Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Trying to work out wattage and what a standard road bike requires

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Trying to work out wattage and what a standard road bike requires

Old 08-28-20, 11:48 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You have a bizarre idea of what constitutes a workout. If you're capable of pedaling a bike on your own, but you add assistance purely so you go faster, then you've lost the whole "workout" concept and have simply turned it into a moto ride. I can understand the commute aspect and needing to get to work, but your claims of riding 220-240 miles a week simply aren't true, and your apparent need to rip around at 24-26 mph is, again, ridiculous.

Obviously you can think that's good if you want. I think it's a farce and a danger.
when I got my e bike I was so sick all I could do was spin the peddles. it took me over two months before I could put effort into peddling without wobbling when I got off the bike. I went from needing the max assist level to close the the lowest assist level. that took daily riding from nov to today. I never missed a day or riding till we crashed on our tandem and I had to skip a couple days. I seldom go that fast and its only early in the morning when I was late to work. I never take chances I am getting too old to want to suffer the pain. it is a workout to me I I do 35 minutes 9.5 makes twice a day then 10 or more miles on the tandem after I get home 30 to 40 each day on the weekend. and just so you don't think I am lying (yes that's something you really should not be saying here is the strava to show it. I almost always ride on the road at 22 o so mph. my rides are not super hard I still don't have the energy for that but they are hard enough to get my heart rate up around 130 or so, I would love to see how you do on my restrictive diet. al lI can eat is protein not too much fat and veggies a few times a week. I cant eat any carbs at all. on my two bikes fron nov to today I have over 6500 miles. I can also show you the odometers on both bikes if you still doubt me.

Old 08-28-20, 12:26 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
just so you don't think I am lying (yes that's something you really should not be saying here is the strava to show it. I almost always ride on the road at 22 o so mph. my rides are not super hard I still don't have the energy for that but they are hard enough to get my heart rate up around 130 or so, I would love to see how you do on my restrictive diet. al lI can eat is protein not too much fat and veggies a few times a week. I cant eat any carbs at all. on my two bikes fron nov to today I have over 6500 miles. I can also show you the odometers on both bikes if you still doubt me.
That has nothing to do with the point of you wanting to go at excessive speeds when you don't have the skills or experience to do so, especially on multiuse trails.

You talk about just being able to ride, but the entire point of your thread was for you to figure out how you can go 20 mph. It takes work. Years and years of work.

You might surprise yourself with an unassisted bike...
Old 08-28-20, 12:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That has nothing to do with the point of you wanting to go at excessive speeds when you don't have the skills or experience to do so, especially on multiuse trails.

You talk about just being able to ride, but the entire point of your thread was for you to figure out how you can go 20 mph. It takes work. Years and years of work.

You might surprise yourself with an unassisted bike...
I Don't usually go that fast and if I do its when its clear. but it is kinda of fun. but I have to crank up the level assist and I don't want to do that. and what makes you think I have not ridden before? I put around 15,000 on a road bike and my recumbent before I got too sick to ride. almost all of it this same commute. I know about working on a bike. but now my body does not work right I don't have a normal amount of energy. just last year it was all I could do to walk up a flight of stars after work. I got the e bike so I could ride instead of using an electric scooter. it saved my life without exercise my body was just getting worse. all I have to keep me healthy is strict control of what I eat and exercise. but it took months of just spinning before I could put any effort into peddling. I hope in a day or two to get more of an idea how how many watts I can sustain it. I think its around 190 watts. Riding an acoustic bike makes my commute 15 minutes longer and worse if I am carrying groceries. a few days when I was feeling good I could ride 22mph on the road with almost no assist. but the last month or so I have not been advancing as much. but I am also riding more miles and I may be at my energy limit. I mean I get up at 5:45 eat breakfast hop on the bike ride to work 9.5 miles run some errands during lunch sometimes 6 miles hop on the bike ride home eat dinner then go out on the tandem 10 or more miles. I do that 5 to 6 says a week. Then on Sunday we do a longer ride 45 miles was the longest so far. I need to know how much power I put out because when I feel good the same level of assist feels way too much and when I feel bad it is just enough. I want to know how much is me and how much is the bike. but my e bike makes the commute I have done for 5 years before this bike fun again I actually look forward to riding each day rain or shine as as long as there is no ice or snow I ride every single day. I have been sick for so long I don't even know what normal levels of energy are. I don't think most people can do a 80 rpm cadence if they have not ridden a lot and not on a e bike.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 08-28-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 07:42 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, that would mean that you're doing +4W/kg constantly, every day. You should be getting paid to ride with those kinds of numbers.

I'mma just gonna hang out over here in reality, where my level of "training" brings a 20mph day around every once in awhile.
Old 09-01-20, 07:59 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, that would mean that you're doing +4W/kg constantly, every day. You should be getting paid to ride with those kinds of numbers.

I'mma just gonna hang out over here in reality, where my level of "training" brings a 20mph day around every once in awhile.
I can do 20 for short amounts of time but with a bike that weights 52 pounds with no locks or groceries and not a flat road in sight. its too much. I just want an idea of how much work I am doing verses how much the bike is doing s oI know when I am improving.
Old 09-01-20, 08:06 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Wanna know what you can do on a bike without a motor? Ride a bike without a motor. <ANY> measured speed on an E-Bike is meaningless in the context of physical ability.

There's an old dude on a Juiced around here that grabs KOMs all day, riding on race routes. I'm gonna say the bike is a big (huge) part of that.
Old 09-01-20, 10:43 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I did it in less than 3 months. Simultaneous training on the bike, core muscle workouts, and flexibility training.

I'm actualy cruising at those speeds in a 40 lbs MTB with wide, knobby tires. I've adopted an accelerated training program in the hopes of racing by next year, in a CX or gravel bike, hopefully.
Of course you did.

Yes. Go do a race. Then report back.
Old 09-01-20, 10:44 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

He's been riding for three months, trains 3x a day, 20+ hours a week. Look for him in Tokyo next year, for sure.
Old 09-01-20, 02:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

As the kidz would say on the interwebz, GAINZ

I see one of two possible outcomes: he's either in the Tokyo Games come next summer, or his "training regimen" has him blow up like a balloon with a grenade in it. 50/50.
Old 09-02-20, 08:09 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can do 20 for short amounts of time but with a bike that weights 52 pounds with no locks or groceries and not a flat road in sight. its too much. I just want an idea of how much work I am doing verses how much the bike is doing s oI know when I am improving.
The first photo you posted showed a readout and one of the cells was “Avg User Power 135w” That’s how much work you are doing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-07-20, 10:01 AM
fooferdoggie 

Finally felt good and got to see how much I could work. a pretty good day for me. I learned to turn off the motor when I am on a downslope but I have to get into the habit of always changing assist mode. I found I cant get enough workout in the Tour mode I usually use unless I got maybe 25mph that's too fast on the street and hard to do, so instead of the 18mph average I only got 15.9 but I worked harder. so on eco mode I will be slower but I can get a better workout. dropping from eco to off is not bad but dropping from tour to eco is a huge difference. Now I only use tour for steeper hills.

Old 09-18-20, 09:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am wondering how much wattage does it take to keep a road bike at 20 mph if someone weighs 250. that would be pretty close to me and my bike weight .
I'll emphasize, it's not the bike that determines how much wattage it takes at 20 mph. Some amount, sure, but it's small compared to the terrain and your position on the bike. So there's no satisfactory answer to your question.
Old 09-18-20, 10:45 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll emphasize, it's not the bike that determines how much wattage it takes at 20 mph. Some amount, sure, but it's small compared to the terrain and your position on the bike. So there's no satisfactory answer to your question.
yes I am now learning that. I see a lot of change with just a 1% to 2% grade change. it has shown me I need to change assist levels on a regular basis to keep my wattage up o even turn it off going down hills. but Now with the new display I know how much is me and how much the bike is doing. and if I want to get a good workout I ether have to go about 24mph with the next to lowest level of assist or around 18mph on the eco mode. I loose a couple mph on my average if I want a better workout.
Old 09-19-20, 08:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
yes I am now learning that. I see a lot of change with just a 1% to 2% grade change. it has shown me I need to change assist levels on a regular basis to keep my wattage up o even turn it off going down hills. but Now with the new display I know how much is me and how much the bike is doing. and if I want to get a good workout I ether have to go about 24mph with the next to lowest level of assist or around 18mph on the eco mode. I loose a couple mph on my average if I want a better workout.
That's really pretty cool. You can indulge in speed or taking a break uphill, while keeping your own power steady if you want to.
Old 09-19-20, 09:52 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's really pretty cool. You can indulge in speed or taking a break uphill, while keeping your own power steady if you want to.
yes and if I don't feel well I can still keep the pace. and my body doesn't to work right and I doubt I will ever have normal energy it lets me go as fast as needed. but bad part is my bike weights 52 pounds so I cant ride much with no power. Plus the difference between tour its 100% assist and eco is 25% its a big power jump and slow me down till I get a fair amount stronger.