Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Junk Miles

Old 09-16-20, 07:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes, it's 93 minutes, but entirely worth it if one might be interested in serious training.

For the subject of this thread, Seiler's "junk miles" would be anything between VT1 and VT2, which is the range where many riders wind up spending most of their time.
That's not serious training, that's a methodology of training. One that's simply not useful for the majority of people, nor followed by hardly anyone, period.

As I've said numerous, numerous times, there's a reason hardly anyone actually does that type of training. It just isn't as efficient for nearly everyone not riding 15+ hours a week. And those that it would work for are likely so talented that anything would work.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-16-20, 08:13 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
For the subject of this thread, Seiler's "junk miles" would be anything between VT1 and VT2, which is the range where many riders wind up spending most of their time.
These guys https://www.strava.com/activities/3811732887 need a new coach. Typical training ride getting ready for race season. The Strava ride is worth looking at for the scenery but also note that every climb was done right in the middle of zone 2 solid SST territory. All of those guys are riding well at the moment.

Likes For gregf83:
Old 09-16-20, 09:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
These guys https://www.strava.com/activities/3811732887 need a new coach. Typical training ride getting ready for race season. The Strava ride is worth looking at for the scenery but also note that every climb was done right in the middle of zone 2 solid SST territory. All of those guys are riding well at the moment.
Well yes of course. That's a totally proven training method and exactly what I've done for the past 20 years, and got decently fast doing it, for my age that is. But this year, I'm going to experiment and go polarized, now that I understand it better. I'll let y'all know next July if I'm still the fastest geezer around. This was a horrible summer for me, couldn't ride at all, zero, since March. Then sciatica so bad I could hardly walk. But exercise helps a lot. Just got back from a 10-day backpack with my wife in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. HR in zone 1 the whole way, legs hurting like the devil. It's interesting, like doing 1000 relatively light 1-legged quarter squats/day, one per out breath. We've been hiking and backpacking together for 45 years but are not getting younger, dammit. I've now ridden 3 zone 1 roller rides, woooopeee. Butt hurts. Hope the saddle sore isn't coming back. You see what I'm getting at: massive base is now required.
Old 09-16-20, 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's not serious training, that's a methodology of training. One that's simply not useful for the majority of people, nor followed by hardly anyone, period.

As I've said numerous, numerous times, there's a reason hardly anyone actually does that type of training. It just isn't as efficient for nearly everyone not riding 15+ hours a week. And those that it would work for are likely so talented that anything would work.
Efficient w/r to time, certainly not. There's a reason CTS' time-crunched routines are what they are. Results in the long term might be another matter. I hope to find out by next July. Pity that one can't do the hard group ride, my first love, with PT. Maybe I'll start a LD zone 1 group next year. Or not, Group rides with no beer at the end aren't much fun.
Old 09-17-20, 04:07 AM
rubiksoval

Efficient w/r to time, certainly not. There's a reason CTS' time-crunched routines are what they are. Results in the long term might be another matter. I hope to find out by next July.Pity that one can't do the hard group ride, my first love, with PT. Maybe I'll start a LD zone 1 group next year. Or not, Group rides with no beer at the end aren't much fun.
CTS is ****.

Next July isn't really long term.

It seems the epitome of silliness to forgo something you enjoy to try a methodology that has little to no real-world application. That'd be quite sad.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-17-20, 10:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
CTS is ****.

Next July isn't really long term.

It seems the epitome of silliness to forgo something you enjoy to try a methodology that has little to no real-world application. That'd be quite sad.
IIRC, you got me interested in this in the first place. A while back, when I was having trouble establishing a credible FTP, I believe you opined that my issue was that too much of my power throughout what is supposed to be my aerobic range, has been coming from my anaerobic system. This is a problem which seems to afflict many endurance athletes after a number of years, causing them to stagnate. That's the problem which Seiler is attempting to address. He advocates very high volume, i.e. "ride lots" which of course can only be done by keeping intensity down, down below the onset of anaerobic energy usage, and hence a possible solution to my problem.

My understanding is that by keeping long term effort, say for 1-3 hours, below the level at which HR drift at steady power begins to occur, one is minimizing anaerobic system participation, and thus lactate accumulation. Do you think this is correct? IOW, no HR drift is how one knows one's effort is really zone 1, regardless of percentages of whatever. I would expect that power level limit to very gradually increase. Correct? Seiler was bragging that he can now do 2 hour zone 1 trainer rides at steady power with zero HR drift and now he's shooting for 3 hours. Of course he's still just a kid at 53.
Old 09-17-20, 12:17 PM
rubiksoval

IIRC, you got me interested in this in the first place. A while back, when I was having trouble establishing a credible FTP, I believe you opined that my issue was that too much of my power throughout what is supposed to be my aerobic range, has been coming from my anaerobic system. This is a problem which seems to afflict many endurance athletes after a number of years, causing them to stagnate. .
I don't think so. That doesn't sound like a comment I'd make.

There's pretty much nothing about that methodology that I think is useful or practical.
Likes For rubiksoval: