Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cervelo Aspero

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 02:13 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Alexrims finally said they'd consider a warranty replacement but only if the LBS sends them a "video" of the problem. The video basically shows the wheel spinning with an audible, continuous squeal. How much do you want to bet that Alexrims will respond that they do not warranty against rude noises?

Never again.
Old 10-09-20, 04:09 PM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Nice
Old 10-15-20, 12:25 AM
tbd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Alexrims finally said they'd consider a warranty replacement but only if the LBS sends them a "video" of the problem. The video basically shows the wheel spinning with an audible, continuous squeal. How much do you want to bet that Alexrims will respond that they do not warranty against rude noises?

Never again.
Interesting. Any update regarding your situation?
Is this creaking to be found across all Cervelo range or is it just limited to the 'C' & Aspero series?
Old 10-15-20, 04:56 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by tbd
Interesting. Any update regarding your situation?
Is this creaking to be found across all Cervelo range or is it just limited to the 'C' & Aspero series?
There is an update: Alexrims has acknowledged that the rear hub is faulty. But they do not have a replacement wheel to send me, so they are giving me a US$200 "credit" for me to use to purchase a new/different wheel. Should I use the $200 to replace only the rear wheel (the front wheel is fine) or should I spend more money and get a whole new wheel set - something other than an Alexrims, because I just don't trust them.

As for Cervelo and creaking, I have read in several places that their bottom brackets (BBRight) are very prone to creaking. My bike, it turns out, was creaking (squealing would be a more apt description) from the rear wheel hub, so my b-bracket is fine - for now. The bike only has about 500 miles on it. Time will tell.
Old 10-22-20, 09:37 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I an shockedCervelo made you go to Alex for warranty on a bike they sold you! I have never seen a major brand do that. That is terrible. $200 is not much, but is half the cost of a pretty good GRX upgrade Wheelset! On a bike that new I would want a matching wheelset. Keep the current front as a spare or sell it on eBay for $120 used.

If Alex is worth a darn they will pay you to ship the hub back to them so they can study the problem and design it out of future models. Good companies want to study their failed products to quickly make them better and better. Crappy companies could care less.

Last edited by dwmckee; 10-22-20 at 09:40 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 10-23-20, 04:39 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I an shockedCervelo made you go to Alex for warranty on a bike they sold you! I have never seen a major brand do that. That is terrible. $200 is not much, but is half the cost of a pretty good GRX upgrade Wheelset! On a bike that new I would want a matching wheelset. Keep the current front as a spare or sell it on eBay for $120 used.

If Alex is worth a darn they will pay you to ship the hub back to them so they can study the problem and design it out of future models. Good companies want to study their failed products to quickly make them better and better. Crappy companies could care less.
Yep. Alexrims offered me a $200 "credit." But the bike shop kept the wheels - I was told that I wouldn't get to keep the old wheels. "Take it or leave it." they told me. So I applied the $200 towards a new pair of Donnelly "Ushuaias." Plus tax. Plus $50 labor to swap the brake disks and the cassette. All told, I spent and additional $525 for a wheel upgrade. What aggravates me the most is how long this all took. I missed nearly four weeks of prime weather when i could have been up in the mountains riding. Now the rains and snow have come in.
Old 10-23-20, 04:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
...I missed nearly four weeks of prime weather when i could have been up in the mountains riding. Now the rains and snow have come in.
N+1 time ... or at least W+1.
Old 10-23-20, 05:35 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Yep. Alexrims offered me a $200 "credit." But the bike shop kept the wheels - I was told that I wouldn't get to keep the old wheels. "Take it or leave it." they told me. So I applied the $200 towards a new pair of Donnelly "Ushuaias." Plus tax. Plus $50 labor to swap the brake disks and the cassette. All told, I spent and additional $525 for a wheel upgrade. What aggravates me the most is how long this all took. I missed nearly four weeks of prime weather when i could have been up in the mountains riding. Now the rains and snow have come in.
Ah, our snow is still off a bit here. You just have to get the right tires on there and keep riding through it!
Old 03-24-21, 11:55 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelED
Picked up a 54cm Aspero and swapped all my parts over from my Carbonda 505. I've got 3 rides on it so far, all incorporating tons of dirt that some might say are "MTB trails", and it's handled it all exceptionally well. Ride is incredible and geometry is nearly perfect for me. With my "road" setup (700x36 Challenge Strada Bianca TLR), it feels like a fast road bike.
I am trying to decide between Carbonda 696 and Aspero as my +1 bike, do you feel Aspero is THAT much better? Any details? Thanks!
Old 03-24-21, 04:47 PM
Tak555

Bikes: Specialized A1 Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
i have a 51cm seabreeze aspero with rx600 build on order... who knows if it will ever show up!
Old 03-26-21, 02:54 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Plus $50 labor to swap the brake disks and the cassette. All told, I spent and additional $525 for a wheel
Thank you for the reminder as to why I do all the work on my bikes. $50 to swap rotors and cassette?!