenols (1000 mg). Six hours later, I took 600 mg of ibuprofen. Three hours after that, just before bed, I took another 1000 mg of tylenol. I slept wll, except that I usually switch from left to right side; with the wound on my left, I switched from right sid eto back. That will take some getting used to, since the surgeon said I shouldn't sleep on my left side for2 weeks.

So far today (awake for 5 hours), I've been limiting movement of my left arm, but I haven't felt a need for any pain killer. The discomfort is a soreness rather than a sharp pain.

Also, the general practice appers to be to spend at least one night in the hospital. Due to Covid-19, however, the practice is to get people out of the hospital as soon as possible.

My cardiologist - not the surgeon - told me to stay off the bike for a week.

Just one data point. If you're reading this and contemplating getting a pacemaker, I hope it helps.

ETA: I rode 2 weeks and 1 day after insertion, and I felt burning at the incision site, so I cut the ride short. I rode 3 weeks after insertion and felt just a little burning. Three weeks seems like a reasonable expectation for being off the road, maybe less if you have very light hands. Alas, I don't.

The worst part for me is that Ihave a hard time keeping my arm down - I have some habits that involve stretching my arm, and I have to break them. My doc, BTW, says 6 months without putting the arm over my head. I told him others say 6 weeks. He just said, 'They're wrong. I'm right.' As I say, if I break some habits, I'll lower my risk of detaching the leads.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-31-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-23-23, 11:37 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
I had a pacemaker inserted in January, 2018 and was back on the bike in three weeks. Main precautions are that you do not raise your left arm above your head or reach behind as this might dislodge the wiring to the heart. Slight discomfort in the groin soon fades away. Mine maintains my resting HR at 60, whereas before it was 34 with some potentially dangerous pauses. It does not limit my upper HR. My pacemaker is monitored wirelessly by the heart center via a unit beside my bed.
I had a 2-wire pacemaker inserted 7-28-23 and I'm not too happy with it. I needed it because I developed a complete block between atria and ventricles above about a 110 HR. I have the same low HR limit as you, but it has an upper HR limit, which the doc said is set at 125, actually the thing craps out at about 120 and will totally fail at 122, no ventricular beat from there on up, not fun on the bike. Last year, my max HR was 147. I have a sneaking suspicion that my doc has never met an athlete.

What make and model is yours? What's your max HR with it? And is everything still good between you and it? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 10-23-23, 03:04 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Mine is a Boston Scientific L311 332316 dual lead. Mine is not set to a max, but these days that does not worry me, as i rarely go beyond 120. I did see my HR go to 135 the other day, when I had a short bout of afib,

Never had a problem with the device. I take it overseas when we travel and it automatically connects to whatever network to transmit back to my doctor.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 10-25-23, 09:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Mine is a Boston Scientific L311 332316 dual lead. Mine is not set to a max, but these days that does not worry me, as i rarely go beyond 120. I did see my HR go to 135 the other day, when I had a short bout of afib,

Never had a problem with the device. I take it overseas when we travel and it automatically connects to whatever network to transmit back to my doctor.
I got the doc to turn it up to 130 a couple days ago. Going for a run today, so I'll see how it performs. I think that'll be enough for me, though. Pushing it too much is maybe how I wound up with it. Good to know about the under-bed gadget.