Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve 3 Women's versus Trek Shift 3 Women's

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-14-15, 09:45 AM
lowcountrybird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am getting back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus. I am doing this for fitness and health reasons. I also have a couple of weak discs in my lower back which seems to be driving me toward comfort style bikes. I started working out at the gym but want some fun cardio added to the mix and hate gym spinning cycles. I plan to ride on pavement and some unpaved but compacted earth trails and light gravel. Mostly pavement though.

I tried the Trek Shift 2 but would order the 3, the Trek Verve 3 (a too small version was available for test ride but still liked it), and then I also tried the Bianchi Torino that I really liked.

The thing about the Bianchi is it is quite bumpy if you go slightly off road like on grass verge by a paved bike path. While I would be on pavement most of the time I want the option to go on easy gravel trails or compacted dirt roads/paths.

I like both Trek bikes. The gel seat was a nice addition to the Verve. I think if I got the Verve I'd have to upgrade to a 700 x 38c tire instead of the 700 x 35c that comes with it to get a tire that would have more grip on unpaved paths.

Alternatively the Shift 3 tires are 26 inch 2 inch wide tires. They do have a smooth middle surface giving you a smooth ride on the road, but then the width and tread on the outside should help on unpaved trails.

Anyone have any thoughts pro or con to the Verve or the Shift?

And if anyone has the Bianchi Torino, I'd love to hear more. That bike was beautiful and a pleasure to ride on the pavement. I am just worried about performance on light/easy gravel or hard dirt paths.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Shift 3. I expect it will be a bit heavier than the Verve due to the tires but hopefully not too much to be a problem lifting it up on a rack.

Thanks much for any input.
Old 09-15-15, 10:43 AM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was looking at those bikes last year, it seemed to me the only difference between the Shift and Verve was the wheel size. I think you'll find more options in terms of size/tread if you go with a 700c tire vs. the 26" on the shift, but ultimately if you prefer one size over the other that's what should make your decision.
Old 09-16-15, 07:58 AM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
mwl001 has the right of it. The primary - and really, the only - difference between the Verve and Shift is wheel size. The Verve will roll faster, while the Shift will offer more cushion (and, potentially, better grip on dirt or gravel, though different tire options exist for both).
Old 09-16-15, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My LBS sells Trek , Any component parts are potentially changed if you prefer something else ,

like a different saddle .. it's No big thing.
Old 09-17-15, 07:18 PM
george25923

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Shift 3 that I bought in Sept 2014 and have put about 4300 miles on it since then. In August 2015 I bought a Verve 3 and I have about 400 miles on it.
The Shift is a little heavier but rides very nice. Most of my rides on it are about 40-50 miles 3 days a week. The Verve is a little lighter, slightly easier to go up hills, accelerates slightly faster and is slightly more agile. It is easier to lift. I really have yet to go on any surface that the Verve could not handle, grass, hard dirt roads or hard packed gravel. I got the Verve 3 thinking my average speed would be higher and i could to on longer, mile wise rides. I've only had it a month and thus far it is not that much faster than the Shift 3. Both have pluses and minuses. The Shift has nicer trigger shifters. But the Verve's are OK too. The Verve seat is nicer for long rides but I will probably replace it soon. I ride the Shift on the beach at low tide and it is probably better there than the Verve but I'm not going to ride the Verve on the beach to find out for sure. I put fenders on the Shift so if the weather looks bad, or it just rained many inches recently, I ride the Shift. Other wise I ride the Verve. Both are very nice bikes.
Hope this helps and do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions. I started riding again in May 2014 on a Diamondback from Dick's, then the Treks. If I did it all over again I would probably buy the Verve 3 in the beginning. But then I would not be able to ride on the beach which is very nice. So right now I'm happy.
Sorry my response took so long but it has been a busy couple of days.
Em
Old 10-04-20, 09:11 AM
jbaker54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have Shift 3s and love them, looking for a 16.5 ladies Shift 3 for my 25 yr old daughter.

Anyone know any place I might find one for sale?

Appreciate any help. I’m a newbie here