Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Talking with police about traffic violation

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Talking with police about traffic violation

Old 08-26-20, 11:16 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
The typical problem with shared video. BTW, welcome to the inquisition.
Sorry that I missed this post yesterday.

Why were you stopped where you were in the roadway? Shimagnolo addressed this earlier with Google Maps link.

What had happened immediately before the clip starts? Is that the first time turning the camera on? The GoPro was on the whole ride (8 miles home from the store), for no good reason, I'll post clip before the light and my 'conversation' with the person driving the Honda (I wasn't at my best, but avoided being vulgar)

I understand the anger you felt as someone chose to risk your life rather than move their steering wheel another 8 degrees counter-clockwise; did you expect a different outcome? No

It's unclear to me, did you catch the driver and both of you wait for police? The driver stopped after I yelled, I didn't ask the driver to wait, it was not worth it for me or the police.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-26-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 11:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Why do you have to swear in your video? very immature
What's your ******* point?!?

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-26-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 11:31 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts

I usually move through red lights and generally try to get out in front of traffic.

Sometimes I ride country roads where cars pass close. Sometimes I wish I had a pocket full of marbles.
Old 08-26-20, 11:52 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Sometimes I ride country roads where cars pass close. Sometimes I wish I had a pocket full of marbles.
Ever heard of "ninja rocks"? [evil grin]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rocks
However, in my experience, close calls always happen so quickly, and w/o warning, that I would be surprised if anyone would be able to react quickly enough to use them.
Old 08-26-20, 12:31 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Any of you heard of Mahatma Gandhi, or Martin Luther King Jr.
Retaliating with violent actions or words with what is perhaps an unintentional breach of road etiquette is not going to win you any friends, or convince the target of your anger that they made a mistake. Worse still, law enforcement now has evidence and a witness to a misdemeanor (remember that traffic citations usually don't rise to even that level) which you committed.

Close passes are dangerous and reckless, but responding with aggression doesn't make it better.
Old 08-26-20, 12:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Why do you have to swear in your video? very immature
I don't think he cussed enough. I'd have let out a tourettes like tirade. I enjoy my immaturity.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-26-20, 12:33 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I understand the anger you felt as someone chose to risk your life rather than move their steering wheel another 8 degrees counter-clockwise; did you expect a different outcome? No
What a stupid question! What was I getting at there?
Old 08-26-20, 12:42 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by unca_sam
what a stupid question! What was i getting at there?
lol
Old 08-26-20, 12:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Any of you heard of Mahatma Gandhi, or Martin Luther King Jr.
Retaliating with violent actions or words with what is perhaps an unintentional breach of road etiquette is not going to win you any friends, or convince the target of your anger that they made a mistake. Worse still, law enforcement now has evidence and a witness to a misdemeanor (remember that traffic citations usually don't rise to even that level) which you committed.

Close passes are dangerous and reckless, but responding with aggression doesn't make it better.
Sorry to say ... I'm not clear on "my misdemeanor" in this clip?
Old 08-26-20, 12:56 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
98% of traffic is responsible for over 30,000 traffic DEATHS each year, not to mention injuries, pollution, greenhouse emissions, massive carbon footprint to boot, traffic violations OUT THE WAZOO, ETC., and you don't want to piss off THE MULTI-TON GORILLA OPPRESSOR IN THE ROOM?!!!!!!

Oh, Moi-tle
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 08-26-20, 12:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Sorry to say ... I'm not clear on "my misdemeanor" in this clip?
You didn't commit such an offense. Retaliating in some of the ways suggested would be.
Old 08-26-20, 12:58 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

You didn't commit such an offense. Retaliating in some of the ways suggested would be.
OH! Sorry, I wasn't following along (I'm stuck in never-ending conference call and posting to BF ... my bad)
Old 08-26-20, 01:31 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I always use the trail when I ride thru the Mills for that exact reason. But I'm usually crossing that intersection to go north on Plymouth rather than ride along Mtka. And Minnetonka PD only cares about giving tickets to cyclist, not protecting cyclist. I've had the conversation with the police chief and my council member and it is clear in talking to them that cyclist are the problem.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-26-20, 01:52 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by RGMN
I always use the trail when I ride thru the Mills for that exact reason. But I'm usually crossing that intersection to go north on Plymouth rather than ride along Mtka. And Minnetonka PD only cares about giving tickets to cyclist, not protecting cyclist. I've had the conversation with the police chief and my council member and it is clear in talking to them that cyclist are the problem.
I use the trail often, but not when riding one of my road bikes.

I agree with your route choice, if I was turning up Plymouth Rd, I wouldn't make a left from Mtka Blvd, no way!

If you want to talk with PD that really doesn't like people biking on the road ... call the Wayzata PD.
Old 08-26-20, 01:55 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

For those that want more, can't image why, but here you go

I'm wish I were more composed while talking ... but I wasn't my best a that moment.
Old 08-26-20, 02:07 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but It appears the three riders up to your right optioned to stay off the busy street. Is that an option.
Old 08-26-20, 03:24 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I hate to be "that guy" but It appears the three riders up to your right optioned to stay off the busy street. Is that an option.
That was addressed in the post above the second video. The trail is limestone, I avoid the trail with my road bikes. And most importantly, bikes have the right to use this road.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-26-20, 04:47 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
I use the trail often, but not when riding one of my road bikes.

I agree with your route choice, if I was turning up Plymouth Rd, I wouldn't make a left from Mtka Blvd, no way!

If you want to talk with PD that really doesn't like people biking on the road ... call the Wayzata PD.
If I'm going to ride Minnetonka Blvd I usually stay on Minnetonka Dr to the right turn on Elm, take the informal entrance to the LRT trail, ride the couple hundred yards to Shady Oak on the trail, then hop back on Minnetonka Blvd just to avoid the area. 4 lanes, cars turning into the businesses, and the lower speed limit just seem to encourage bad driving in the area. And I don't mind riding the limestone trails on my road bike. YMMV

And I know what you mean about the Wayzata PD. Had one of their finest lecture me about stopping at stop signs as I was stopped at a stop sign.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-27-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
For those that want more, can't image why, but here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4aCAHNQBU

I'm wish I were more composed while talking ... but I wasn't my best a that moment.

Gotta say, in NH, I wouldn't even find that pass remarkable. 3 feet is the law, but I expect to get passed closer than that at least once a ride. I grew up in Minnesota and spent about 10 years riding bikes in California. The drivers here are more aggressive than anywhere else I've ever ridden. I had major culture shock when I started riding in NH in the early 2000s.

And I do yell back, I never said I was Gandhi.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-20, 07:07 AM
amaramartin

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ugh ... I find it stressful to call the police to report a traffic violation. More often than not, I end up educating the officer about laws for riding a bike on the roads. Sometimes I have a receptive officer other times they are openly dismissive. I have no expectation of a citation for the driver, I do ask the PD to call the owner of the vehicle and inform them that a bike is a legal vehicle on the road and that 3 feet is the minimum required space while passing. Today's officer was receptive but I needed to have statutes in front of me, since he was unaware of them. .... just needed to vent it out a little.

Since this is BF ... I know this could get into a few rabbitholes, so I'll share additional information: Statute 169.18, Subdivision 3: (3) the operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or individual proceeding in the same direction on the roadway shall leave a safe distance, but in no case less than three feet clearance, when passing the bicycle or individual and shall maintain clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

Bicyclists are considered traffic based on Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 84 and have the same rights and responsibilities applicable to the driver of a vehicle according to Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 1.
Minnesota Statute 169.011 states: "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.
Reference: https://www.bikemn.org/education/min...20a%20roadway.

GoPro video of the pass that got me to call the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKAc0HId6g

Postscript: just talked to the officer again. He contacted the driver, who claimed I was weaving unpredictably. Sadly the officer had no interest in the video which clearly shows no weaving. The only good take away from this effort is two more people are aware that 3 feet are required when passing a person using a bike on the road.

Good, you called the police but sad video didn't matter to them. Well, I appreciate you sharing here.
Likes For amaramartin:
Old 08-27-20, 07:08 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Gotta love the “you are blocking traffic” admonition, while blocking traffic! Thanks for the laugh!!!
Likes For sarhog:
Old 08-27-20, 08:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by sarhog
Gotta love the “you are blocking traffic” admonition, while blocking traffic! Thanks for the laugh!!!
I have made this point to people that stop in traffic lanes to 'talk' with me many times. It's ironic that the person that feels inconvenienced a person biking in a traffic lane, but are just fine actually stop in the lane forcing traffic to stop behind them.

I hope I understand you correctly ... but just to be clear, while biking on the road, I am not blocking traffic, I was traffic. The person in the Accord decided to stop in the traffic lane, that was blocking traffic.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-01-20 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-20, 08:13 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I have made this point to people that stop in traffic lanes to 'talk' with me many times. It's ironic that the person that feels inconvenienced a person biking in a traffic lane, but are just fine actually stop in the lane forcing traffic to stop behind them.

I hope I understand you correctly ... but just to be clear, while biking on the road, I am blocking traffic, I was traffic. The person in the Accord decided to stop in the traffic lane, that was blocking traffic.
I’m referring to you, stopped next to the Honda....blocking traffic. He is blocking traffic, but you apparently believe that, since you’re scolding him about his prior behavior, that your “stopped in traffic” is somehow more righteous than his.
Old 08-27-20, 08:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by sarhog
I’m referring to you, stopped next to the Honda....blocking traffic. He is blocking traffic, but you apparently believe that, since you’re scolding him about his prior behavior, that your “stopped in traffic” is somehow more righteous than his.
Too funny, "righteous". If the person driving the Honda didn't stop in front of me, I won't have stopped. And I was the one to notice the cars stopped behind us and instructed him to move along. I am not righteous, I'm pissed off - as stated above, I wasn't at my best.

But hey, have fun seeing it however you want ... I don't give a ****
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-27-20, 08:37 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
That would never have happened to me.
1) I avoid roads like that when I'm JRA because they are terrible for cycling
2) On the rare brief occasions I do ride on roads like that, I take the whole lane so a close pass is impossible
3) I wouldn't have stopped for so long at that red light. I go as soon as it's clear. From what I saw in the video, I probably wouldn't have stopped at all.
4) If I do get a close pass, I just keep riding, no harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. It's not my job to educate drivers who don't care anyway.
5) If a driver stopped to confront me I would have just ridden right by. I have nothing to gain from a confrontation with a driver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.