Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie frame delimma

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixie frame delimma

Old 10-24-20, 08:21 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fixie frame delimma

A while back I decided to add a Fixie/ss to my stable. I've looked at most of the cheaper offerings online. I determined to keep it under $300 or so. Then one day I was given a 700c flip-flop wheelset. Now I have wheels but no frame yet. The trouble is finding one in my size. I was going to convert an old road bike but for some reason I can't find anything in a 48 to 50 or so size.

My only options so far to get me going so I can upgrade later is the following. There is a GMC Denali frameset in 52cm, my own old Varisty also a 52cm and a Nishiki FFS Tourist in a 49cm frame. That bike has that front freewheel gizmo in it. I know these are all miserable heavy choices but that's all there is in my area. You see, no one over 12 rides where I live.

I have most of what I need sitting around waiting to be hung on a frame. What would you do with such meager choices?
Old 10-24-20, 10:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Find a local or semi-local bike shop and see what they can get you. A GMC Denali is a massive gas guzzling SUV and a really crappy hunk of junk shaped like a bit. The Nishiki is an interesting bit of tech but not an exceptional bike. They both probably could use a fixie but are not worth the fixie, I would just leave them as brokies.

You could also look at Retrogression one of the members of this forum owns it and while maybe not local to you is at least a true brick and mortar shop that sells fixed gears and fixed gear accessories exclusively so is a great resource to someone looking for a fixed gear.
Old 10-25-20, 06:12 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
you made this post so I can only assume you have the internet. there are 100's of frame options available on the www. if you still can't figure it out maybe ask one of the 12 year olds in your area to help you.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 10-25-20, 08:58 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
you made this post so I can only assume you have the internet. there are 100's of frame options available on the www. if you still can't figure it out maybe ask one of the 12 year olds in your area to help you.
So informative, this internetty thing you speak of is flooded with overpriced whatever, decent stuff and absolute junk and much of it still not in his price range. His inclusion of a GMC Denali should speak to the OP's understanding and need for help

Finding something in your range might be more difficult. You'll want Craigslist for something affordable or Amazon usually has some frames and bikes in your range. Just look for cro-moly versions. Some are cheaper steel and really heavy.
Old 10-25-20, 10:01 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Same boat as you, needing a small frame. I bought a Trek 510 frame off ebay for this purpose but ended up keeping it as a derailleur geared bike. I then found an aluminum framed fixie at a local pawn shop that was too tall for me, but I dropped the seatpost down so I could at least try the concept out and see if I’d like it.

I do like it!

So now am in the process of converting over an old Tange tubed Bianchi. Good luck!
Old 10-25-20, 02:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Pianoboy57
A while back I decided to add a Fixie/ss to my stable. […] My only options so far to get me going so I can upgrade later is the following. There is a GMC Denali frameset in 52cm, my own old Varisty also a 52cm and a Nishiki FFS Tourist in a 49cm frame. That bike has that front freewheel gizmo in it.
Which one fits you best?

Front freewheel pretty much precludes a fixed gear conversion, but ought to be useable as a single-speed.
Old 10-27-20, 09:43 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I had to google this front freewheel thing when I read it, and I am just beyond perplexed. But anyway, you could turn the Varsity into a fixie/single speed pretty easily. Those things are like tanks, heavy as hell but they last forever,
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-28-20, 11:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I had to google this front freewheel thing when I read it, and I am just beyond perplexed. But anyway, you could turn the Varsity into a fixie/single speed pretty easily. Those things are like tanks, heavy as hell but they last forever,
Oh good ole' whacky Shimano. They also had hydro disc brakes around that time too, sure they weighed 8 pounds but they were actual hydraulic disc brakes and I think the only time Shimano used DOT fluid in their brakes. I really want to try a bike with Airlines (which is a newer affair from the 90s which got rid of those damn cables and used air instead)
Old 10-29-20, 04:59 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I too would fix the Varsity. If it's a running bike it wouldn't take much time or money to do. When you do find a nicer frame, you can do that too.
Old 10-29-20, 12:04 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I keep considering the Varsity from time to time. It's only problem is that it is too tall. That Nishiki is my size and I've done some research as to removing that front freewheel junk. You only have to pull the crank arms and the whole thing comes off with it. I have another Japanese roadster of maybe the same brand that is a 25" which is useless to me. It has a similar crankset with a single ring and no front freewheel so hopefully it would be a matter of switching crank arms from one to another.

My ultimate goal is to create something that looks like that State Bicycles Delfin which I think is gorgeous in that pale turquoise color. My wheels aren't like the Delfin's but then beggars can't be choosers. The guy with the Nishiki frame still has it. I'm not surprised about it still being for sale. I'm working on a day to go see it.
Old 10-29-20, 12:15 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Pianoboy57
I keep considering the Varsity from time to time. It's only problem is that it is too tall.
Too tall standover wise? If it has the original 27" wheels your 700c wheels will drop it down a bit.
Old 10-30-20, 06:30 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Go grab this one NOW - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...48-cm-f-f.html