Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for new handlebar recommendations for gravel/road

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 06:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I’ve got my first gravel bike but I’m not in love with the bars - they’re a bit larger than I like; longer reach, bigger drop, wide flare.

Can someone recommend a bar that is good for both gravel and road riding, has a pretty short reach, compact drops and little to no flare. A slight back sweep is ok but not a dealbreaker.

Maybe a better question to ask would be - is there anything that makes a gravel bar a gravel bar? Or can I use a road bar that I like because it doesn’t matter?

Looking to spend around $70?

thanks!
Old 09-20-20, 07:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I’ve got my first gravel bike but I’m not in love with the bars - they’re a bit larger than I like; longer reach, bigger drop, wide flare.

Can someone recommend a bar that is good for both gravel and road riding, has a pretty short reach, compact drops and little to no flare. A slight back sweep is ok but not a dealbreaker.

Maybe a better question to ask would be - is there anything that makes a gravel bar a gravel bar? Or can I use a road bar that I like because it doesn’t matter?

thanks!
You can use any kind of handlebar you want. There are plenty of decent options for a handlebar of the sort you are describing; here are a few from Shimano, all reasonably-priced.
Old 09-20-20, 07:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Most gravel bars have a bit of flare and are a bit wider than a road bar. Also gravel bars are usually shallow drop. But you can do whatever you want. A good 'average' gravel bar is the Salsa Cowbell. you may want to try a shorter stem first as that is a lot easiest and cheaper to change. The wider bars are to give you more leverage when navigating bigger rocks, ledges and holes.
Good carbon bars are expensive, but do a lot to dampen vibrations common in gravel....
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 09-20-20, 07:38 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I replaced the stock bar on my Kona Rove with a Salsa Cowbell--quite pleased with it. The Kona bar had a really deep drop which I hated when descending in the drops on rough terrain. Check out the Cowbell--lots of width options, only $50 at Jenson: https://salsacycles.com/components/category/road_handlebars/cowbell

https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Cowbell-Drop-Bar

Last edited by pbass; 09-20-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 07:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
The cowbell is a good choice. If you can afford carbon, try the Whisky 24F. Coming from narrow road drops, my gf adapted to the short flared drops without a murmur, on her new gravel bike.
Old 09-20-20, 07:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

FSA Adventure Compact Road Bar: $45

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=85075

I use this gravel bar on my (road) touring bike.
I use a similar but carbon and unflared FSA road bar on my gravel bike. I would get this in carbon for that bike if it were available.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-20-20, 08:28 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
The cowbell is a good choice. If you can afford carbon, try the Whisky 24F. Coming from narrow road drops, my gf adapted to the short flared drops without a murmur, on her new gravel bike.
I have a set of Cowbell handlebars on my Warbird. They are very comfortable handlebars. Only quible is that they are pretty heavy. 315g or so for the bar. That Whisky 24F looks pretty nice.

Dave
Old 09-20-20, 08:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I have a set of Cowbell handlebars on my Warbird. They are very comfortable handlebars. Only quible is that they are pretty heavy. 315g or so for the bar. That Whisky 24F looks pretty nice.

Dave
It's all about the bike "jewelry". Do you love your bike? Then buy her some jewelry.
Old 09-20-20, 08:57 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I do like those whiskey bars - can't afford the carbon version though. so far they have the shortest reach i've found at around 67mm (though the salsa cowbell is about the same). Most of the other bars from ritchey and FSA are still around 74 reach.
I need short because man, those GRX hood ramps are a mile long.
Whatever I get I'm pairing it with a nice Ritchey WCS C220 70mm stem.
Old 09-21-20, 09:06 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I think the Ritchey WCS bars have some nice choices. The ergo max has a subtle flair, flat tops, is swept back, and has even a little rise.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Ritchey-WC...op-Handlebar-3

I think you will like the compact drop, and the swept back design would work for you. Personally, I am maybe 2cm wider than my road bars.

I know I am backwards to some, but I think flared bars are a hot steaming mess.
If I'm in the drops, I'm going fast and I want to be aero.
Realistically, most people spend very little time in the drops anyway.
I want control and comfort when I'm on the top or on the hoods, not in the drops.
Flared is the opposite of this (and it does goofy things to the angle of the brake lever).
A little flare is OK, but I certainly don't want much.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-21-20, 01:18 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I think the Ritchey WCS bars have some nice choices. The ergo max has a subtle flair, flat tops, is swept back, and has even a little rise.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Ritchey-WC...op-Handlebar-3

I think you will like the compact drop, and the swept back design would work for you. Personally, I am maybe 2cm wider than my road bars.

I know I am backwards to some, but I think flared bars are a hot steaming mess.
If I'm in the drops, I'm going fast and I want to be aero.
Realistically, most people spend very little time in the drops anyway.
I want control and comfort when I'm on the top or on the hoods, not in the drops.
Flared is the opposite of this (and it does goofy things to the angle of the brake lever).
A little flare is OK, but I certainly don't want much.
100% agree with this.
If I'm tackling gnarly terrain, I'm on the hoods. I ride in the drops to get more aero, and I don't want my brake levers sticking out at an odd angle.

I get that there are some people who only ride in the drops and never on the hoods, and for them a flared bar probably works well. I'm not one of those people.
Old 09-21-20, 01:39 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Same.

The bar that came stock on the bike is a 78mm reach, 126mm drop, seems to be 40cm wide, and 12 degree flare on the drops. I don't care for it.

I think I'm gonna end up with that Whiskey No7 6F bar: 67mm reach, 125mm drop, a 42cm width, and only 6 degree of flare which is barely noticeable.

I really wanted to pair the Ritchey stem with a Ritchey bar, but I wasn't keen on a lot of the shapes, and the smallest reach was 73mm.
Old 09-21-20, 06:15 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’ve had The Velo Orange Nuevo Rando on my singlespeed ‘cross/gravel bike for awhile and it’s become a favorite of mine. Very little flare in the drops, and the flats are ovalized and swept back a degree or two. Worth a look:

https://velo-orange.com/products/nou...neur-handlebar
Old 09-21-20, 11:25 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
100% agree with this.
If I'm tackling gnarly terrain, I'm on the hoods. I ride in the drops to get more aero, and I don't want my brake levers sticking out at an odd angle.

I get that there are some people who only ride in the drops and never on the hoods, and for them a flared bar probably works well. I'm not one of those people.
Where I ride, I have to use the drops on quite a few descents, not to be aero, but because I risk my hands getting bounced off the hoods. I'm talking steep, rocky fireroads and singletrack (which is kind of everywhere here, unless you're on pavement!). I was surprised actually how quickly I got used to that position going down this sketchy stuff---now I quite like being that low. But I'm totally comfortable w the amount of slight flare on the Cowbell. Would be curious to try something more extreme one day but I guess if it ain't broke...
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-22-20, 06:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Like most everything else in cycling there is no right or wrong for handlebar flare.
Some like more and think the slower steering that comes from flsred bars helpful when riding loose surfaces.
Some like less and think the wider drops slow them down due to being incrementally less aero.

Wide bars, narrow bars, flared bars, swept bars, etc etc etc. No right or wrong way.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/hb-dbsc-sl70-b1
This is 70mm reach, 128mm drop, and 4 degrees of sweep.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-20, 09:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Same.

The bar that came stock on the bike is a 78mm reach, 126mm drop, seems to be 40cm wide, and 12 degree flare on the drops. I don't care for it.

I think I'm gonna end up with that Whiskey No7 6F bar: 67mm reach, 125mm drop, a 42cm width, and only 6 degree of flare which is barely noticeable.

I really wanted to pair the Ritchey stem with a Ritchey bar, but I wasn't keen on a lot of the shapes, and the smallest reach was 73mm.
that could be a good bar.

I've gotten addicted to swept back bars with flatish tops. Doesn't need to be much (12°?) but it shortens the reach and puts my hand in a little more comfortable position when riding on the top.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-22-20, 10:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
100% agree with this.

"Knarly terrain" gets ridden in the drops. I have had the bars slip downward when landing jumps on the hoods and it is awkward. I like the Rando bars from VO, Nitto Noodles, or several of the dirt drop varieties.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-22-20, 02:35 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Satori X-Race Aero.

Oval top and swept back.
Old 09-22-20, 08:06 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

thanks!
I love Cowbells for road and gravel, I think it checks most of your boxes, but it depends on what you consider “little” flare. The Cowbell is flared but just a little bit
Old 09-23-20, 01:52 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Specialized makes an alloy bar that retails for $55 (US). It's reach is 70mm on a 42cm. It's dimensions are 103mm drop x 70mm reach x 12d flare...but, it has a 15mm rise from the clamp that reduces the overall drop to 88mm from the clamp. It is based off a short reach, non flared bar that they spec on "lower" end gravel/cx bike. The flare puts the bar end about 2cm (4cm overall) wider than the brifters.

I use it and like the subtle flare, it is visually subtle, but it can be felt. I think if you go to 6d flare, you may be disappointed...agree 24d is significant. And yeah, I know what you're saying about the GRX brifters. I'm contemplating a shorter stem because of their length.
Old 09-23-20, 06:31 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I find Salsa Cowbells to be pretty comfy. very compact, minimal flare. mostly feel like a regular road bar but the flare is nice when you need the extra control of riding in the hooks. there's not weirdness to the position on the hoods like some of the flared "dirt drop" type bars.
Old 09-23-20, 07:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I used Ritchey ErgoMax Comp bars on a recent drop bar conversion. If memory serves, I think the specs are nearly identical to the Salsa Cowbells and have flattops

Old 09-23-20, 08:41 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
I’ve got Whisky no9 12f carbon bars on my Gravel bike. I may be wrong but I believe they are the same flare and drop as Salsa Cowbells. I’ve had a number of drop bar bikes and currently have 3 with carbon drops on them, the Whisky’s are far and away my favorite.
Old 09-23-20, 08:59 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

pulled the trigger last night on the Whiskey No.7 6F bar, paired with a Ritchey WCS C220 70mm -17d stem

thanks for all the great recommendations, everyone. It definitely put a lot of other bars on my radar.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 09-23-20, 09:57 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Even though it seems like you've found your bars, I thought I'd mention these new Redshift bars since they seem to match what you want, aside from the moderate flare.

https://redshiftsports.com/products/...32608300531791

They have a lot more rise than I've seen on most bars, pretty short reach, and a nifty front loop for a semi aero position. I've been keeping an eye on them as someone who likes a more relaxed back/shoulder position, and am only hesitating because of the potential that the extra flare would make the hoods angled too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.