Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter pants with long inseam (men's)?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 02:59 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have been winter commuting for over ten years and have a set of clothing that works for me pretty well. Except for pants. Never been happy with what I have. I had a pair of tall-size tights but they have worn out and are no longer made. I have a long inseam (35-36") so most pants are too short which really cuts the number of options available. I prefer slim-cut pants over tights, preferably not cycling-specific and with pockets, etc. Searching Bike Forums, people suggest Foxwear or Sporthill cross country pants. Any other ideas out there I'm missing?
Old 10-18-20, 08:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
CharlieFree I commute in golf shorts because of the pockets and the belt loops, which I clip my elastic-chord key ring to, and wear a belt which I mount my phone-holster to.
In the winter I wear non-bike specific tights over the shorts. I use elastic hair bands to gather the pant legs. Since everything is black it all looks okay at first glance, but I really don't care too much about appearances at this point.

I guess what I'm saying is tights and leggings can go over your usual pants.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-18-20, 07:27 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
In the summer I do the same as Bobby- either golf or basketball shorts...

But, in the winter, if I have to be walking through a store I’ll put socially polite golf khakis (thin fabric that rolls down small to pack in a bag) on over my tights... not trying to look like Quail Man.

Highly recommend Pearl Izumi Elite AmFib pants/bibs. I’m 90% sure mine are medium. My shoeless upright to the bone inseam is 36” and to have them fitting with no sag has the cuffs less than an inch above my ankles. I’m not in love with the knee stitch placement, but it works fine.

Got them last winter and, with hard riding, wool socks, press-n-seal over my SPD shoes/ankles and up under the PI cuffs a few inches, I was fine for commutes/rides under an hour down to -10F. Gentle riding might have the lower limit at 20F without long underwear. Complete torture if it gets over 60F.

They do have a compression fit which was worrisome at first. I thought I was going to break them. Daily use for three-four months and they look fine.

Just picked up some Craft overpants for that pesky 35-65F range and the fit is... weird. Kinda loose on my thighs which looks less clownish to my normie coworkers, but still clownish enough to want to throw golf pants over at the bike rack for the walk to the changing room.
Old 10-19-20, 08:21 PM
havighurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had a few items (jacket, vest, and pants) made by foxwear. They fit perfectly as they are all custom made to my measurments. The quality has been outstanding.