Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever get bike burnout?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 03:02 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

By the end of May this year, I had logged twice as many miles as the same time last year. June went fairly well, although I got behind by 150 miles vs last June.

By mid-July, my enthusiasm has lagged markedly.

A lot has to do with all of the organized ride cancellations. There has yet to be a normal ride this season because of the pandemic; no rest stops, no group starts, no after-party meals. Everyone on their own, for either a virtual ride, a "ride-wherever-you-like", or show up and ride the route when you feel like it.

Home projects started stacking up, as well, and the summer heat, and especially the humidity, has put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Also, our big local event for early September - BikeMS - just announced its cancellation.

Anyone else feeling the blahs for training and riding? Any suggestions for a kick-in-the-pants to jump-start the season?
Old 07-17-20, 03:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Get a fix gear. The rides are very different. They also pack more ride into shorter times and distances. They require very little attention..Ride 'em, put 'em away, pull 'em out next week, pump the tires and go.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-17-20, 03:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The above said, if you haven't ridden fix gear yet - you will try to coast! It will not end well unless - you have a seat low enough that you cannot lock your knee or even come close.

If you go this route, do yourself a favor. Put a piece of tape on the seatpost exactly 1/2" above the frame. Drop the seat to the tape. Now, when you try to coast, you will 1) not crash and 2) won't do your muscles and tendons nearly as much harm. (I didn't take this advice when I did my first fix gear ride. Tried to coast to let three oncoming cars pass so I could take a left turn. My left pedal shot me and the attached bicycle into the air, having just converted much of my 20 mph forward speed to vertical. Landed hard on the road but little road rash because I had so nicely burned off speed. But my left leg felt like fresh ground hamburger. As you repeat the coasting attempts. your legs and reflexes will relearn that instint and you can start moving the seat back to where it belongs.

Also be advised - fix gears have been known to be addicting. I did that first ride and have had one or more ever since, now for 44 years.
Old 07-18-20, 06:00 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My motivation to ride and exercise comes from within. I don't care about pandemics, event cancelations, group rides or any of that stuff. As long as I am healthy and uninjured I continue to ride and workout...The alternative to not riding and not working out doesn't look good and that alone is enough to motivate me to keep going regardless of external circumstances.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-18-20, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I'd say sometimes I haven't been motivated enough, but I don't know that I'd call it burnout. There are times I'll have plenty of free time and think about riding.... sort of like right now...<grin>.... and don't.

It's really been a big help that my oldest son moved back to the area and will sometimes ask if I want to go riding. Likewise I think it does the same for him when I ask him. Sorta makes it a ego thing and you can't back down at that point.

I've wished that my friends had an inclination to cycle. Perhaps I should make some cycling friends so I'd have more people asking about going riding. Thought about getting with the groups that leave from the bike shops. They all leave about 9:00 am. Even though I get up at 6:00 am, I just don't care to cycle till after lunch.
Old 07-18-20, 10:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My motivation to ride and exercise comes from within. I don't care about pandemics, event cancelations, group rides or any of that stuff. As long as I am healthy and uninjured I continue to ride and workout...The alternative to not riding and not working out doesn't look good and that alone is enough to motivate me to keep going regardless of external circumstances.
Ain't that the truth! The alternative is . . . unthinkable. That said, the unthinkable does have a habit of becoming reality all too often. Where we have the power, and as long as we have that power, let us keep the horror at bay as best we can. Just swinging a leg over is life-affirming.
Old 07-18-20, 01:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Take a break. Lose your computer. Go for an easy ride and check out the scenery.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-20-20, 05:37 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I get burned out doing any single thing too much, so I've always mixed hiking and (until I tore my rotator cuff) kayaking in the mix.

That said, one way I've found to keep my cycling determination up currently (with lots of major charity/group rides cancelled) is to join the cyber "challenge" equivalent of the ride many of them are putting on. The Rails to Trails Conservancy Great American Ride is one where 3 friends and I joined (late) and it is a good motivation to at least do the short boring rides since it will help move us east!

My local biking club has a similar but simpler Strava chellenge for a cancelled century ride - my miles feed that, too!

The downside: only mileage counts, not watts or climbing. So, always tempting to do the easier rides...
Old 07-21-20, 07:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Something about the roads that turn people into monsters, especially those loaded with money and power.
Debatable. Not many people loaded with money and power drive around in lifted pickups with exhaust systems modified to spew choking clouds of smoke at bike riders on command.

A few of us here remember Competitive Cycling, a racer's publication that went out of business sometime in the early '80s, I think. One article listed the writer's top 6 types of drivers to beware. Number 1: teenage girls, because if you're not another teenage girl or a good-looking boy, you're invisible.
Old 07-21-20, 08:26 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
I got burnout last year at this time. Family/work obligations and rehashing the same routes for the last few years took it out of me. So I picked up jogging, which was great. Doing a 10k in a touch over an hour is like two hours on the bike for me. I found I was more diligent about stretches, and this coupled with some knee workouts made a big difference this year in my cycling fitness and comfort!

This year I have a new gravel bike, which allows me to easily ride a wide variety of terrain on a single ride. As 79pmooney alluded to, mixing up your cycling variety is great. I ride my mtb, which helps build mental focus. You don't realize how much you space out riding road until you have to stay 100% mentally "on" for an hour riding single track.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 07-21-20, 10:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
When I feel burned out on the road bike or just need a break I switch to my hybrid with albatross bars. No way to ride fast so it encourages me to take it easy.

I planned to do that recently when the weather got so hot anyway. Then all three of my road bike wheelsets went bad the same week, two with cracked rear rims, one needs hub servicing.

So I'm riding the hybrid, slowly, while waiting for the replacement wheelset and getting up the gumption to work on the old DT Swiss hub. I need to overhaul the entire road bike anyway, new cables and service the headset. Might as well do it now while it's so hot.
Old 08-27-20, 03:04 AM
katrinoricci

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do we take into consideration burn-out after an accident? Like I want to, but I dont feel like it is safe for me already
Old 08-27-20, 04:47 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
You think you’re burnt out on riding or training in general?

I mix it up quite a bit. Sometimes I’ll ride every other day for a few weeks straight. But then I’ll do some HIIT cardio training, say a tough 45 minute kickboxing cardio workout on “cycling” days instead of riding.

I really like it since, well, you use your arms for one thing, lol. Also, you move in all different ways, at different angles, through different planes. So you train your body to much more thoroughly.
Old 08-29-20, 05:52 PM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big believer in the mental and physical benefits of cross-training. I train like I’m preparing for a tri even though I haven’t done one in two years.