Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2017 Sirrus expert carbon X1

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-25-17, 12:09 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New bike day pics comming soon.

Picked it up from Trailwerks Cyclery in Annapolis. only had 5 minutes to ride before we had a monsoon roll through the area. first time I have ever ridden a really light bike, I had ridden the aluminum version of this bike just to check sizing. all I can say is I am impressed. I felt like superman pedaling this bike. and it feels so sure footed in tight turns. I am impressed. hard to tell until I ride long distance but so far seat, handlbars felt comfortable. I have had 2 specialized before, never had to change the saddle. I have ended up changing the handlebars on every bike I have owned, but this one I may be ok, no way to tell until I have been on a 2hr+ ride. Best part was carrying it into the townhouse with 1 hand. so nice.

unfortunately I am traveling so I wont get a chance to ride this weekend. but I am very happy so far, I have no regrets. this is the bike for me.

Last edited by axxman; 05-25-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 12:23 PM
s2000zr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you have to pay full price? $2000 plus tax. Rumors that the 2018 will be announce in June. But I call specialized, they said August. I don't know if I can wait that long or get it now and how much discount on the 17 when the 18 comes out
Old 05-25-17, 05:28 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes it was full price. I threatened my mechanic with bodily injury if he was BSing me. he said the x1 is so limited they know they will sell all of them, when I ordered a week ago there were 14 left in my size.
Old 05-25-17, 05:34 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, photos comming in a few, just need to make some quick notes:
2017 Specialized Expert Carbon X1

XPEDO Silver Aluminum pedals

Brakes
BLM506 this is for anyone wondering about the brake lever model. it is Ispec B compatible, I am ordering the Problem Solvers Mis Match adaptor so I can get rid of the shifter clamp. UPDATE: Received the Mismatch adaptor however, once installed the shifter was too difficult to reach.
BRM447 calipers.

Bike weight brand new with pedals and nothing else.

SRAM Shifter

Front Crank and XPEDO Pedal

Waterbottle cage, Specialized flat black to match room for a second cage or????

Drivetrain photo

Installed a Quadlock adaptor Update, removed, did not like how it fit or looked, ordering their bar mount. to be continued

Last edited by axxman; 05-30-17 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 06:53 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
due to the shape of the stem, it is not possible to mount the quadlock on the stem, so I mounted on the handlebars but I think I am going to order the handlebar mount, it is too easy to rotate it around the handlebars. it is secure but it can move.
***UPDATE***sending this one back and getting the clamp mount.

Update received the new Quad Lock mount today still waiting on the phone case.

I , Received my Knog bell fits in perfectly.

On a sad note, I had to give up on the mismatch adaptor, it puts the levers out of reach for me.

Last edited by axxman; 05-31-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 07:11 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch, pics not working...

Dropbox sucks for images on forums now...
Old 05-25-17, 07:45 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry, they were showing up on my computer fine, I guess, I need to find another way. lemme try flicker

update, ok, I loaded the photos to flickr, could someone let me know if they can see them?

Last edited by axxman; 05-25-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 07:56 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very nice bike !

Thanks for posting the weight link pic, I've been wondering what they "really" weighed. I've been told they were 23 pounds, I don't have a whole lot of trust in my local Specialized LBS, they've told me a few other things I later found weren't true.

EDIT: I forgot the X1 doesn't have a front derailleur, shifter, or double front chainring, while those don't weigh 2 pounds, they definitely would put the Expert Carbon bike north of 21 pounds.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 05-25-17 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 08:08 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Very nice bike !

Thanks for posting the weight link pic, I've been wondering what they "really" weighed. I've been told they were 23 pounds, I don't have a whole lot of trust in my local Specialized LBS, they've told me a few other things I later found weren't true.
Thx. headed to FL tommorrow I have a house in Citrus Cty. but I work up here in MD.

this is for a Medium frame bike with aluminum flat pedals, I am sure you could get under 21 lbs with some light pedals or changeing the cranks to something lighter. but for me, it is lighter than I thought it would be, I carry it up the stairs into my townhouse and through the front door. my other bikes are 30+ lbs not so easy.
Old 05-25-17, 08:31 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman
ok, photos comming in a few, just need to make some quick notes:
2017 Specialized Expert Carbon X1

XPEDO Silver Aluminum pedals

Brakes
BLM506 this is for anyone wondering about the brake lever model. it is Ispec B compatible, I am ordering the Problem Solvers Mis Match adaptor so I can get rid of the shifter clamp.
BRM447 calipers.

Bike weight brand new with pedals and nothing else.

SRAM Shifter

Front Crank and XPEDO Pedal

Waterbottle cage, Specialized flat black to match room for a second cage or????

Drivetrain photo

Installed a Quadlock adaptor

Congrats.

Those Sirrus' are such gorgeous bikes.
Old 05-25-17, 08:34 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Congrats.

Those Sirrus' are such gorgeous bikes.
Thank you Colonel. could you please let me know if you are able to see the photos, I had a problem earlier and had to re-host them with Flickr
Old 05-25-17, 08:40 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice bike !

EDIT: I forgot the X1 doesn't have a front derailleur, shifter, or double front chainring, while those don't weigh 2 pounds, they definitely would put the Expert Carbon bike north of 21 pounds.
I know what you mean about the bike store, here in MD, actually annapolis I have a really good LBS that only deals in specialized. the mechanic is very experienced, 17+ years. they are mostly a mountain bike store which is fine with me, most of the other stores in the area cater primarily to the spandex crowd. I have bought 2 bikes from them, my Stumpjumper carbon full suspension and this one. they have been great servicing my mountain bike. and they are the only place I will trust with this one.

only accessories I plan to add are the fenders and some small lights, a bell and the quad lock for my iphone. and a small saddle bag hopfully I can keep it under 23lbs fully loaded.
Old 05-25-17, 08:43 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Thank you Colonel. could you please let me know if you are able to see the photos, I had a problem earlier and had to re-host them with Flickr

Yes I can see the photo's, it looks like Flickr is working well.
Old 05-25-17, 08:50 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you coming down for Cooter Fest ?

Pics are working, nice looking bike !
Old 05-25-17, 08:52 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you coming down for Cooter Fest ?

Pics are working, nice looking bike !
Dont know what cooter fest is, I come down to check on my house every so often. I usually ride the santos trails on my 1999 trek 4500 mountain bike.
Old 05-25-17, 09:15 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dont know what cooter fest is, I come down to check on my house every so often. I usually ride the santos trails on my 1999 trek 4500 mountain bike.
Cooter Fest is a annual turtle festival in Inverness, they get quite the crowd.

Have you ever rode the Withalachochee Trail ? Its very nice and scenic, but can get a bit boring if you're riding alone.

Rails To Trails of the Withlacoochee - supports the 46 mile recreation trail for biking, skating and horseback riding. With Trails Heads in Inverness, Hernando, Floral City, and Dunnellon.
Old 05-25-17, 09:29 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cooter Fest is a annual turtle festival in Inverness, they get quite the crowd.

Have you ever rode the Withalachochee Trail ? Its very nice and scenic, but can get a bit boring if you're riding alone.

Rails To Trails of the Withlacoochee - supports the 46 mile recreation trail for biking, skating and horseback riding. With Trails Heads in Inverness, Hernando, Floral City, and Dunnellon.
thanks Scooty, I have ridden parts of the withaloochie, I will check it out. I am in Beverly Hills, it goes right by.
Old 05-25-17, 09:43 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
congrats, and the photos are there!
Old 05-25-17, 10:12 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, photos are fixed, nice one!

And yep, certainly looks the part. Frame is no different to mine but I love seeing these bikes! The 1X setup is also very, very clean (mine is 2x11).

Suggestion for the second bottle cage mount: ABUS 6000 Folding Bike Lock - I'm getting one soon, not perfect but I don't think any lock is.

Those pedals look awesome, I'm going to look them up - was training my sights on a set of Shimano Saint pedals, will consider these as well.

So the seat is stock? The Phenom Comp? It looks nice and aggressive.

And finally, does (one of?) your headset spacers have notches on either side? It seems so from one of your pics. I'm trying to get my hands on one but Specialized tell me they don't sell it as a spare part. If you have a close up photo that would be great (but don't go to any special effort). If it does have notches and you don't want notches I'll happily swap my notchless one for yours.

The more I ride mine the more I love it and I'm sure your experience will be the same, congratulations on your investment!

Old 05-26-17, 05:07 AM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks man,
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Yep, photos are fixed, nice one!
thank you
And yep, certainly looks the part. Frame is no different to mine but I love seeing these bikes! The 1X setup is also very, very clean (mine is 2x11).
for me I think it will be fine, in NZ you have steep mtns so I think you need the extra rations. I have a a Spesh Mtn bike that is 1X11 and a trek DS 8.6 that I plan to change to 1X11, so I will have 3 bikes with the same drivetrain and brakes. so I buy 1 set of spares. I have a spare set of brakes in case any of them break.

Suggestion for the second bottle cage mount: ABUS 6000 Folding Bike Lock - I'm getting one soon, not perfect but I don't think any lock is.

he he, I was thinking the same thing, whatever I end up putting there, I want it to have some sort of quick release.

Those pedals look awesome, I'm going to look them up - was training my sights on a set of Shimano Saint pedals, will consider these as well.

thanks they are actually mountain bike pedals but I like them, I prefer flat pedals that are fairly large so I can change positions when I ride.
As far as the pedals, i have saint pedald on my other bike and i like them however they are definitly heavier than these pedals i bought at my lbs. these come in 5 colors, i chose silver for a little contrast, the little screws are smoothe no threads so no sharp edges. They also have 2 other styles that can be changed out. I would say they are slightly larger than the shimano saints but not by much.

So the seat is stock? The Phenom Comp? It looks nice and aggressive.
yes it is the stock seat that came with it. I have never had a problem with specialized seats.

And finally, does (one of?) your headset spacers have notches on either side? It seems so from one of your pics. I'm trying to get my hands on one but Specialized tell me they don't sell it as a spare part. If you have a close up photo that would be great (but don't go to any special effort). If it does have notches and you don't want notches I'll happily swap my notchless one for yours.

Well, my plan is to get the specialized stix light and mount it there like that other guy did. that part is for sale here it comes in the kit with the mount. Maybe in NZ it is harder to come by, looks like I already have one so when I get the kit if there is an extra one I am sure we can work something out. I wont be buying many accessories for a few week as my visa card is still on fire from buying the bike. but I plan on ordering fenders and the lights soon.

The more I ride mine the more I love it and I'm sure your experience will be the same, congratulations on your investment!
Thanks man, cant wait to ride it next week, I have to go away for a few days as it is holiday here. but as soon as weather allows, I will be out on it finding a nice place to take photos.

Last edited by axxman; 05-26-17 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:35 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Every time I see real pictures of the new Sirrus, I get a (*%^#$()(&. I'm really considering giving mine to my son, and spending some more money!
Old 05-26-17, 06:42 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Very, very nice @axxman.

I have been and am tempted myself (replacement for my '10 Sirrus Comp). Two things causing delay:

1. The insane price differential currently, in Canada, and
2. I'm hoping for a design refresh in '18 that will take out the curve in the top tube (where it meets the seat tube) -- a bit like the change in the Roubaix for '17.

The first is the real impediment; the second is simply a silly aesthetic preference for straight top tubes on my part -- not a criticism at all!

Last edited by badger1; 05-26-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:48 AM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Every time I see real pictures of the new Sirrus, I get a (*%^#$()(&. I'm really considering giving mine to my son, and spending some more money!
I tested the aluminum sirrus while shopping, it was nice but the carbon x1 feels like a totally different bike. This is my firstcarbon road bike so i cannot compare to anything but i can say it feels amazing to ride
Old 05-26-17, 06:54 AM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Very, very nice @axxman.

I have been and am tempted myself (replacement for my '10 Sirrus Comp). Two things causing delay:

2. I'm hoping for a design refresh in '18 that will take out the curve in the top tube (where it meets the seat tube) -- a bit like the change in the Roubaix for '17.

The first is the real impediment; the second is simply a silly aesthetic preference for straight top tubes on my part -- not a criticism at all!
Thank you, 2018 will be out soon as of last week when i ordered, there were 14 mediums left, i was going to wait but i was having trouble sleeping.
Shame about the price diff, maybe take a trip down to the states and buy it here and ride back
Old 05-26-17, 06:57 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by badger1
Very, very nice @axxman.

It is interesting how people like different things.

The curve in the top tube of the Sirrus is something I really like the look of, and is what I feel gives the Sirrus its distinctive and classy look.

Yet I feel that the curves on something like the Giant Fastroad, take it a bit too far and is not to my liking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.