Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Arthroscopic knee surgery

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 07:54 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I had arthroscopic knee surgery on Friday (10/16/2020) to clean up some scar tissue from previous injury, and some arthritis. In pre-op, the surgeon told me that I would be able to resume cycling as soon as I felt up to it. And honestly, post-op I have been in very little pain...haven't even needed any of the pain meds prescribed. I literally felt like I could have ridden the next day. I have PT today and will see what they suggest. But just wondering how soon others may have returned to riding after the same procedure.

Dan
Old 10-19-20, 08:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
3 days after, but low effort. It took about a month before I could go fairly hard again. When they did my knee, they filled it with fluid, "blew it up," to make space for the instruments, which created a lot of scar tissue. The hardest thing was busting loose that scar tissue.
Old 10-19-20, 09:28 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Had arthroscopic meniscus repair about 22 years ago (roughly age 41). I was not riding much at the time, but was golfing a lot. I walked 18 carrying my bag after 3 weeks. The puffed mine up with fluid also.
Old 11-17-21, 08:09 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Follow the advice of your doctor and therapist. They know this stuff, for sure. Post ACL repair I learned to let the pain be my guide. The Stair-Machine-of-Doom brought me bck the last 10 or 15%.

Luck,
fat biker