Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help needed - building up a gravel hardtail

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 03:36 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to get a Merida hardtail Carbon frame and am thinking of building up a light bike for gravel riding and a bit of shortish backpacking. I already have some Stans crest carbon wheels and am thinking of an XT drivetrain and brakes.
Appreciate any thoughts on the forks, bars (flat) and tyres! Thankyou.
Old 10-23-20, 05:42 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Lots of tyres out there. Depends on the width and tread you're chasing for certain surfaces.

e.g. the tubeless 44mm ReneHerse filetread weigh around 330gm. (1mm thinner at the center than their other filetread offerings).

At the moment am trying out the 375gm Furious Fred at 45.5mm (narrower alternative to similar tread height/pattern on 2.1" Thunder Burt liteskin).
Old 10-23-20, 06:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ill just toss out there that flat bars become the devil for me after a couple hours.

If your bikepacking is so shortish its under a couple hours, Id be good with a flat bar, but otherwise I would look at something with some shape to it that offers multiple hand and body angle positions.
Old 10-23-20, 11:16 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Lots of tyres out there. Depends on the width and tread you're chasing for certain surfaces.

e.g. the tubeless 44mm ReneHerse filetread weigh around 330gm. (1mm thinner at the center than their other filetread offerings).

At the moment am trying out the 375gm Furious Fred at 45.5mm (narrower alternative to similar tread height/pattern on 2.1" Thunder Burt liteskin).
I have those two. They are great gravel tires.

I'll say the TB is probably as fast as anything out there on pure gravel. If its mixed pavement and gravel, the FF is going to pull ahead on the road, especially in the turns. The TB has low rolling resistance, and if I'm just going in a straight line on a MUP, its faster than I would think. Those corner blocks really change the handling on pavement though. The FF feels a lot like a road tire on pavement.
Old 10-23-20, 12:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Jones bars!
  • Many hand positions
  • Ability to strap gear to it
  • Room for lights, Garmin, bell, etc.
  • Jones handlebar pack available and very useful
  • Butted aluminum version is reasonably light at 520 g
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-23-20, 12:49 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by chas58
I have those two. They are great gravel tires.

I'll say the TB is probably as fast as anything out there on pure gravel. If its mixed pavement and gravel, the FF is going to pull ahead on the road, especially in the turns. The TB has low rolling resistance, and if I'm just going in a straight line on a MUP, its faster than I would think. Those corner blocks really change the handling on pavement though. The FF feels a lot like a road tire on pavement.

Thanks Tangerine and Chas - will look at the FF given it will be a mix of pavement and gravel I will be riding. Tangerine be great to hear your thoughts on the tyre once you’ve finished your trial. I was also thinking about gravelkings?
Old 10-23-20, 12:52 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ill just toss out there that flat bars become the devil for me after a couple hours.

If your bikepacking is so shortish its under a couple hours, Id be good with a flat bar, but otherwise I would look at something with some shape to it that offers multiple hand and body angle positions.
Thanks - I should have mentioned in the original post I was going to try the SQLabs Innerbarends with the flat bars - that gives some flexibility for hand position.
Old 10-23-20, 12:59 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by Rolla
Jones bars!
  • Many hand positions
Thanks for the suggestion Rolla - I’ll have a closer look at them (I’ve always wanted to try them) but they feel a bit overkill for the normal riding I’ll be doing (1-3 hours with an occasional day ride).

Last edited by Murf58; 10-23-20 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-23-20, 03:36 PM
tangerineowl

the Satori Deviant Bow Carbon bar from Taiwan has some backsweep+rise and is a good price and weight. I use their carbon flared dropbar.

Re fork options, the old 3T Luteus clears a 29x2.1+ and is a good weight. They came in qr and thru-axle. Sometimes they pop up secondhand or on discount.

I like the svelte Spork3 also. The Fairlight Cempa fork is another lightweight but out of stock at the moment.

https://bikepacking.com/index/forks-...e-cage-mounts/

Last edited by tangerineowl; 10-23-20 at 03:53 PM. Reason: txt
Old 10-24-20, 02:25 AM
Murf58

the Satori Deviant Bow Carbon bar from Taiwan has some backsweep+rise and is a good price and weight. I use their carbon flared dropbar.

Re fork options, the old 3T Luteus clears a 29x2.1+ and is a good weight. They came in qr and thru-axle. Sometimes they pop up secondhand or on discount.

I like the svelte Spork3 also. The Fairlight Cempa fork is another lightweight but out of stock at the moment.
I like the look of those 3T forks - thanks! I haven’t decided yet whether I will go with a rigid fork or a 100mm suspension fork.
I will check out some reviews on those satori bars - thankyou.
Old 10-24-20, 10:27 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Jones bars!
  • Many hand positions
Great choice.

I use them on my Blackborow and my son has them on his Bridge Club. Excellent hand positions and plenty of real estate to strap bags/rods as needed.
Likes For gomango:
Old 10-25-20, 02:27 AM
tangerineowl

Furious Fred review:-

Today's ride was fairly flat overall, across small gravel over hardpack. Dry conditions.

Never really got the chance to rail long corners on these; mostly straight line stuff.

Pretty happy with them across these conditions and on sealed roads, which they roll across at a pretty good speed for what they are.

Only having a 1mm? knob height in the center, they're never going to have the greatest grip climbing steeper stuff I suppose.

At steady speeds they hold a line pretty well. At high speed (40km+) they can start to slide around a bit when hitting softer sections.